Your biggest record score and biggest meal you ate

MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
6Big Score was from a dude in trying to sell records at this store in North County San Diego, but the buyer wasnt there so I asked to take a look he gave me directions and he had 15-20 boxes of Latin, Soul and Jazz 69-79... I was only able to get half the boxes for 25 each... He told me to come back in a few weeks cause he wanted to go through them, then I call him in a few weeks and he had moved... I could only imagine what else was their at one time cause dude told me his daughters father in law owned them and her uncles picked through them about anothe 10 boxes I'm sure it was heat Latin and Soul, cause what they left was pretty darn good! Oh yeah dude who owned the wax was from NY Bronx or Brooklyn some PR dude very good taste in music...Biggest mealSummer Break 11th grade Big Mac Combo super sized, Quarter Pounder, Filet of fish, and 6 peice Nuggets and a reg hamburger while staying up to watch YO MTV RAPS, Ultra Mgnetic showed as with Slick Rick and K-9 Posse.... Never again will I have eaten that much I felt like I was going to die fo real couldn't sleep and really couldn't breath well and it was hot!

Comments

• This isn't a one time come up, but I used to hit up the Oceanside swap meet back in the early to mid 90's, and this bearded guy names Michael used to have a record stand all the way in the back corner of the swap. Cool guy and always teaching me about music. Over the course of a couple years, most of the records I appreciate the most are from that spot, the best being the Hot Chocolate album. I am feeling the typical regrets, "if I only knew then what I knew now" shit, but I don't care because I got some good records and good conversation there. Just this year I was talking to a friend and he told me that the Europeans cats knew about that spot and hit it up many times before me.

That largest meal is probably the millions of times I went out to eat with you, Mr Mangoman.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    MANGO YOU FIEND WTF, THAT SCORE SOUNDS INSANE

okay this is a cool funny thread and it's socal in the house

Biggest meal: Umm I think I've matched your scary McD's meal in size (probably a couple years ago while I was "depressed"), ask Norm Hopper next time you see him. I'm 10 lbs overweight and crying every day.

Biggest score: hmm, of late it was 5,000+ pieces of absolute crap. Don't know why I even bought it, seriously just jumped at the opportunity. Threw away some pocket change there, lol. If we're talking biggest score "ever" it was the remains of a record store, which is also mostly complete crap. My 3rd largest was a disco/dance collection about 4 years back, 5,000 pieces as well.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Biggest meal:

13 pieces of KFC original all thighs no wings straight, and 3 packs of "Mee Goreng" after that.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Biggest meal:

13 pieces of KFC original all thighs no wings straight, and 3 packs of "Mee Goreng" after that.

HAHA! DAMN!

We killed those 2 chickens and jumbo fries last week tho son!

peace.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    no doubt!

i'm saying...lets do it again.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Not a usual for these but why not.

My biggest score is modest, I usually buy whatever in small amounts - I don't really care what it may be as far as popularity goes.

Anyway, this chain used place must have got in somebody's collection or something, because mixed in the usual junk were hundreds of things, mostly Soul, Jazz, and Gospel. Anyway, I think it had just come in (who knows) ... nobody there really cared about records so 99% of them were the standard 4/$1.00.
    It was just me and this 40 year old guy with his girlfriend, and me and him went end to end on that wall. He started on one side, I started on the other, and we both came off with about a box and a half. Modest in big baller terms, but for me I think it was the best as far as quantity/price/item. Unfortunately a lot of them were in VG or VG+ quality, but still, not bad. I had sample fodder for months, and it was funny to watch me and the other guy peep each others' stuff as the cashier went thru it.

Next closest big score would be same store, a year later, someone dumped their entire 1980s hip hop collection, almost all in NM condition. There was shit everywhere, from Naughty by Nature's S/T album (yeah, 91, whatever) to every Run DMC release, all sorts of classic shit, all in pristine condition. Anyway, whoever was there when they got them in knew enough to price them at retail level, which sucked, but I picked out all the shit they didn't recognize, most for a quarter - that MLK sampled 12", some Jonzun Crew, whatever. Not bad considering the price and condition, and I also picked up a NM Grandmaster Flash LP for $10 (in trade). True, I coulda just bought the shit, but it goes against my grain.

I'm all about bargains and finding something new so those have always been my thing. You will never catch me dropping $4000 on a huge lot or anything.

Largest meal has to be when I was a little kid, I used to go get these Belgian Waffles... nothing exciting, but as a little kid they looked HUGE, with all that fruit piled on top. I remember the first time I killed a whole plate, I thought I was the man that day.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    biggest meal: From Jack in the Box, I had a Panido Sub, fries, 2 tacos, chicken sandwich, and a medium soda.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    biggest score: 8000 or so Mint 12" from an old record pool guy. collection began in '78 and ended in '94.

biggest eat: when i was 10 or 11 my best friend chris and i lived down the street from the neighborhood round table pizza. his sister worked there so we used to go up there all the time and get free food and play video games like gauntlet, rygar, or whatever else was poppin back then. anyway, that day laura (his sister) gave us each two medium pepperoni pizzas. we each finished our pizza in a competition during that one sitting. i dont think i could do that now in one sitting i might die...

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    In high school I used to eat 2 chicken fried steak plates complete with mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, and 2 chocolate milks, then have my buddy's extra half of a ham sandwich that his mom would overpack his lunch bag with, then a bag of candy...every day.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    Meal: An entire Krispy Kreme dozen. I'd say I was hungover but I didn't actually sleep. It was the morning of my last day of highschool.

Records: A thrift in the country. I'd estimate there were about 2000 records which the lady wanted me to get rid of for $100 (a nickel a record?) because she wanted to put her Christmas stuff out. In case anyone has a Camry that's about as many records you can fit in one, stacking to the ceiling and what not.

Highlights:
    Sweet Sweetbaack's OST
    Doris Duke - I'm a Loser
    David Porter - Victim of a Joke
    Capital City Star Singers - Jesus is on the Mainline. Anybody else have this. The nastiest, funkiest gospel record I've heard. There were about twenty more gospel: rance allen, soul stirrers, five blind boys, mighty clouds, one that's live from a women's prison.
    Basically the entire Al Green discography
    Leroy Hutson - S/t
    Syreeta - Stevie Wonder Presents...
    Persuaders - Thin Line
    A couple of Willie Bobo's
    Lots of Prestige: Gene Ammons, Sonny Stitt
    Hakeem Olajawan's rap record - The Dream
    Funkadelic - Cosmic Slop

There was also a lot of stuff I'd like to own for a nickel: Brother's Johnson, Brick, Slave, Lost Man OST, 3 or 4 Norman Connors, Herbie's Thrust, Bernard Wright, Sugarhill 12 inches.

Ohe yeah doubles: and a crate full of Vaughn First Family and Firestone Christmas albums.

Basically the score ruined me for life because I'll probably never hit something this good again, but it was definately the biggest record high I've ever had.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Capital City Star Singers - Jesus is on the Mainline. Anybody else have this. The nastiest, funkiest gospel record I've heard.

soundclip plaese.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    Capital City Star Singers - Jesus is on the Mainline. Anybody else have this. The nastiest, funkiest gospel record I've heard.

soundclip plaese.

Can't at the moment. I'm moving. I'll have to set the internet up at my new crib and find the record. I will do it sometime in the near future though.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    In college there was this amazing indian restaurant that had all you can eat buffet on weekends. Very serious and in a college town all you can eat for $8. I ate maybe 2 1/2 plates, about 1/2 a plate more than I should have.

You know in that FOX eating contest show when somebody was going to yark they just showed him getting greener and breathing heavy over a bag... then right before he yarked the camera panned away? I was about half a samosa away from that point.

I seriously had to put my head down on the table and think happy thoughts for 15 minutes before I could walk.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Both my biggest scores and meals was Mangoman's moma!

OH SNAP! NOT ONLY DID I GO THUUURR, BUT I'M STAYING THUR!

• Options
    Collection of vintage Blue Notes coupled with some extremely rare reggae (OG Ja Blackboard JUngle DUb, Light of Saba, Upsetters Eastwood Rides Again, SKa ba da ba OG on TOp Deck...)

and

56 breakfast sausages, some eggs, bacon and pancakes.

K.