CALL ALL MARLEY MARL EXPERTS HARDCORE NERDS

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I read a interview with Marley Marl, and in that interview came to things up which I need your help.First he is mentioning his brother as a influence, the name of his brother is what caught my interest, its LARRY LARR (thats the way it was written in the mag)So I asked myself:1.This is another Larry Larr, or is this the same as the "Da Wizzard of Odds" Larry Larr from 3 X Dope ???2.Is the way they wrote the name correct ??3.If yes, what does LARR mean ??? Or is it a common add on for Larrys ???4.Marley is mentioning the crew of his brother called Hi-Fidelity. Does anyone know anything about that crew ??5.The crew consisted out of Larry Larr, T-Tone, Jappy Jap and Gas and Marley is qouted that he mentioned those dudes on "the bridge records".Is he talking about "The Bridge" from Shan ????6.In that same interview he mentioned his first record ever called "The Rebels - Under the Wear"I checked that and found this:http://www.discogs.com/release/409113http://www.discogs.com/image/R-409113-1149176985.jpegCan someone confirm this ?? Is thgis the correct record ?? I mean "A Marlon Mix" is a pretty strong evidence, but can someone confirm it ???Thanks and peaceHawkeye

Comments

• I read a interview with Marley Marl, and in that interview came to things up which I need your help.

First he is mentioning his brother as a influence, the name of his brother is what caught my interest, its LARRY LARR (thats the way it was written in the mag)

So I asked myself:

This is another Larry Larr, or is this the same as the "Da Wizzard of Odds" Larry Larr from 3 X Dope ???

Is the way they wrote the name correct ??

If yes, what does LARR mean ??? Or is it a common add on for Larrys ???

Marley is mentioning the crew of his brother called Hi-Fidelity. Does anyone know anything about that crew ??

The crew consisted out of Larry Larr, T-Tone, Jappy Jap and Gas and Marley is qouted that he mentioned those dudes on "the bridge records".

Is he talking about "The Bridge" from Shan ????

In that same interview he mentioned his first record ever called "The Rebels - Under the Wear"

I checked that and found this:

http://www.discogs.com/release/409113

http://www.discogs.com/image/R-409113-1149176985.jpeg

Can someone confirm this ?? Is thgis the correct record ?? I mean "A Marlon Mix" is a pretty strong evidence, but can someone confirm it ???

Thanks and peace
    Hawkeye

Hey Hawkeye what`s up!
    1.different than the philly cat....it was mentioned in deep crates

2.different spelling...i`ll check on that

3.yes, abbreviation for the name larry

4.yes, hi-fidelity was his brothers qb soundcrew

5.yes, mentioned in the bridge, but it`s t-tom...no?

6.hmmm...ask marley. in deep crates 2 he said the first mix he did was for aleems release yourself, but even the just4 record came out before. probably this one or just4 was the first but it slipped his mind

Hawkeye give me a shout if you need more info

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    I read a interview with Marley Marl, and in that interview came to things up which I need your help.

First he is mentioning his brother as a influence, the name of his brother is what caught my interest, its LARRY LARR (thats the way it was written in the mag)

So I asked myself:

This is another Larry Larr, or is this the same as the "Da Wizzard of Odds" Larry Larr from 3 X Dope ???

Is the way they wrote the name correct ??

If yes, what does LARR mean ??? Or is it a common add on for Larrys ???

Marley is mentioning the crew of his brother called Hi-Fidelity. Does anyone know anything about that crew ??

The crew consisted out of Larry Larr, T-Tone, Jappy Jap and Gas and Marley is qouted that he mentioned those dudes on "the bridge records".

Is he talking about "The Bridge" from Shan ????

In that same interview he mentioned his first record ever called "The Rebels - Under the Wear"

I checked that and found this:

http://www.discogs.com/release/409113

http://www.discogs.com/image/R-409113-1149176985.jpeg

Can someone confirm this ?? Is thgis the correct record ?? I mean "A Marlon Mix" is a pretty strong evidence, but can someone confirm it ???

Thanks and peace
    Hawkeye

Three X Dope was from Philly I think...The Larry Larr he's talking about was a Queensbridge hip hop pioneer...Yeah, Larry Larr kinda like, Kevie Kev, Dana Dane, Melle Mel, etc. I'm not sure if the early Queensbridge cats had any noteworthy records...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Three X Dope was from Philly I think...

This Larry Larr isnt the one Marley is talkin about.

What about the Larry that Grandmaster Flash did a classic about?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    larry put me inside his Cadillac
    the chauffer drove off and we never came back
    dave cut the record down to the bone
    and now they got me rockin on the microphone

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

That's Larry Smith they're talking about there, another hip-hop producer/pioneer.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

What about the Larry that Grandmaster Flash did a classic about?

Larry Love... he was a dancer.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

From 1982, there's also this: http://www.discogs.com/release/247142

• Options

That's Larry Smith they're talking about there, another hip-hop producer/pioneer.

Wow, I always thought he said "jay cut the record down to the bone". Oops. Who's Dave?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

Wow, I always thought he said "jay cut the record down to the bone". Oops. Who's Dave?

davy dmx - at least i always assumed because davy scratched that line in "one for the treble."

yeah, larry smith. that makes sense now....

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts

2.different spelling...i`ll check on that

Yeah, I found the following versions.

Larry Laughter

and

Larry Lah

Is the 12" version diffrent from the LP version of the bridge. Is the 12" version a re-spitted version ??

Coud that be the reason for the 2 spellings ??

5.yes, mentioned in the bridge, but it`s t-tom...no?

From "The Bridge"

Otherwise known as Mean Teen Tom
    A brother whose known for his rap
    Jabby Jack, Larry Laughter and least not last
    A cool brother by the name of Gas

Another Version

From "The Bridge"

Otherwise known as Mean Teen Tom
    A brother who's known for his rap
    Jabby Jack, Larry Lah, third least not last
    A cool brother by the name of Gas

Are both versions correct ???