I'm 80 & White but RAP MUSIC TAUGHT ME THE N WORD

emyndemynd 830 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=ca04bcbe-1209-43c9-854e-b9ac8ea2770bEx-college Official Admits To Racial Slur He says n-word was 'slip-up,' has stepped down By Eric Tucker , Associated Press Writer Published on 7/17/2007 Providence ??? The former longtime chairman of the Roger Williams University board admitted Monday to using a racial epithet to refer to blacks during a board meeting, saying it ???kind of slipped out.??????I apologized for that,??? Ralph Papitto said in an interview on WPRO-AM. ???What else can I do? Kill myself????Papitto, 80, admitted he made the comment at a private board meeting in May. Since then, three board members who demanded his removal were ousted, and Papitto himself stepped down after nearly 40 years on the board. On Monday, two of the departed board members and some students said his name should be removed from the Ralph R. Papitto School of Law, Rhode Island's only law school.Papitto, who has given more than $7 million to the university, said he used the n-word while discussing the difficulty of finding blacks and other minorities to serve on the 16-member board of the Bristol-based university, which at the time included 14 white men, two women and no minorities.Barbara Roberts, one of the ousted board members, said Papitto became irate when he discussed pressures to make the board more diverse, at one point calling black candidates the epithet.She said he then told the board he knew he couldn't say that because of Don Imus, the radio host who was fired after referring to Rutgers University women's basketball team members as ???nappy-headed hos.??????There was, like, this complete and utter silence, and I was shocked beyond belief and very angry,??? Roberts said.Papitto said he had never used the term before.???The first time I heard it was on television and then rap music or something,??? he told WPRO.[/b]The university president and the law school dean denounced Papitto's remarks in separate statements Monday. President Roy Nirschel said the addition of new members to the board will make it one-third female and ???increasingly diverse and global.??? Law School Dean David Logan said the incident would be taken up at a meeting of the law school's board of directors.Logan plans to present the board with a petition from law students demanding that the school's name be changed, said university spokeswoman Judi Johnson.???I don't think it's appropriate to name a law school after someone who uses racial epithets that are shocking,??? Roberts said.Leaders of three student groups at the law school said Monday they want his name removed.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    And check the context:

Papitto, who has given more than $7 million to the university, said he used the n-word while discussing the difficulty of finding blacks and other minorities to serve on the 16-member board of the Bristol-based university[/b], which at the time included 14 white men, two women and no minorities.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I bet you this dude surprised even himself but using that as an excuse.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    ???I apologized for that,??? Ralph Papitto said in an interview on WPRO-AM. ???What else can I do? Kill myself????

the genuine heart-felt contrition and sincerity of this apology is moving.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

and.. and.. i learned it from RAP music... yeah... that's the ticket[/b]

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    ???I apologized for that,??? Ralph Papitto said in an interview on WPRO-AM. ???What else can I do? Kill myself????

In fact, yes, that is what we've all been thinking.