Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    What a nightmare

I don't even have the patience to look through a collection like that anymore

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    that shit is bananas.. b a n a n a s

happy bidding...

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    What a nightmare

that shit would take months...

• Options
    What a nightmare

I woudln't leave until I was finished. Love that shit.

K.

• What a nightmare

K.

Hell yeah! I'd be up like three days in a row going through boxes.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    What a nightmare

K.

there's that weakened feeling you get when you realize you haven't eaten anything all day & your back is killing you, but you can't help yourself, you just gotta keep plowing ahead...

a knowledgeable 45 hunter could decrease the value of that stack by 1/2 in 6hrs I'd think, so I'd take the guy at his word that not much ultra-valuable is left.

---

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    I think everyone needs a whole wall of country 45s.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeah, I'm guessing this is more fools gold than gold, and a couple thousand patty dukes to boot.

All that for a sprinkling of soul. Fun to dig. NO FUN to move or own.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    A lot of it looks like junk. There has to be at least a few hundred that are very nice.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    "And who among us knew that Martian Hop came with a picture sleeve?"

Not me, certainly.....

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    according to Strictley Kev, the guy selling these is one of Steinski's friends, so one can only imagine how picked over those boxes must be!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    There are soooooo many crap records out their this doesn't impress me in the least. That's guys good pile is a joke. I don't care if they are worth something to someone, you can bet your not finding much in thier but endless Frank Sinatra and Andrew Sisters. All that counrty can go right in the trash.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    wow...

Does anyone want to start a SoulStrut money pool? We can all chip in and if we win, randomly distribute the boxes based on the percentage of the amount of money we put in. (though I doubt this would work)

Who's in?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "And who among us knew that Martian Hop came with a picture sleeve?"

Not me, certainly.....

I had that, can't remember what I did with it.

traded it to an oldies dealer for some break beats probably.

Dan

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    not me

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    That would be "motherlode."

I'll show myself the door now.

• That would be "motherlode."

I'll show myself the door now.

Dick. haha

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This is in my neck of the woods and I've heard about this collection, there ain't nothin for ya but 50s rock shiz and sinatra for days, although there MIGHT be a random gem sprinkled in of a genre he is unfamiliar with like reggae or latin jazz. Pass.........................

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Peep the dope King Records sleeve peeking out in the middle.

Not for the thousands that it's up to would I take it, but I'm sure there's some serious shit in there. The clues you get from dude as to age are that it's mostly 60's-70's, which is promising. If it's 30,000 - 50,000 records, you only need less than 5 percent of them to be decent, and less than say 2 percent to be fairly valuable, to make back your investment in sale/trade/worth keeping value.

I went in with a friend on a stash of approx. 100,000 45's, many water-damaged, whole thing picked over countless times - thing was, we didn't have to pay a cent for it, just had to haul it away and store it, like dude in this auction stresses. Invested the cost of a u-haul cargo van, made two trips, and spent two months with latex gloves and ventilator masks in my basement. Picked over or not, we both got piles of records for our own use, we found some funk rarities that others had missed or that only became hot/known recently, that we kept/traded/sold, with more bank still to be made. That's the thing, it's a LOT of work, and you get kinda sick of the useless piles of unwanted shit, seeing the same title 478 times, etc. In fact, other dude is mad at me (and I'm mad at myself) cause I been too lazy to go back through the sorted shit and throw 'em up on eBay, just letting them sit and collect dust.

If you own your own house, with a lot of basement space, this might be worth a couple grand, but be prepared to have it consume your life.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    The remaining real valuable stuff could be 70s & early 80s things that the seller doesn't recognize as having any worth - the pictures of his 'goodies' indicate where his tastes & knowledge run...

then again, that shit might never have been added in the first place. A local dealer with a 40 plus year history in selling 45s told me that he used to throw out anything that had 'part 1' & 'part 2' - that's about a 3rd of all funk45s right there.

---

Let me reiterate....

I'M FROM THIS DUDE'S HOOD. IT'S VERIFIED TO BE

DO DUDES JUST GLOSS OVER MY FUCKING POSTS?!

NO ALL

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    these collections are always fun. i don't care home many nutsack beatkids have been through it.

there's always some heat in a quantity like that. but you gotta be able to cherry pick. give dude a few hundred for a couple of top shelf 45s then he'll let you come back a few times.

buying the whole lot? fuck that.

EXACTLY.

Dudes, I was hipped to this collection awhile ago, and prolly for a lot less. I didn't want it, too much bullshit. I'm not weeding through a tractor trailer for 1 impeach the president 45 in slightly scratched condition.