rep you favorite local/regional authors

KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Barbara Kingsolver[/b] She is older than this now but this is the best picture I found. Her books are fantastic! I've so far only read this: Which I think is a great introduction to her b/c it's essays and mostly autobiographical so you get a feel for her as a person as well as how good she is as a writter. Her comand of the english language is rediculous. She really makes you think as well as being very entertaining. I'm currently reading this: GREAT BOOK! Edward Abbey[/b] This guy is quite simply the best writter to deal with the American West and the problems facing it.These are my Favorites:

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Well I wish i could even list one local author.

I did however date this super fly bitch with a fat ass and curly hair from the Upper Peninsula of MI whos father was a writer. He wrote about bears and shit. I never read any of it.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

You can buy them at my sadly imcomplete bookshop.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Larry Brown
    William Faulkner

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Dude! I can claim the Mingus too, he was born in Nogales (my hometown) on April 22nd, which happens to be my B-day too.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Dude! I can claim the Mingus too, he was born in Nogales (my hometown) on April 22nd, which happens to be my B-day too.

Dang son, that's tight. I stand corrected. He did grow up in Watts, though. I have the birthday of a great jazz player as well. It's on the fall equinox. Any guesses?

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    Sir arthur conan Doyle & Dickens both from my neck of the woods.

Reading this: http://www.grahamhurley.co.uk/books/angels.htm at the moment. I've never read a crime novel before but it's set in the housing estate where I had the misfortune of spending 8 years of my childhood.

Also Joe Jackson is from my town & has written a couple of books. Reading his bio was cool as he was talking about the music scene in all the places I know but like 30 years ago...
    http://www.joejackson.com/books.htm

Apparently Joe was real drunk & singing at an open mic night at my local pub the other day, wish I'd been there....

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    not that they are my favorite, but you cant go anywhere in CHarlottesville without hearing bout these 2 authors:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Timothy Findlay - I'm not a fan of his later books. But these blew my mind - especially the first two.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

Co Sign on "Not Wanted On The Voyage". Great book.

Gotta rep my city, too:

Duddy Kravitz is the shit.

h

• Tom Perrotta (who doesn't live in NJ anymore, but all of his books are set here), who wrote 'Election'

And WC Stroby, an old friend of mine who just published his second novel (crime fiction)

And my wife loves Janet Evanovich...

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I'm not up on my Chicago authors like I need to be, but this dude had a major impact on my early years...

• 313313 21 Posts
    Detroit :
    Donald Goines

Elmore Leonard

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i actually stayed on the kingsolver farm in watkinsville, GA two years ago. isn't edward abbey from pennsylvania? ...not to be a know-it-all.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Kingsolver is from KY but has lived in Tucson AZ for the last 20 years or so. I belive she also has property in Appalachia somewhere (North Georgia then?) Abbey is from Pennsylvania but lived in Arizona and Utah for most of his life and died in Tucson. So I guess it depends on whether or not "local" means born, raised and died or just lived most of your life in the place.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Kingsolver is from KY but has lived in Tucson AZ for the last 20 years or so. I belive she also has property in Appalachia somewhere (North Georgia then?) Abbey is from Pennsylvania but lived in Arizona and Utah for most of his life and died in Tucson. So I guess it depends on whether or not "local" means born, raised and died or just lived most of your life in the place.
    sonned and schooled!