a week w/ john travolta vs a week with pink eye

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
i choose pink eye.peace, head... but on a serious note, that's beyond scary to me. that's like the tidal wave of blood through the hall in the shining to me. or when donald sutherland realizes in Don't Look Back that what he thought was his dead daughter is actually a homicidal midget in little red riding hood garb

Comments

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    A week with Diarrhea VS a week with crabs!!!!
    I choose Diarrhea

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Wait, that's him?

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    John Travolta.....DAMN

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Wait, that's him?

yeah they remade HAIRSPRAY

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Don't Look Back

The makeup job makes DS look just like Dylan live in concert. Heh.

Seriously, though - why did this movie need to be made into a musical and then back into a movie? The original movie was pretty good - or at least tolerable as a light date movie - especially the Toussaint McCall lip-sync.

But these new billboard-sized bus stop ads make me want to do somehing dangerous and irresponsible - like diss cult leaders in front of Rawb H.

Upon further review: Although John Travolta might not seem to posess the mettle to carry Divine's, ah, girdle, the Scientologist has eaten enough figurative dog shit throughout his career to nearly square matters with the Filthiest Person Alive.

And then, there's this:

• One thing you have to give Travolta is this: he had one of the best first lines of any movie.

"You almost broke my pussy finguh!" (Saturday Night Fever)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Wait, that's him?

Oh dear me.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Wait, that's him?

Gotta respectfully disagree here. Obviously, I've not seen the Travolta version yet, so I oughtn't really judge, but the o.g. was great fun (especially the "It's Madison Time" sequence). This just seems like another example of the current trend for pointless remakes. The only interesting thing about it to me is that the work of one-time Hollywood pariah John Waters (albeit one of his tamer efforts) is now considered mainstream enough for a big-budget do-over. Who saw that coming?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Don't Look Back

I'm confused. Are we talking about Don't Look Now (Donald Sutherland+dead daughter) or Don't Look Back (grumpy fart+guitar)?

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Be thankful you don't live in NYC and are subjected to such Broadway classics like

and

and I'm highly anticipating Spiderman: The Musical with music by Bono

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    The only interesting thing about it to me is that the work of one-time Hollywood pariah John Waters (albeit one of his tamer efforts) is now considered mainstream enough for a big-budget do-over. Who saw that coming?

Dude no kidding. If you had told ANYONE in 1981 that in 26 years this lowbudget HAIRSPRAY movie is going to be remade with that hasbeen from SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER & GREASE (and believe me, Travolta was most certainly nothing but a punchline in 1981), you'd have been taken to the psych ward.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

i choose pink eye.

peace, head...

but on a serious note, that's beyond scary to me. that's like the tidal wave of blood through the hall in the shining to me. or when donald sutherland realizes in Don't Look Back that what he thought was his dead daughter is actually a homicidal midget in little red riding hood garb

HILARIOUS on so many levels.

Can I choose club foot for a month?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Christopher Walken was on the Daily Show promoting this movie, wearing a suit and a V-neck tee.

Wait, that's him?

Gotta respectfully disagree here. Obviously, I've not seen the Travolta version yet, so I oughtn't really judge, but the o.g. was great fun (especially the "It's Madison Time" sequence). This just seems like another example of the current trend for pointless remakes. The only interesting thing about it to me is that the work of one-time Hollywood pariah John Waters (albeit one of his tamer efforts) is now considered mainstream enough for a big-budget do-over. Who saw that coming?

i was being facetious. i don't think a remake is necessary.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    About two weeks ago I was playing salsa records at the Lucky Cat when this one seemingly drunk guy comes up to me and says, "I just want to ask you one thing...what do you think of the Hairspray remake?" I was like "Whaaaa?" "Hairspray, the remake," he repeats. At first I thought he was talking about Hair, the play, which they are putting on again in NY. So I said, "Yeah I guess its ok Age of Aquarius and all that." And he's like, "No no no, the movie" "Oh you mean the one with the fat chicks with big hair?" "Yeah!" Sarcastically I said, "Another hollywood remake, greeaaaatttt" and he walked away seemingly satisfied with my answer. I had no idea what he was talking about until this thread, but still pretty fucking random.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Christopher Walken was on the Daily Show promoting this movie, wearing a suit and a V-neck tee.

Walken exists in a realm outside fad and fashion. I'd prefer it if you didn't sully his name with that graemlin in future.

Don't Look Back

I'm confused. Are we talking about Don't Look Now (Donald Sutherland+dead daughter) or Don't Look Back (grumpy fart+guitar)?

AHHHH, my bad. I meant Don't Look Now with DS and Julie Christie

that scene where it turns around is one of the scariest things i have ever seen in the movies

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    or when donald sutherland realizes in Don't Look Back that what he thought was his dead daughter is actually a homicidal midget in little red riding hood garb

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    You guys are a bunch of fucking idots. This is not a remake. It's a movie version of the smash Broadway musical which is based upon the original movie, similar to the recent movie version of The Producers. That being said, there is a fascinating (and by fascinating I mean as a study of self-indulgence) article in this weekend's NYT arts section about Travolta's long flirtation with this project and why he chose to do it in the manner that he did. He looks ridiculous and nothing could get me to go see this except threats against my childrens' health.

Did anyone ever hear John Waters on American Roots talking records? He is deep in late 50s early 60s r+b and other stuff in that era.

The New Yorker review of the new Xanadu musical (yeah that just happened) is positively bubbling. That figures, bad movie=good musical is the new "bad novel=good movie".

Lastly, where have all the good movie's gone? I Ghosts of Goya supposed to be any good?

PS What would a week with Travolta entail? Scientology stuff? Urban Cowboy anecdotes? A ride in his Gulfstream? All of these sound more appealing than pink eye. Although I don't think I could handle having to watch any of the Look Who's Talking series.