How do you get crust off records?

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I just nabbed an nice 45, sans the little ball of crust somehow embedded into grooves. I know crust balls aren't pressed into records at the plant, so why does no amount of picking or scrubbing knock these things loose?

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

i bet you can find about four or five threads on cleaning records from the past couple months.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Tell it you have Beatles records.

HAHAHAHAHAH!

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

i bet you can find about four or five threads on cleaning records 409 vs. VPI from the past couple months.

You're right, but 409 doesn't is useless in this case and I don't own a VPI machine. Is their no other recourse???

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    if you've got one of those old califone type record players with a heavy needle anywhere near, try playing it over the infected area on 78 speed. that can get the spot to pop off sometimes.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    if you've got one of those old califone type record players with a heavy needle anywhere near, try playing it over the infected area on 78 speed. that can get the spot to pop off sometimes.

really think this is a good idea? this might ruin it further.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    This stuff - Buggtussel Vinyl Zyme Gold
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Buggtussel-Vinyl-Zyme-Gold-Regualr-8-oz-?sc=2&category=1178
    Works really well at eating anything nasty (beer, mold, paper, cheap glue)

Recommended.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

in works, doesnt ruin the record further noticibly doing it one or two times. Records are a lot more durable and resilient to stress than folks think. Also on the old Califone, if you put the speed control inbetween 2 speeds, it frees up the platter so you can spin it back wards. Playing a record backwards, from the inside out will also lift a lot of shit out of the grooves of a dirty record. A lot of dirt gets pressed down by the needle going over it in one direction every time, kinda like the way grass lies in a certain way on your lawn, so if you run that needle the oppisite way, it will lift a lot of shit that usually just gets pressed further into the record with every play in the normal direction. Try it, even with "clean" records, play them bitches backwards all the way through, you will see a shit ton of dust and dirt on the surface of the record thats been lifted up by the needle hitting it in a different direction...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

in works, doesnt ruin the record further noticibly doing it one or two times. Records are a lot more durable and resilient to stress than folks think. Also on the old Califone, if you put the speed control inbetween 2 speeds, it frees up the platter so you can spin it back wards. Playing a record backwards, from the inside out will also lift a lot of shit out of the grooves of a dirty record. A lot of dirt gets pressed down by the needle going over it in one direction every time, kinda like the way grass lies in a certain way on your lawn, so if you run that needle the oppisite way, it will lift a lot of shit that usually just gets pressed further into the record with every play in the normal direction. Try it, even with "clean" records, play them bitches backwards all the way through, you will see a shit ton of dust and dirt on the surface of the record thats been lifted up by the needle hitting it in a different direction...

maybe i should try this out, then. i guess i was just concerned because sometimes when i play records on an old portable the played grooves become a different shade than the other ones, couldnt tell if this was bad or good...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

maybe i should try this out, then. i guess i was just concerned because sometimes when i play records on an old portable the played grooves become a different shade than the other ones, couldnt tell if this was bad or good...

cause the dull ass needle is digging out dirt...the color change you see is dirt...nice/sharp needle, slices through dirt...old, dull needle, digs up dirt...