Heavyweights (Project Blowed related)

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I'm certainly loving all of the retrospective Good Life/Project Blowed schtuff that's been popping up on the interweb as of late... Noz did a nice little synopsis of the Heavyweights posse cut series and threw on some old Source articles to boot...http://www.cocaineblunts.com/blunts/?p=584#commentsAnd my new friend SLurg has been posting all sorts of old magazine coverage...Plus plenty more here...http://ifihavent.wordpress.com/tag/good-life/

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Some things to note after reading the 2 Source articles that Noz posted...

It's true that B. Hall and R Kain Blaze should be viewed as the originators of the Good Life Cafe open mic sessions. But it should also mentioned that O-Roc also played a big hand in it as the creator of a mixtape called Undergound Radio that served as the foundation for the Good Life format. In fact, for awhile Thursday nights at the Good Life were advertised under the title Underground Radio.

The second article seems to push the idea that the Good Life was thriving for a full 7 and a half years all the way up to '97 when in actuality the split and creation of Project Blowed down the street from the Good Life occured in '94. I recall that Thursday nights at the Good Life survived past that, but it wasn't anywhere near what it was pre-Project Blowed.

Hmmm, MC Serch blew up the Good Life with a freestyle...to my dismay. Oh well, good for him.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    This was the motivation I need to transfer some of my Goodlife tapes. MP3's to come soon....

I HEARTILY ENDORSED THIS EVENT.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    This was the motivation I need to transfer some of my Goodlife tapes. MP3's to come soon....

MAN HOLLER!

My favorite article ever written on rap by anyone besides me ...

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Did Ganjah K ever come out with any official albums/singles outside of the odd track or two on soundtracks back then?

Tracii McGregor was my editor at Urb Magazine back when I was writing an Austin column (94-95). Last I heard she was working with Buju Banton on his label venture. She is so frickin badass in so many ways, I can't even begin to tell y'all...

Did Ganjah K ever come out with any official albums/singles outside of the odd track or two on soundtracks back then?

Nope. But rapping was merely his moonlighting gig anyway ...

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    There's a movie/documentary being made right now about Project Blowed, it should be something a bit more professional than the bonus DVD of last year's compilation. The crew is shooting this week at Leimert Park, so it should be an all star line up on stage thursday.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

where is the article?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

where is the article?

This is from Rap Pages, right? Who wrote it?

And yeah, Tracii is definitely good peoples.

Lyricist Lounge and Goodlife/Blowed on the same page?

I feel like Lyricist Lounge was sort of an embarassing footnote to the NY rap scene, whereas the Blowed was, whether you're feeling the sounds or not, an important institution to which many, many W. Coast acts can trace their roots/influences.

Thank you very much...with mentions of 5th Street Dick's and Big Mello (RIP) bookending the content.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

This is from Rap Pages, right? Who wrote it?

It's a long story where 5 journalists were following 5 rappers :
    Tracii McGregor (Medusa), Sheena Lester (Erule), Gabriel Alvarez (Ras Kass), T-Love (Ganjah K) and Jai Silk Bolden (Aceyalone).

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I feel like Lyricist Lounge was sort of an embarassing footnote to the NY rap scene, whereas the Blowed was, whether you're feeling the sounds or not, an important institution to which many, many W. Coast acts can trace their roots/influences.

Yes, but did the Blowed ever have a "freestyle sketch comedy show" on MTV? I think not.

NICK CANNON BIT THE LOUNGE!

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Thank you very much...with mentions of 5th Street Dick's and Big Mello (RIP) bookending the content.

Yes, but did the Blowed ever have a "freestyle sketch comedy show" on MTV? I think not.

The Blowed skipped right past that sketch comedy ish, right onto...

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Thanks for these, I read the Slurg articles a while back - that Rap Pages thing was especially good.

What the hell happened to Volume 10 anyway? I loved Hiphopera, but I slept on his second album - should I seek that out?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    What the hell happened to Volume 10 anyway? I loved Hiphopera, but I slept on his second album - should I seek that out?

He just put out a new album Pawn Shop, which isn't very good. It did inspire my Heavyweights post as he absolutely destroys those records.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts

He just put out a new album Pawn Shop, which isn't very good. It did inspire my Heavyweights post as he absolutely destroys those records.

Now that you mention it, I think I heard a couple songs from that on his myspace some months ago. And here I was lamenting the fact that he disappeared

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Hiphopera

Tops...muthafuckin'...toe.

Hiphopera

That is such a damned good album.

Where's the Sniper and Home Alone are on that psychedelic Watts paranoia warzone steez that so many of us were raised to understand as an offshoot of the Vietnam war, yet I don't think I've ever heard anyone else in rap (Organized Konfusion, Geto Boys and Brotha Lynch Hung included) to have matched the crazed starkness of 10's treatment.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

The whole album is blah, but I love love love the track w/ P.E.A.C.E., Skate.

"....white people like Nick Cannon because he makes Marques Houston seem like Omarion...."

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Hiphopera

Where's the Sniper and Home Alone are on that psychedelic Watts paranoia warzone steez that so many of us were raised to understand as an offshoot of the Vietnam war, yet I don't think I've ever heard anyone else in rap (Organized Konfusion, Geto Boys and Brotha Lynch Hung included) to have matched the crazed starkness of 10's treatment.

People probably won't take your word for it due to your rather scary obsession with anything Blowed-related, but I must say I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Hiphopera

People probably won't take your word for it due to your rather scary obsession with anything Blowed-related, but I must say I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement.

Agreed. I only discovered about five years after it's original release and it still sounded fresh and unlike anything else around.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Hiphopera

but then he would juxtapose it with some sunny day car ride stuff like Sunbeams - the remix was always one of my faves.

Hiphopera

but then he would juxtapose it with some sunny day car ride stuff like Sunbeams - the remix was always one of my faves.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:hjfyxqegld0e

Got this in the mail yesterday...

It can be heard and copped at...

http://www.myspace.com/chillinvillainclassickcutz

harvey sorry for the hijack thought you'd appreciate another storage find

Ha ha...the cafeteria at Edison used to stay packed during detention hours.