Bronx is Burning (Y/N? Boobtube related)

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Has anyone been watching this show on ESPN? I cought it a couple of times and think I may have to become a regular viewer. That summer is one of the first summers that I actually really remember growing up. I remember how hot it was, and I remember the Yankees and I sure as hell remember son of sam. But I guess I was too young to really know what was going on. Anyway, the acting is pretty good, the backdrop makes for a perfect setting, and even wifey likes it.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Great show! I look forward to watching it every week. Oliver Platt is killing it as Steinbrenner.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I love how the actors really look like the players. Last night when I was flipping through the stations, I was like...damn, was that Chris Chambliss?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I love how the actors really look like the players. Last night when I was flipping through the stations, I was like...damn, was that Chris Chambliss?

Haha yeah, the casting is impeccable, and the dudes who play Thurmon Munson and Craig Nettles! Last night they had a little short documentary about the pulling of Reggie where they talked to the actual players. It's really quite awesome.

My wife was like "Who's Bucky Dent!"

I never knew that Munson was such a dick in real life. Not to talk shit about the dead, but...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    for a while i thought that it was really Jimmy Breslin, if Breslin is even still alive.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    This was actually filmed in my town last summer (New London, CT). They regularly took over area bars, streets, etc in their attempt to simulate a metropolis using our tiny city. I only caught a brief snippet of an episode and it struck me as awkwardly produced. I'll have to give it another look.

In New Orleans, we didn't have our own baseball team so a lot of people defaulted to being Yankee fans. While sure, it was probably a good case of frontrunning, then again...Ron Guidry wasn't called "Louisiana Lightning" because he was from Buffalo and back then the Yanks would come to play a series of pre-season games in the Superdoem every year. Anyway, a lot of us kids were into baseball cards and even though it isn't really considered a valuable card, dudes in my neighborhood went absolutely bonkers over this card:

I never knew that Munson was such a dick in real life. Not to talk shit about the dead, but...

Me neither...my previous understanding was that Munson was some sort of perfect god to be worshipped and praised at all times. And like you, I'm old enough to remember that being the treatment he got even before the plane crash.

• Options
    In New Orleans, we didn't have our own baseball team so a lot of people defaulted to being Yankee fans. While sure, it was probably a good case of frontrunning, then again...Ron Guidry wasn't called "Louisiana Lightning" because he was from Buffalo and back then the Yanks would come to play a series of pre-season games in the Superdoem every year. Anyway, a lot of us kids were into baseball cards and even though it isn't really considered a valuable card, dudes in my neighborhood went absolutely bonkers over this card:

Carpetbagguers.

The Mets AAA team is in New Orleans now.

Bronx Is Burning is great, I think I might have missed a week though since I've only seen the first two. Mickey Rivers is hysterical. Cosine on the actors being dead ringers for the players too, Yogi being the best example.

Jimmy Breslin fanned so many flames in NYC, there's a ton of people who'd spit when they hear his name.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I've caught a few episodes, and I must say, despite my Red Sox affiliation, this is rather enjoyable. It's not exactly The Wire, but it's good for what it is.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I need the DVD box set.

This is my era. I was Reggie Jackson for Holloween in '78.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I need the DVD box set.

This is my era. I was Reggie Jackson for Holloween in '78.

Yeah, did anyone get too see Reggie's badass muscle car collection being auctioned off on ESPN? Dude must had every desirable Chevy and Pontiac available from 62-69.