Best Version of It's All Over Now, Baby Blue?

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I'm pretty partial to the Chocolate Watchband version, but it's just one of those standards that every psych band seemed to cover at the time. What you got?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Dude, the Watchband version is just a rip-off
    of the THEM version, with a whole verse dropped.

In other words, WEAK SAUCE.

Actually, I don't hate the CW version, it's
    just, might as well listen to THEM.

I say - THEM, Belfast Gypsies, Dylan OG ...

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

In other words, WEAK SAUCE.

Actually, I don't hate the CW version, it's
    just, might as well listen to THEM.

I say - THEM, Belfast Gypsies, Dylan OG ...

agreed on Them's as #1, but i know i heard a suprisingly cool version not long ago... maybe a female vocal, or at least a higher voice? i recall thinking it was neat. maybe im nutz.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

This is going to sound like sacriledge to a lot of folks, but I prefer the vocal on the CW version. Van Morrison's voice bothers me a bit, although I don't know why. Bring on the hate, folls!

• 13th Floor dogs.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Grateful Dead at Red Rocks in 1983. Or maybe it was the Alpine Valley show in 87. Then again they played it in Hampton that one year. They also played it in Cleveland, at Shoreline and at the Fox. Never mind...

Actually my favorite version is the one Dylan plays for Donovan in "Don't Look Back." Classic.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Actually my favorite version is the one Dylan plays for Donovan in "Don't Look Back." Classic.

word! Thats were I first fell in love with the song...I actually had a cassette dubbed from the VHS for years in the ride

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

agreed on Them's as #1

that anger in van morrison's voice...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I do not think any of the "rocked up" version do justice to this song.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The Country Gentlemen

You don't really see the THEM version as "rocked up" do you?

I forgot about the Elevators' version - I was kind of
    disappointed when I first heard it ... it pales next
    to their own original material, IMO.

Surprisingly, the Byrds version of this song is awful.

The live Dylan version on the "Bootleg Series, Volume 4" is excellent.

• I forgot about the Elevators' version - I was kind of
    disappointed when I first heard it ... it pales next
    to their own original material, IMO.

Really? The guitar is mesmerizing.

I'm well unfamiliar with most of these other versions.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

You don't really see the THEM version as "rocked up" do you?

Compared to the original. I guess "full band" version would be more appropriate.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Grateful Dead at Red Rocks in 1983. Or maybe it was the Alpine Valley show in 87. Then again they played it in Hampton that one year. They also played it in Cleveland, at Shoreline and at the Fox. Never mind...

I saw them at American U in 1970 in DC. They did it between Uncle John's Band and Dark Star. It was trancendent. Jerry hit this riff and Phil just looked over at him, like wow dude! I think the stage might have risen like six inches off the ground!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I saw them at American U in 1970 in DC. They did it between Uncle John's Band and Dark Star. It was trancendent. Jerry hit this riff and Phil just looked over at him, like wow dude! I think the stage might have risen like six inches off the ground!

Don't think so. They didn't play Dark Star that show, nor did they play babyblue either. Where were you?

Don't think so. They didn't play Dark Star that show, nor did they play babyblue either. Where were you?

^^^^ DEADHEAD GETS HIS CARD PULLED!! ^^^^

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Pulled out my dusty deadbase Jr., from my bootleg days.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Gal Costa did a great version, but she sings it in Portuguese.

Peace

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

When you get old your memory starts to fail you.

• Gal Costa did a great version, but she sings it in Portuguese.

Peace

Legal!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Pulled out my dusty deadbase Jr., from my bootleg days.

I hate the Dead.

I think Dead heads who suggest that the Dead did the best version of any song are...

I think Dead heads who know when and where the Dead this song or that are...

I did see the Dead do a free show at American U about 1970.

They did do Uncle Johns Band.

It was the worse acid trip I ever I took.

They started many hours late.

They played Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers through the PA before the show started.

A girl was dancing naked on stage.

Jerry Garcia balanced cigarettes on her nipples.

They also played Beethoven and maybe Sgt Peppers through the PA.

Saw them again at Autzen Stadium about 1991.

Had backstage passes.

There are many hundreds of people "backstage" at a dead concert.

My favorite memory was a family of hippies momma, poppa, little Sunflower, and little Cedarcoast and their dog, all sitting under the condiment counter at the Stadium hot dog stand.

I girl was dancing naked on stage.