Stupid DJ Requests - a new low?

TheeeCasualMaleTheeeCasualMale 2,564 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Just got home from this new '80s night gig I started doing. I got stupid request upon stupid request (a guy who had already requsted at least three songs standing next to me while I ignored him for at least one full song just so he could ask me to play Paula fucking Abdul), but I think a new standard for low was reached tonight.me: djingdrunk blond maybe kind of cute girl: what are you playing next?me: uhhhh looks like janet jacksongirl: (makes screw face) ughhhh. we got a birthday boy and you gotta play something for him. he's 25!me: every 25 year old man should like janet jackson.girl: no way. what else are you gonna play?me: i don't know.girl: you have to play b.i.g. i'm not a player i just fuck alot.me: ha. i don't have that with me and it doesn't really fit with the '80s night thing.girl, now fully un-cute by her annoyance level: what about shai IFFF IIII EVERRRRR FALL IN LOOOOVEme: ahhhh, i don't have that.5 minutes latergirl: you have to play al green let's stay together.me: ehhhh maaaaaaaybe for like the last song. i don't know.girl: it's for the birthday boy. look at him. see that guy it's his birthday. he's 25.me: ok great. what do i get out of it?girl: i'm not gonna give you a blowjob.me: uhhhh ok.girl: you have to play it. i still have my v-card. losing it depends on you playing that song.wow.so yeah, that dude grinded with her to let's stay together and then left the club with a different girl.

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    nice...I'm picturing her as the shellfish sandwich chick from the 40 Year Old Virgin.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    sometimes, this is why I quit playing out.

"I have this song on my ipod..."

"you have to play this! ITS MY BIRTHDAY!!"

My boy played an 80's night about over a year ago and this drunk guy came up to him and asked him to play 80's for the rest of the night for like a $100 0r $80, and he said "OK!!!!!"

whadda dumbass.

I have so many stories, like many of you, about douchebag requests. I have a low tolerance for requests, I guess.

Trust us. Please.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

so yeah, that dude grinded with her to let's stay together and then left the club with a different girl.

• covecove 1,566 Posts

me: every 25 year old man should like janet jackson.

word. 1814(on cassette) was my thing.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I'm kinda over playing Michael Jackson altogether at this point....but I remember playing PYT once and a kid came up to me and asked "Dude can you play something I can dance to?" That was fun.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I'm kinda over playing Michael Jackson altogether at this point....

I made this one dude cry (seriously) because I REFUSED to play MJ. It was the most ridiculous thing I have ever dealt with.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

I made this one dude cry (seriously) because I REFUSED to play MJ. It was the most ridiculous thing I have ever dealt with.

so I'm not crazy???? I mean there are few songs in life that I simply never need to hear again - no matter how good they are. Billie Jean....enough. Kiss.....over it.....although I could listen to the drums alone for days. And I was never that much of a fan to begin with, nor have I ever played it....but Sweet Home Alabama........oh and Don't Stop Believing, even though it's rad. Those can all be laid to rest.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

so I'm not crazy???? I mean there are few songs in life that I simply never need to hear again - no matter how good they are. Billie Jean....enough. Kiss.....over it.....although I could listen to the drums alone for days. And I was never that much of a fan to begin with, nor have I ever played it....but Sweet Home Alabama........oh and Don't Stop Believing, even though it's rad. Those can all be laid to rest.

no you're not. My theory is that people need to be fed comfortable music they know. Challenge them with something else... no good. Birthday? It's over, you are their bitch.

Sometimes I throw things at them. And then I pretend I'm busy looking for the next record.

This is why I love house parties.

• My boy played an 80's night about over a year ago and this drunk guy came up to him and asked him to play 80's for the rest of the night for like a $100 0r $80, and he said "OK!!!!!"

Ha!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Anybody who requests Shai is ok in my book.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    thats annoying

i wonder, does ross' no requests shirt work? i think you should design some. seriously

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Anybody who requests Shai is ok in my book.

seriously.
    Shai request players are on par w/ grippers who maintain OG copies of the entire Enya catalogue.

• Anybody who requests Shai is ok in my book.

TRUE... and i would have played it if i had it (read: i'll 100% have it for next week), but then she wouldn't have confessed to me her desperate attempt to lose her virginity to a random birthday boy and we wouldn't be reading this thread right now.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I've developed the Ice Grill from hell that has been working to deter requests. It's not 100%, but definitely get yourself one.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

girl: you have to play b.i.g. i'm not a player i just fuck alot.

clearly a huge b.i.g. fan.

thats annoying

i wonder, does ross' no requests shirt work? i think you should design some. seriously

my man in milwaukee gave me a no requests shirt. i keep forgetting to put it on when i play downtown! i doubt it works though....

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

my man in milwaukee gave me a no requests shirt. i keep forgetting to put it on when i play downtown! i doubt it works though....

"Hey nice shirt! I bet you get a lot of dumb people asking for shity music. Can you play that new 3 doors down?"

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

girl, now fully un-cute by her annoyance level: what about shai IFFF IIII EVERRRRR FALL IN LOOOOVE

there's nothing like an acapella ballad to get the crowd moving. if u really wanna tear the roof off the club, follow up shai with boyz II men's "its so hard to say goodbye to yesterday".

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I've developed the Ice Grill from hell that has been working to deter requests. It's not 100%, but definitely get yourself one.

Ha... mine's been getting pretty intimidating lately. I'm one step away from just throwing punches.

• I remember playing PYT once and a kid came up to me and asked "Dude can you play something I can dance to?" That was fun.

Haha. I guess the kid can't really dance then. Did the kid ask for some midtempo shit?

• girl: it's for the birthday boy. look at him. see that guy it's his birthday. he's 25.
    me: ok great. what do i get out of it?

For this common scenario, I like that reply.

• I will never grow tired of these threads.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    so i was playing downtown (you know the place mike) and some dickhea - i mean patron keeps bugging me to play sexy back! what the eff? finally he comes up, "yo holmes, this girl is gonna suck me off if you play sexy back!" so i asked him what that is supposed to do for me? he pauses with a puzzled look and figured it out and he offers her serves for me! of course he wasn't serious and played sexy back anyway. gotta love that meathead crowd!