Talk To Me - Movie Related

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Just say this today. It's only gotten limited release in a few cities, but if it's playing in yours go see it. I get the impression that it's not being promoted that well so it might have only a limited run before it gets yanked from the theaters. It has some very funny parts as well as serious moments as well. Don Cheadle is killing it as usual. Oh shit, in case you don't know, the movies based upon a true story of an ex-con who talks his way into becoming a DJ on a DC radio station.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    So the trailer tonight during "So You Think You Can Dance" and I was like "OH SHIT THAT'S THE MOVIE I'VE BEEN WAITING TO SEE." Real psyched to check it this out.

I've always thought that they should remake "WKRP" into a full length.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I'm gonna have to check this out over the weekend. I just saw Don Cheadle on The Tonight Show and he mentioned that there are Petey Green clips on YouTube, one of which Phill actually posted awhile ago:

Be yourself. RAEL TAWK.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    saw it last night, i liked it - but... i didnt love it. its got great music and good vibes, funny lines and all that, but i felt it got a bit slow and unfocused in the second half. its over 2 hours long, so it might be suffering a bit from the 'should been edited down more' syndrome, which some films get when the story is fairly simple but they want the film to feel fully fleshed out. Overall, definitely worth seeing and a surprisingly believable james brown "appearance" to boot!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Don Cheadle is killing it as usual.

So is Chiwetel Ejiofor... as usual.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is this a BIG SCREEN MUST WATCH or can it wait for DVD.

Is this a BIG SCREEN MUST WATCH or can it wait for DVD.

Well, I don't think you'll lose out on the expereince by waiting for the DVD... there is, however, something to be said for supporting Black films that are not of the Tyler Perry ilk. And not too many Black female directors get a real shot.

And not too many Black female directors get a real shot.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Mos def. If you haven't seen him in Dirty Pretty Things, go out and find the DVD. I thought it was the movie of the year when it came out and the first time I saw Ejiofor.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That's the dude from Dirty Pretty Things? He was awesome in that.

Mos def. If you haven't seen him in Dirty Pretty Things, go out and find the DVD. I thought it was the movie of the year when it came out and the first time I saw Ejiofor.

Damn, they kind of hated on him with that poster...

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I get the impression that it's not being promoted that well so it might have only a limited run before it gets yanked from the theaters.

I think the trailer they made for it was terrible. I'll see it based on reviews but the trailer makes it look really formulaic.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I just noticed that SS has been running a banner ad for the movie for a little while now.

This trailer is way better than the televised version.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Caught this yesterday. Actually got to see it
    for free, as there were these weird free passes
    at record stores around town ... looked like the
    kind you'll see for "sneak preview" screenings, but
    this one was good for two people to get into ANY show
    from Thursday through Sunday in it's general release!
    Maybe they are hoping some word-of-mouth from early free
    screenings will help create some buzz around it ...

I wasn't passing it up for free, so I made a point of getting
    out there. Kind of agree with what's been said - I enjoyed
    it, and enjoyed the first hour immensely, but it was not
    as good as it *could* have been, and definitely dragged
    in the second hour, with seemingly almost 1/4 of the film
    based around his infamous appearance on the tonight show -
    an important moment, no doubt, but when you are watching you
    get a little bored at that point. Anyway, I'm nitpicking, let's
    just say the performances, story and music are all "A+" and
    the direction/pacing is more of a "B-" so you definitely have
    a film worth watching. Worth noting that during the very comical
    first hour, the audience was really into it, big big laughs
    from the whole crowd. The MLK-related scenes are very powerful, too.

Just the fact that a film with this subject matter can be made
    and given a fairly wide release is great news, IMO. Go see it
    and support it, and maybe we'll see more films like this soon.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    i'm not sure if it will be playing out in the stix,
    but
    petey green was a big part of my childhood viewing experience

channel 20 had it all, petey, captain 20 & creature feature

hope the movie does him justice

Bump.

Anyone else seen this yet? Curious to hear opinions.

Bump.

Anyone else seen this yet? Curious to hear opinions.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    looks interesting. I saw Don Cheadle on tv last night and he was telling some funny stories and it made me want to check out the movie.

Everytime I see the ad for it I think of Tim Meadows though.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Latte pass but just watched this on HBO.b,121b,121Sometimes it sucks to be a collectro with your mind filled with arcane knowledge because little mistakes catch your eye immediately. b,121b,121Notably: the first scene in the movie is Greene pulling out James Brown's "It???s a New Day - Let a Man Come In." He then places the record player stylus on the first song on one of the two sides of the album. The song, "It's a Man's World" begins to play. b,121b,121A few moments later, the month and year is given: April 1966. b,121b,121I was thinking, "that can't be wrong" so I got up and checked and yep, "It's a New Day - Let a Man Come In" didn't come out until 1970. Plus, "It's a Man's World" is the second song on the album, not the first. b,121b,121I'm really surprised a historical error like that would have made it into a period flick like this which seems careful about accuracy. b,121b,121Yeah, I'm nerded out.

• Quote:h,121b,121Latte pass but just watched this on HBO.b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Yeah, I just saw it this spring on a rented DVD. Considering it was sold out the weekend I tried to see it at the theater, this movie just kinda came and went, didn't it? After the first week or so, no one really talked about it anymore.b,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121Sometimes it sucks to be a collectro with your mind filled with arcane knowledge because little mistakes catch your eye immediately. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121I'm like that, too. Like in Thank God It's Friday where a disco DJ mistakenly puts a Motown record in a Casablanca sleeve (it was by Meco). Sure, the DJ was coked up, but still...b,121b,121Even worse: the movie That'll Be The Day, where somebody brings home a Buddy Holly album, plays it, and out comes Ritchie Valens crooning "ohhh, Donna..."b,121b,121All in all, Talk To Me wasn't a bad flick, but they were a little elastic with dates.

• Quote:h,121b,121 seemingly almost 1/4 of the filmb,121based around his infamous appearance on the tonight show -b,121an important momentb,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121didnt happen. i think his appearance was DISCUSSED beforehand, but he never actually made it onto the show, like the movie makes it look like.b,121b,121if he had appeared on the show doing a what-am-i-doing-here monologue like he did in the movie, more people would have been talking about it. you know, "VH-1 presents twenty great embarrassing/shocking TV meltdowns" or some shit like that.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I saw this a few months back.... It was a good suprise cus I hadnt heard anything about it my mate just came thru with a bootleg of it. Good movie, though there are bits that seem a little 'white washed' so to speak.b,121b,121If you can get your hands on the dvd there are some good bonus featurettes that gets into the 'real' petey greene story, some more b/ground etc, and also breakdown how they created the sets and 'era' for the film.b,121b,121Im just wondering if Petey Greene ever put out a recording of his standup or anything of his at all on wax? Even the soundtrack for the movie would probably be full of some decent tunes.

Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121 seemingly almost 1/4 of the filmb,121based around his infamous appearance on the tonight show -b,121an important momentb,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121didnt happen. i think his appearance was DISCUSSED beforehand, but he never actually made it onto the show, like the movie makes it look like.b,121b,121if he had appeared on the show doing a what-am-i-doing-here monologue like he did in the movie, more people would have been talking about it. you know, "VH-1 presents twenty great embarrassing/shocking TV meltdowns" or some shit like that. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Yeah, I'm pretty sure I relaized that (this thread is over a year old) and b,121just didn't bother to write "his (non)appearance" or whatever.