Inland Empire thread!

bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone checked this out yet? It comes out on DVD the second week of August...How does it rank with the other classic David Lynch joints?

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    august 11th
    can't fucking wait
    the dvd is supposed to be a totally different cut than cinema release
    with tons of extra footage/scenes and extras
    i haven't been this excited about a dvd release since dogtown and z boys
    i hope it doesn't disappoint me like mulholland drive did[which wasn't bad ,just kinda boring at best/spook factor low]

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    august 11th
    i hope it doesn't disappoint me like mulholland drive did[which wasn't bad ,just kinda boring at best/spook factor low]
    Yeah, I agree, but you gotta admit MD had some classic scenes though...Particularly the girl on girl action scence and the one where ol' boy is in the dinner trying to act out his dream!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    august 11th
    Yeah, I agree, but you gotta admit MD had some classic scenes though...Particularly the girl on girl action scence and the one where ol' boy is in the dinner trying to act out his dream!

yeah ,i guess the lesbian stuff was cool but i don't watch lynch for a dick rise
    i want to be creeped out or led into some dark corner that i couldn't summon with my own imagination
    the only semi creepy thing was the cowboy guy but after eraserhead,lost highway,blue velvet etc i was kinda underwhelmed

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    I feel ya'...Twin Peaks is my sh!# though!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I've had this thing in my netflix queue for weeks. I broke in the middle of season three of the Wire to get this one when it drops. It better not disappoint! I watch that preview at least once a day.

• august 11th

yeah ,i guess the lesbian stuff was cool but i don't watch lynch for a dick rise
    i want to be creeped out or led into some dark corner that i couldn't summon with my own imagination
    the only semi creepy thing was the cowboy guy but after eraserhead,lost highway,blue velvet etc i was kinda underwhelmed

Mulholland Drive is my favorite Lynch movie by far. I guess everybody has there own Lynch opinions.

Twin Peaks Complete Series slated for October!

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    I've enjoyed watching this movie. I'd recommend it. The scene with the big 78 needle is really awesome. The fast scene cutting works well with holding my attention. Anyone else?

• Off the chain, I didn't lose interest once...I'm going to probably watch it again 2night!

• Here's what I posted on another board.

I am happy there is somebody like Lynch out there doing what he is doing. At the end of the day, it's good that there are movies like his out there.

I listened to his NPR interview where he talks about transcendental meditation. This informs the Lynch style of directing, where he shoots pieces and weaves them together in a pastiche informed by his unconscious.

But, this isn't doing it for me right now. It all feels meaningless and contrived, and becomes kind of a Rorschach test for viewers. Reviewers have no option but to wax poetic about Lynch's "texture" and "feeling." Maybe it is more art, but being non-narrative doesn't make you immune from criticism.

I haven't really felt any of the last 3 Lynch films (inland empire, mulholland drive, lost highway). I don't find Hollywood quite as fascinating as he does, and the characters he creates are becoming tired. The "seer" character at the beginning of each movie is too much for instance (like Robert blake in lost highway). The imposing of a narrative, in this case the Polish girl waiting to be rescued, doesn't fit and feels wrong.

Jeremy Irons and Laura Dern were by far the best part of this movie. Harry dean stanton unfortunately sucked, but he had a bit part.

FURTHERMORE. David Lynch shouldn't be allowed to make movies with a digi cam. The sound was completely inaudible in maybe 1/4 of the sequences, and most of it looked like garbage. Seriously. Please don't record using the in-digi-cam mic. Like when the mom from twin peaks was talking, kind of a pivotal scene, I couldn't hear half of what she said.