Nicole Willis Story On NPR

motorcityfunkmotorcityfunk 128 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Driving home yesterday I tensed up as I heard NPR lead up to a story about "retro soul" and mention John Legend and expected the worst.What I thought was going to be a story about Amy Winehouse or Joss Stone turned out to be a decent piece about Nicole Willis and The Soul Investigators with brief mentions of Sharon Jones and Poets Of Rhythm. Shit made my day. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12234111 Thanks Oliver.MCF

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I heard it too. Nice review.

Not to thread jack but the story that followed on sex crimes on Native American lands was really moving and well done.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    diggin' it. nice work oliver.

• Yeah, great story. werent you on sound of young america also? (cant stand that show, but they have some pretty good guests).

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I heard it too. Nice review.

Not to thread jack but the story that followed on sex crimes on Native American lands was really moving and well done.

And preceded by an interesting story about how the ban on kangaroo meat might impact the sale of high-end soccer shoes in California...

...anyways, thanks for the kind words. I've been trying to get this album reviewed at NPR for ages and luckily, I was able to use the fact that it's getting American distro now as the "justification" for talking about it.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    who's putting it out here?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Light in the Attic is doing American distro.

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    It does mention Amy- I'm sure that helps give it context by referring to something considered a little more mainstream by the NPR folks.

Good work, man!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    "...white people like John Legend because he makes Anthony Hamilton seem like Baby Huey..."