NYC: Hot and Steamy

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central

Everyone ok?

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    this shit freaked me the fuck out. i heard and felt it as i left work. i went down to 53rd and lexington to make a deposit at the bank, and as i was entering my pin number, the whole place shook. i really thought it was over. a police officer told me and a big group of people not to worry. apparently this happened in 89 as well and killed 3 people!!! WTF.

needless to say, last night was spent counting my lucky stars. THe firm where I work is moving into the empire state building, and this is just a reminder that anything can happen.

• My wife and I were walking west on 42nd street, about to cross 3rd ave on our way to get some Junior's for dinner at Grand Central. We heard what sounded like an earthquake or a building collapsing, then an explosion, saw smoke coming from Lexington Ave and looked back at the street and saw a mob of people running towards us. That may have been the scariest moment in my life. Positive it was an attack, we turned around and ran in the same direction, passing my car which was parked on 42nd between 2nd/3rd. By the time we got to 2nd ave, people calmed down a little and were just staring, taking pics, and calling people. We continued to just walk uptown and finally got in touch with a friend who had a TV and assured us it wasn't terrorism, got some dinner and luckily retrieved my car which was surrounded by firetrucks and emergency vehicles.

So we're fine, just a bit shaken up and glad that it wasn't as bad as we thought it was.

If I hadn't asked her to leave GSC (where she was waiting for me) to bring me $5 in quarters for the meter, we would have been separated when it happened, and I would have been running around Grand Central looking for her.

At first they were saying it was a blown transformer. I thought, of course, right when the movie is in the theatres...

Hope everyone is ok.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    I think a handful went to the emergency room. 1 person is said to have died due to this accident.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

The firm where I work is moving into the empire state building, and this is just a reminder that anything can happen.

They're opening a McDonalds at the Empire State?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    what exactly do you add to this forum, dude? go play beer pong w/ your frat bros or whateverthefuck.

frat bros
    ???

pfffft. you obviously haven't a clue.

but if you have issues with beign picked on by frat boys, you should try xanax.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    someone ban this fucking mark please.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    that's insane

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    that's insane

I know, why would someone want to ban Saba?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Cats were havin 9/11 flashbacks.

RUN!!!!

• Options

RUN!!!!

I'm sayin. I flipped on the tv to catch Seinfeld and see within two minutes the Rescue 1 truck and the Squad 288 truck, both of which my brother worked for. I didn't know what was going on for a sec and was reaching for the phone when the news cleared it up. I have to say, they did a good job covering this and avoiding too many pointless tie-ins to 9/11, and went out of their way to calm people down and say it wasn't terrorism.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

RUN!!!!

I'm sayin. I flipped on the tv to catch Seinfeld and see within two minutes the Rescue 1 truck and the Squad 288 truck, both of which my brother worked for. I didn't know what was going on for a sec and was reaching for the phone when the news cleared it up. I have to say, they did a good job covering this and avoiding too many pointless tie-ins to 9/11, and went out of their way to calm people down and say it wasn't terrorism.

No Doubt.

As long as my 4 train got me to work this morning, im fine.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I really thought it was all over, Matt. Like a dirty bomb or something. I had trouble sleeping last night.

• The view from 42nd and 2nd at 5:57pm yesterday:

NOT A GOOD LOOK

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    the shortbus took an L.

• I really thought it was all over, Matt. Like a dirty bomb or something. I had trouble sleeping last night.

I had a dream last night I was watching a video of a woman standing next to the manhole when it exploded.

the shortbus took an L.

I hope you and the rest of the kids were alright. And you weren't too late for your shift at McDonalds.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    yeah, the rain had all of NY wylin out yesterday.

We were supposed to go to Broohaven Labs on L.I. yesterday, and ended up doing a 4 hour roundtrip on the Van Wyck - we never made it out of Queens: accident on the Van Wyck literally had traffic in a standstill, flooding and an accident on the LIE closed it down to one lane, and lighting strikes at Brookhaven knocked all the power out so they wouldn't have been able to show us anything anyways.

When we got back to Brooklyn College...FLAMES WERE COMING OUT OF MANHOLES.

seriously. The fire department just had them roped off and were chilling waiting for them to die out.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I don't know if anyone's ever done any industrial or multi-storied plumbing, but water hammering (what the authorities are suspecting caused this) can be some serious shit at the pressure levels they are talkin about here.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Everyone ok?

that would have scared the shit out of me. Glad everyone is alright and this was nothing more than a broken pipe.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts