DEPECHE MODE APPRECIATION THREAD

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
That's right, shit had to be done again. Top 1-5 for me has to be:I'm really bad with writing lengthy appreciation things (or anything lengthy in general) so I'm sure someone else can takeover for me. I'll just add that like Harvey, I too had a Depeche Mode shirt I wore in high school (yeah I know) and it got me clowned but girls loved that shit. I wouldn't be friends with my best female friend if we didn't bond over Depeche Mode.I think this is one of the softest posts I've ever wrote.

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    this and the documentary too

and i want to add that i am glad/surprised that harvey's favorite dm song is shake the disease too

• JINX TO THREAD!

• I don't know too many depeche mode songs ( I wasn't raaa...aahh fuck it) but the ones I have been told that they did I really liked or just remember enjoying growing up (Or is that the cure?).

Anyways I'm genuinely interested and curious on what to check out by these dudes. KNOWLEDGE ME

• I think this is one of the softest posts I've ever wrote.

Your whole style is chump, hawaiin beach dude.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    this and the documentary too

i hadn't seen this in awhile and rented the dvd. on the special features they do a 'where are they now' type segment with 3 of the fans. appearently one of them had a minor dance hit in germany. oh yeah, and black celebration is the album.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Depeche is that shit! Was not a big fan at first but over the years they have grown on me. Saw them a few years ago and is up there for one of my favorite shows.

"People Are People" and "World In My Eyes"

DM Batches!

i hadn't seen this in awhile and rented the dvd. on the special features they do a 'where are they now' type segment with 3 of the fans.

yeah it's been years for me too, i think it's time to queue it up in the netflix.

and to co-sign what bassie said in the other thread about it being the perfect music to listen to while driving, i remember being in 7th grade and my sister's new boyfriend at the time was awesome and took me and my sister on a little daytrip to santa cruz and was blasting 101 the whole way down hwy17. he also had a black flag tattoo and i pretty much thought he was the coolest fucker on the planet at that time

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    catching up with is my shit.

virginia beach 1986. when we weren't on boogie boards, skate boards or the radio wasn't on WRAP we had that depeche mode album on....

• the asian gang member who i used to get a carride up to high school with was always on some fuckin new wave bullshit. id try to advocate for some hiphop (low end theory did get some airtime), but mostly got "my car motherfucker, you can walk" end of story

but NOW, when i hear DM or the cure, it brings back good memories and some of the joints are hot as hell. hollertronix rode a couple back in the day to great reactions.

hats off to my newfound openmindedness (and open earedness)

Anyways I'm genuinely interested and curious on what to check out by these dudes. KNOWLEDGE ME

the albums brian posted + 101 are good. if you mean songs i'll ride for

never let me down again
    behind the wheel
    sacred
    personal jesus (there's a really nice acoustic version of this too)
    halo
    policy of truth
    shake the disease
    pleasure little treasure
    a question of time
    nothing

and i posted "i feel you" in the shame thread

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Please 'Take This Shit To THEBEAKERS.com"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the asian gang member who i used to get a carride up to high school with was always on some fuckin new wave bullshit. id try to advocate for some hiphop (low end theory did get some airtime), but mostly got "my car motherfucker, you can walk" end of story

but NOW, when i hear DM or the cure, it brings back good memories and some of the joints are hot as hell. hollertronix rode a couple back in the day to great reactions.

hats off to my newfound openmindedness (and open earedness)
    haha, i remember this from the last time i posted a depeche mode appreciation thread.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Enjoy The Silence was the only thing I ever REALLY liked by them and I always liked the video too.
    The rest of the stuff was ok... not great, not bad, I kinda lumped them in with The Smiths as 'depressed college kid' music*

*I grew up in the UK

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

never let me down again
    behind the wheel
    sacred
    halo
    policy of truth
    shake the disease
    pleasure little treasure
    a question of time
    nothing

Strange Love
    People are People
    Master and Servant
    Enjoy The Silence

The truth is in many of their 12" releases. Some great remixes there.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yeah, i could start a whole other thread on the 12"s. a lot of corny remixes but some truly great ones too.

if this girls flakes out on me tonight, i will get drunk and get some Microwave ready dm shit popping

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

never let me down again
    behind the wheel
    sacred
    halo
    policy of truth
    shake the disease
    pleasure little treasure
    a question of time
    nothing

Strange Love
    People are People
    Master and Servant
    Enjoy The Silence

All this, and no EVERYTHING COUNTS?

THE GRAPH (the graph)
    ON THE WALL (the graph)
    TELLS THE STORY (the graph)
    OF IT ALL (the graph)
    PICTURE IT NOW (the graph)
    SEE JUST HOW (the graph)
    THE LIES AND DECEIT (the graph)
    GAINED A LITTLE MORE POWER (on the wall)

WHAT THE HELL INSTRUMENT IS HE PLAYING AT THE BEGINNING?

THE SAZ??

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

"Walking in my shoes"

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    On a related note, I like the Martin Gore version of "Coming back to you" on that Leonard Cohen tribute album

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    The version of Everything Counts at the end of 101 has to be the greatest crowd sing along of all time.

Back in high school days people used to think i was a bit odd listening to DM on the regular.

I'm surprised they haven't had more of a resurgence lately, given the 80s 'electro' revival that is going on. Well at least down here.

All this, and no EVERYTHING COUNTS?

oops! yes very nice.

i found that acoustic version of personal jesus

i like it

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    personal jesus

and that Johnny Cash version?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

THE SAZ??

seriously, though.

He plays it "live" here:

for young phonics while i have violator handy

halo

policy of truth

personal jesus

THE SAZ??

seriously, though.

that sound is on roxy music's ladytron too! i think it might be an oboe painted red

• if this girls flakes out on me tonight, i will get drunk and get some Microwave ready dm shit popping

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    IT FIGURES THAT THE MOST WHITE LATINO I KNOW WOULD PULL SOME RACIST SHIT LIKE THAT

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I'M SORRY- I think I deleted the other thread by mistake!!!

I just saw "Never Let Me Down" at this Vietnamese bakery on a plasma screen and I had a flashback to 8th grade smoking clove cigarettes in my room all moody and shit (Roostless, tell Mom and I'll kill you!!)

NEVER LET ME DOWN!!!!!!!!!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

i can get behind these 3. violator sounds incredible - great production. but ill say it again, i cant deal with the personal jesus song. i just dont like that jaunty swing rhythm.

• I think this is one of the softest posts I've ever wrote.

~ people are people

i can get behind these 3. violator sounds incredible - great production. but ill say it again, i cant deal with the personal jesus song. i just dont like that jaunty swing rhythm.

i can understand that for sure. but after listening that twangy repetitive guitar riff a lot today i realized that it has a nasty swagger that reminds me of touch n go jesus lizard, which i like and can't be mad it. it seems the biggest difference is the polished production i've accepted that i really like it and i don't care who knows it