Tribute to Fletcher Henderson (AACM Related)

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I had an opportunity last night to catch the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians pay tribute to Fletcher Henderson at the Frank Gehry bandshell in Chicago. I'm not really familiar with Henderson, but he was advertised as the "Real King of Swing." Well, as you might expect, the AACM "swung" but not that way -- in one piece, called "Fletcher's Fire" two guys dueled on digereeadoos (sp), spitting out some incredible bass, before about everyone in the entire ensemble (about 15 people) soloed -- skat singers, a poet, a drummer who leaned heavily on the cowbell, two percussionists, and a pretty large horn section. Then, they moved into some very nice, bluesy jazz. I caught about an hour of the show, and I think I heard three pieces. Franz Jackson, who is like 96, even walked out with a cane and played for a while. I couldn't help but thinking that it might be the best/last show for him. I don't get to hear live jazz nearly as much as I'd like, but the bandshell at Millennium Park has got to be one of the top spots, indoors or outdoors. If you are ever in Chicago, try to check out some sort of free show there -- the sound really is unbelievable.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Fletcher Henderson was the MAN.

Every success Benny Goodman had was owed to Henderson.

Don't get me wrong - I can get down top Benny's recordings
    (Live at Carnegie Hall is the swing music GOAT) but Fletcher
    Henderson was the master and the creator. I highly recommend
    people pick up a cheap LP collection of his work.