back in Benin

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I've been back to Cotonou for a couple of days now and unearthed some amazing stuff so far. Sadly I can't post up pictures as I'm typing this on some old wreck of a computer in a dusty cyber cafe.Tons of obscure and spaced out Disco and Boogie records... maybe I'll put together an exclusive West African Disco and Boogie mix next...Tomorrow is the big national independence day to celebrate good riddance of the french colonial power. My friend Chakirou and I will drive up to Abhomey where there will be a big get together of Benin's different Voodoo societies. The event is being organised by a local Voodoo leader who recently gained fame, respect and notoriety when he and some of his followers ambushed a pastor who knowingly and for sheer sake of provocation had built a church on one of their sacred Voodoo sites. The pastor and several churchgoers ended up in the hospital and the church got burned down. I would normally never advocate any form of religiously motivated violence but I guess there are exceptions... Benin stands out as a country where efforts of islamisation and evangelisation have never really had much success. Voodoo is the official state religion. While elsewhere masks and other tribal artifacts merely serve as props for tourist spectacles and souvenir merchandise. In Benin, original African religion as opposed to the imported artificial religions of Islam and Christianity is still very much alive and well. I hope this won't change.Stay tuned for a new mix and photos.

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    OUCH ! !

Just 30 minutes after typing this, I got picked up by Poly Rythmo Bass player Gustave Bentho on his Vespa scooter. While on the way to his house, we had a minor trafic accident. Lucky enough, I've only left a bit of skin on the roads of Cotonou while Gustave also complained about minor chest pain. He went off to the hospital to get some X-Rays done while I took a cab back to the hotel where I showered the dirt off myself and doused my wounds with Iodine...
    After the crash, as I was lying in the road, another scooter bumped into my ass, I guess I'll end up with a bruised cheek. Lucky it wasn't a car or a truck...
    I hope Gustave is fine and the band still will be able to perform tonight as scheduled

• Mate,
    Your life's a movie!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

REAL WORLD MOVES TO THE FULLEST!!! Can't wait to hear that mix...have fun in Benin, Frank!!!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Hey Frank, be careful out there! Hope you heal up nicely.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx Jonny, I'll be fine. My right hand is a bit swollen but other than that, it's just superficial scrapes and a hurting ass. I just called Gustave and he has a broken rib. He still wants to play though tonight since he doesn't want to let down his bandmates.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

Seriously man.....be easy out there!

Remember you always got a guest spot waiting on Galactic Fractures!

Can't wait to hear the boogie mix! You run across that Chicks & Chicken record?

-pj

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Gustave and he has a broken rib. He still wants to play though tonight since he doesn't want to let down his bandmates.

Take care out there Frank. That mix sounds like it's gonna be great. I'm really looking foward to it.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    it's just superficial scrapes and a hurting ass.

So it's not any worse damage than from posting on soulstrut?

Seriously tho, sorry to hear bout that - rest up Frank!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanx Jonny, I'll be fine. My right hand is a bit swollen but other than that, it's just superficial scrapes and a hurting ass. I just called Gustave and he has a broken rib. He still wants to play though tonight since he doesn't want to let down his bandmates.

Werner Herzog ain't got shit on Frank!

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    I had a girl in Sikekodji...i dunno if she's still there. Tell me if you are around that "hood"...peace.