White Stripes one-note concert

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central

I am not a fan, but I found this simultaneously cool and lame. Great idea, it was a free show, so no one was out loot for going, but why do this in New Foundland? I mean folks are probably starved for rock shows up there, why do this to them? what woulda been cool was to do this in NYC or LA, bring Times Square or Hollywood Blvd. to a standstill and then just come out a play one note...I mean if you are going to abuse your fans and the power of your celebrity, then fucking really do it. Sayin'

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Oh boohoo, it's one note, so what? THAT ROCKS!!! I wonder if I can find that on eTree...

• I think they did it so they could say they'd played every province of Canada.

That was the last one.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    you're saying they've actually rocked Nunavut?

• you're saying they've actually rocked Nunavut?

Yeah, at some point they did.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    not

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    They played a surprise show at a YMCA daycamp when they were in Toronto and played Wheels on the Bus for the kids.

On a serious note, I would assume this is part of their recent tour where they go out of their way to do unusual shows in unusual places, such as the concert they did on a city bus, etc.

I like it, because in a way when you have a lot of people saying that music has run out of ideas, here are the White Stripes saying "well, have you ever played at an ice cream factory? It's a bit like Jay-Z sitting in with Phish, no one expected that and yet the crowd all yelled out "AND THE BITCH AIN'T ONE!" Or even if it's an old idea that hasn't been used in awhile, it still looks new. The new White Stripes album is really good too,especially the mastering on the vinyl, sounds a lot better than the cholesterol clot on the CD.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    to play a single note is not a show, it's like being in an airport on a layover and convincing yourself you've visited a new state

• to play a single note is not a show, it's like being in an airport on a layover and convincing yourself you've visited a new state

They played an actual show that night. Plus, the audience was told that they would only be playing one note at the free show.

to play a single note is not a show

It all depends on what you do with that single note.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Right? They should have at least come out and played another note for an encore.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Right? They should have at least come out and played another note for an encore.

seriously

1 note = warming up

2 notes = a memorable performance

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    When the White Stripes were swimming in their daddy's balls, Gould was straight up rocking Newfoundland:

When the White Stripes were swimming in their daddy's balls, Gould was straight up rocking Newfoundland:

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I wonder if he tuned up all six strings first.

• I wonder how long they spent on soundcheck.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    That schitt is weak. Fuck the White Stripes. They made the crowd look like a fool.
    Where's all the black women at??

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Probably anywhere but a White Stripes concert in the middle of Canada.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Are they chanting, "Play a scale" ? 'Cause that's pretty funny if they are.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

you sound unfamiliar with the racial demographic of north eastern Canada.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

you sound unfamiliar with the racial demographic of White Stripes fans. This ain't no Luther Vandross concert.[/b]

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

you sound unfamiliar with the racial demographic of north eastern Canada.

Was just tryin' to be unfunny with a play on words from "Blazing Saddles". It happen'n though.