Boredoms. Why?

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
AM I missing something? I recently began looking into this bands' output, and I'm not at all impressed. I feel like the drums are way too heavy handed, and the mixes are are too compressed. I bought the latest super roots (which sounds way better on slow down) and Seadrum/house of sun. NEither really did anything for me. The drumming is not that great--and it seems to be what gives them a decent amount of their cred. The second track on Sea Drum sounds like two Popol Vuh tracks playing at the same time. Are there some other albums that are different, or are these good indicators of their sound? This stuff doesn't have anything on the Can trifecta.

Comments

• I don't get it either.

The only good Boredoms related album because they recorded it with Ween.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    This stuff doesn't have anything on the Can trifecta.

Trifecta?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    they're one of those bands that you just have to say you like and then never listen to. then you can hang with people like rapedonkey and maybe do a bong hit with thurston moore.

• careful frank, your coworkers might notice your hard-on for me

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    the 'Boredoms vs Unkle' cd/lp is a much easier listen. You might be able to download it. The cover looks like this:

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Ive been a big fan ever since I heard the first Naked City record and had to find out who the crazy screaming motherfucker was on there. Super Are, Vision Creation New Sun, Super Roots 3(an acquired taste this one, it basically applies the Spacemen 3 aesthetic to speed metal) and Super Roots 7 are my faves. Some of it is just plain weirdness, but I love 'em. But folks looking for traditional structure and timbre are not going to like them...

For a more palatable music, try the Boredom's side project(one of many) called Rovo. Speaking of the side projects, Hanadensha "Narcotic Guitar" is an essential to all Kraut heads...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    careful frank, your coworkers might notice your hard-on for me

as long as you notice, let the co-workers hate.

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts

What does? If you judge all bands against Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, and Future Days you are going to be permanently disappointed. Give this one a listen:

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    You can't bother with them unless you want to here some crazy shit. The first Super Roots is good, Pop Tatari is good. The Auio Sports side project is cool. Basically Beastie Boy beats with crazy Japanese screamrap over it. Also MC Carhouse and DJ Hellshit are cool exerimental blasts.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I loved the Boredoms around the time of Soul Discharge and Pop Tatari... other than hip-hop, I was mostly listening to Japanese noise and Naked City type stuff around 91-93. I haven't revisited that material much in the last 5 years, so I have no idea how it holds up.

I do find their evolution fascinating, and I think I've said this before, but they were certainly ahead of the curve with their Hawkwind/Alice Coltrane/drum circle schtick. That said, they entered that phase in the late 90s and have seemingly been in a holding pattern since, which is a little disappointing given the relentless sonic curiousity that every new release of theirs would reflect in the 80s and 90s.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    All Boredoms are good

All side projects are good

Good? All.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Maybe your ears are broked?

- spidey

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

What does? If you judge all bands against Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, and Future Days you are going to be permanently disappointed. Give this one a listen:

Yeah, I agree - I like this one a lot. Vision Creation New Sun is excellent, too.

• ^ What they said. I like Super AE and Seadrum/House of Sun from the later period, and Pop Tatari and Chocolate Synthesizer from the earlier era.
    It helps to remember that (I think) they don't take themselves that seriously, and make records like Chuck Jones made cartoons.

Some good related stuff: Zeni Geva's Live in Amerika . Totally ridiculous tongue-in-cheek caveman doom metal. And this dude is a very skilled guitar player.