shipping from Mexico

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I got a seller asking me to pay out $45 to ship four records from Mexico. Could that possibly be right? Unless this shit is coming overnight, that just seems incredibly high but I've never gotten records from Mexico before.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    He probably is being a dick and refusing to combine shipping costs i.e. 4x $11 shipping per record. There simply is no way shipping costs that much, unless he lives in a very rural and isolated area (in which case I doubt he would have records, so )

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I've had someone stick me with charging full shipping for each record. It's bullshit. In retrospect I would actually advise taking a negative and telling him to fuck off. The seller mentioned in the auction that he would discount shipping on multiple auction wins. My mistake for not emailing and asking what that meant exactly. $1 off each record was hardly a discount when you are charging $6 a record. I emailed him and said his rates were crazy and that I knew it didn't cost that much to ship them. he stuck with it and was a supreme dickwad. I asked about it on one of the ebay forums, thinking people would back m up. Nope. I got ambushed by hundreds of people i am assuming are full-time sellers who said it was my fault for not messaging and asking full details. Fuck that.

This sounds terrible to say, but (Mexico to LA) you could probably hire someone to pick the records up for $45.

There is no way the shipping costs that much. You could probably get UPS or Fed Ex cheaper and regular postal mail even cheaper than those.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I ordered 1 LP from Mexico last month and it was like $8.00 for airmail or whatever....still took about 20 days to get to me. $45 is ludicrous, more like around $20.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I asked about it on one of the ebay forums, thinking people would back m up. Nope. I got ambushed by hundreds of people i am assuming are full-time sellers who said it was my fault for not messaging and asking full details.

hahaha! Oh lord, I can only imagine what the shut-ins that reign over the Ebay forum must be like.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I had never been on the ebay forums before, but it was an ebay recommended step to resolving a situation, so I thought I'd ask for advice. I got bombed on. I eventually stopped reading. I was attacked by hundreds who though it was fair to charge $30 for shipping when the actual postage would only cost about $12.
    It was my fault.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I asked about it and he "lowered" it to $35 which still seems pretty fuggin high. Add to this that he only has about 66 posted feedback scores (almost all positive) and I'm a little wary.

Or am I just being paranoid?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Even if he's sending it DHL (which a lot of people do as they think the Mexi postal service is unreliable), that's still high. I sent about 3/4 of a crate from Mexico City to Dallas, TX via DHL it was almost $80 US.

• TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts
    my girl is from mexico and her brother sends us vinyl all the time. it depends where this dude is sending it from, but the general consensus here is that's a touch expensive. it can be more like $20-30, but we never insure it from there, so i don't know about that.

good luck