Why be an asshole?

ChappuhChappuh 53 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I'm looking around and I'm realizing that the reason I don't post as often as I'd like to here is that stating an opinion always has the possibility of getting a smartass, holier than thou response. Why do people do this?I understand that when you have information that someone else does not, it feels empowering to be able to fill in the blanks but why are people so quick to assume someone else is wrong in favor of their own presumption?This doesn't just have to do with this board or any other for that matter.Are we so consumed by our passions, our wrangling to get to the top of the totum pole (whatever that is, if it exists) that we're willing to step all over a stranger's feelings for a feeling of validity?For me, regarding the dj/producer scene in particular, the heart of this has to do with intense competition. The more confident you feel about your knowledge/business compared to others, the better equipped you may feel to tackle the competition.Is this just insecurity masked, once again, as bravado? Shouldn't we understand that the competition is a fact and that we're not all going to be going down in the history books for our respective work? Shouldn't we just get over ourselves and concentrate on making things better in general so true talent can come through and flourish? You know, "standing on the shoulders of giants" and all that.I understand some of your problems with people asking for mp3 clips and whatnot but geez does it really hurt you to see someone post asking for something so insignificant? Is it really so much fun being an asshole that you're willing to encroach on someone else's exploration/learning?Just some thoughts.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I understand some of your problems with people asking for mp3 clips and whatnot but geez does it really hurt you to see someone post asking for something so insignificant? Is it really so much fun being an asshole that you're willing to encroach on someone else's exploration/learning?

What gives you a right to free mp3 clips?

As for the other part, I'm admittedly a smartass. I mean no harm

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    In short, yes!

When I first starting come around here, sometime before my listed "join" date, I figured it was just "hazing," but I would say the there's more negativitiy than positivity as a whole -- but it's a close race.

Still, it's not a "clicky" here as it could be and there are a lot of nice folks, and the amount of ::knowledgedropped:: is unsurpassed.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    You're more of a "glass half full" sorta guy, huh?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    This thread is going to be legendary...:55 pager!:

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

ditto.

PS chappuh plaese to post some MP3s. thanks in advance.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Asking for MP3's!!! I'm a smart ass also.
    Go to LIMEWIRE!!!!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Still, it's not a "clicky" here as it could be

it's spelled cliquey...asshole.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Good thing dude isn't from Texas.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

ditto.

thritto.

muthafuckas need to use the search function. or at least browse around the forum before posting up that "exclusive" fuckin youtube video or death announcement.

Asking for MP3's!!! I'm a smart ass also.
    Go to LIMEWIRE!!!!

or post in the appropriate GIGANTIC MP3 REQUEST THREAD!!!!

Hes from Fayettenam!

ditto.

thritto.

muthafuckas need to use the search function. or at least browse around the forum before posting up that "exclusive" fuckin youtube video or death announcement.

DUDE! have you seen the Filipino prison Thriller routine!?!? b/w WINEHOUSE..BONUS BEAT: DJ AM....

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    but geez

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Good thing you're not from Texas either, Rock.

And Chappuh, could you please refrain from using such foul language in the future? It offends this community's delicate sensibilities.

PS jlee is an asshole/also not from Texas.

• Dear Chutzpah,

Sincerely,
    MikeSeaversNIKES

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

HAHA...bring it on!!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Just some thoughts.

the vest sweater wearer, action figurine package tearer, the novelty tie rocker, self inflicted cock blocker, the mayonaise spreader, the watch french flick double header, the wannabe big thinker, soy milk drinker, the sandal on the foot guy, the 'gee they seem scary' dont even look guy, the shook guy, the 'will people think im smart' if I say I read this book guy, the police teller, the hair geller, the inaccurately described record seller, the scented candle smeller, the fruit of the loom appologist, the amateur psyhcologist, the self apointed this is why they flopped dead career pathologist, the im trying real hard but im as cool as an ologist, the side parting comber, the small boner, the frequent mom phoner, the friday night home aloner, the girl not haver, the sock stabber, the recycled paper bagger, the mr send cheap cheese and wine hamper.
    [/b]

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    **gag**

Please be serious, dude.

Instead of just popping up out of the blue on an established forum--having contributed nothing--tawmbout "I don't like the way you express yourselves," why not just find a forum that does match your temperament?

why not just find a forum that does match your temperament?

wait do you mean....

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I'm looking around and I'm realizing that the reason I don't post as often as I'd like to here[/b] is that stating an opinion always has the possibility of getting a smartass, holier than thou response.

This doesn't just have to do with this board or any other for that matter.

I'm looking around and I'm realizing that the reason I don't post as often as I'd like to here[/b] is that stating an opinion always has the possibility of getting a smartass, holier than thou response.

you mixed up your HTML with your UBB

never mind

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Just some thoughts.

the vest sweater wearer, action figurine package tearer, the novelty tie rocker, self inflicted cock blocker, the mayonaise spreader, the watch french flick double header, the wannabe big thinker, soy milk drinker, the sandal on the foot guy, the 'gee they seem scary' dont even look guy, the shook guy, the 'will people think im smart' if I say I read this book guy, the police teller, the hair geller, the inaccurately described record seller, the scented candle smeller, the fruit of the loom appologist, the amateur psyhcologist, the self apointed this is why they flopped dead career pathologist, the im trying real hard but im as cool as an ologist, the side parting comber, the small boner, the frequent mom phoner, the friday night home aloner, the girl not haver, the sock stabber, the recycled paper bagger, the mr send cheap cheese and wine hamper.
    [/b]

wtf is that from?

Just some thoughts.

[/b]

wtf is that from?

i think its a poem about soulstrut's top poasters.

That's from the Smoothe The Hustler thread.

1. Some dude comes here with preconceived notion/self fulfilling prophesy that everyone here's a "record snob/elitist" (which is hilarious)
    2. Asks a silly question
    3. Get lightly cracked on BUT ALSO GETS THE ANSWER
    4. Dude gets pissed, calls everybody elitist assholes & leaves
    5. Go back to step 1, repeat ad nauseum

IMG SRC=http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/5397/quoelitecs2.gif>

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Who is the "fruit of the loom appologist"?

Young Phonics.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Young Phonics.

How did you come to be in a position to hassle the boy regarding his undergarments, such that he felt the need to justify his choice?