BILLY LARKIN & THE DELEGATES

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
one of the first posts i made when i joined Soul Strut was on this crew...only got one or two responses (this was back when Soul Strut was more about samples than actual music), but now im gon' try again...classic soul-jazz group who split the difference between Booker T. and Jimmy McGriff...for a band that made as many albums as they did (on the World Pacific label in the 1960's), they dont seem to get a lot of props (or reissues!) as they should...too bad, because tracks like "dirty water," "ain't that a groove," "pigmy" and many others shouldn't be lost...ALL BILLY LARKIN & THE DELEGATES FANS IN THE HOUSE, HOLLA IF YOU HEAR ME!

Comments

• Funky

• I know there is a song by them that I dig but i can't remember the name... red wine maybe?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Their version of It's A Man's World gives me shivers. Great example of minimal heaviosity.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm down. I like all 4 or 5 albums I have
    by them, but even more than the World Pacific
    albums, I like this one the best:

Now excuse me, I need to go listen to my
    Odell Brown & the Organizers LP's ...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    They were from Portland OR. I guess Billy lives here but he almost never plays out. I have no idea what he does do. Lives off of dating game royalties I guess.

The drummers name is Mel Brown. He also did some drumming for Motown and toured with the Supremes and other Motown acts for years.

Mel lives here in town and plays out almost every night of the week. He has a trio, an organ groove group and a big band and probably some other groups. His big band cds have been nominated for grammys I think. He also works 40 hours a week as an accountant and works in his yard in his spare time. Buzy guy.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    They were from Portland OR. I guess Billy lives here but he almost never plays out. I have no idea what he does do. Lives off of dating game royalties I guess.

They used his song as a Dating Game theme or something? Which one?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    somebody here should do a billy larkin mix and post it up...

I'm down. I like all 4 or 5 albums I have
    by them, but even more than the World Pacific
    albums, I like this one the best:

Yeah, that was their first album ever, on the Aura label.

For what it's worth, Aura later changed their name to World Pacific.

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts
    Russell & Williams Street, from I Got the Feeling:

Russell & Williams Street, from I Got the Feeling:

That's Portland, Russell & Williams street. I was just there.

I thought this was well known. I thought the original show used a Billy Larkin theme. Now I'm thinking maybe it was Herb Albert, or a different show or I can't find nothing on the internets.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I thought this was well known. I thought the original show used a Billy Larkin theme. Now I'm thinking maybe it was Herb Albert, or a different show or I can't find nothing on the internets.

As far as I know, the the theme to Dating Game is/was "Tijuana Taxi"
    by the Tijuana Brass.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    just picked up the pigmy 45...i'm diggin it.

• They were from Portland OR. I guess Billy lives here but he almost never plays out. I have no idea what he does do. Lives off of dating game royalties I guess.

As far as I know, the the theme to Dating Game is/was "Tijuana Taxi"
    by the Tijuana Brass.

The Dating Game "theme" was 'Whipped Cream', recorded by Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, originally[/b] recorded by the Stokes on Alon, written by none other than Allen Toussaint[/b].

PS on Larkin

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

I could look on the net, but I prefer to ask YOU FELLAS if you know why they disbanded in the 70's... lildude question

I could look on the net, but I prefer to ask YOU FELLAS if you know why they disbanded in the 70's... lildude question

I have no idea - that's what I'm trying to find out - but I'm guessing either they (a) disbanded because of the changing times (synths made organs look mighty dated in the '70s), or (b) may have kept going in some other incarnation, we just don't know it.

I have no idea - that's what I'm trying to find out - but I'm guessing either they (a) disbanded because of the changing times (synths made organs look mighty dated in the '70s), or (b) may have kept going in some other incarnation, we just don't know it.

I know nothing about the guitarist. Billy retired to Portland is what I have always been told. I have already posted a brief Mel Brown bio.

I thought they did a game show theme in the 60s, but I can find no proof.