quitting smoking and gaining weight

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I quit smoking two weeks ago and gained 5 lbs in the first week. In the 2nd, I'm up to 8 lbs...approaching 10. My pants don't fit no more. Will this ever stop?

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    you could maintain your weight by exercising but I feel you. My appetite is bigger than ever! I've gained like 7-8lbs. too ever since i quit 4 months ago.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    exercise

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    what are you eating? Or are you eating at the wrong times......that might be your downfall. Don't save the biggest meal for dinner....

Get your fruit servings up, if you're hungry instead of grabbing chips have some fruit. It's summer so a lot of fruits are in their prime seasons, I just had some vine riped organic peaches the other day and they were incredible. So juicy.........

Also exercise (I need to take heed of this one). Even start small, go for a walk after dinner w/ your ipod that you dj w/ (I kid) and enjoy a stroll.

It's just a temporary bump but if you eat correctly you should level off and go back to normal.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    fuck that you guys are showoffs "man oh man I don't know what to do with all these extra pounds" there are skinny beanpoles like me that would kill for that type of weight gain. At our weekly meetings we sit arond the krispy kreme doughnuts and dream about the one day we could talk about weight gain and mean it.

So go on with your fancy bragging about getting fat I'll just flick my thumb at y'all in a really mean way when your not looking

FUCKERS!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    fuck that you guys are showoffs "man oh man I don't know what to do with all these extra pounds" there are skinny beanpoles like me that would kill for that type of weight gain. At our weekly meetings we sit arond the krispy kreme doughnuts and dream about the one day we could talk about weight gain and mean it.

So go on with your fancy bragging about getting fat I'll just flick my thumb at y'all in a really mean way when your not looking

FUCKERS!

Guzzo, fer real I was like you and so many other dudes, for my whole life I was mad skinny and could eat lard pies and still not crack 140...for a while it was cool, as I got older and dudes started getting thicker and I was still The Thin Man...then I hit 30 and shit got weird, and I ain't alone...enjoy being a rail while you can, cause although you see some dudes stay beanpole into old age, most dudes hit some switch at 30 and the body e x p a n d s...

...and I quit smoking (cold turkey) around 8 months ago, put on about 15lbs, maybe even 20, and can't seem to shake it yet (although my eating habits are very poor - I do exercise like a mutha) - in fact, even though I bulked up a bit after 30, this post-smoking blow-up is the first time in my life I've felt aware of a gut, ashamed of the tight shirt stylee, etc...some kind of summer BOOT CAMP is in order, it's like 2 weeks to beach weather around here!!

Don't miss cigs a bit, though. As long as I can puff some herb once or twice a day, I'll never smoke a butt again - and I smoked non-stop for over 15 years. By the time I quit, they were making me sick just to think about them, even though I kept smoking...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    what are you eating? Or are you eating at the wrong times......that might be your downfall. Don't save the biggest meal for dinner....

Get your fruit servings up, if you're hungry instead of grabbing chips have some fruit. It's summer so a lot of fruits are in their prime seasons, I just had some vine riped organic peaches the other day and they were incredible. So juicy.........

Also exercise (I need to take heed of this one). Even start small, go for a walk after dinner w/ your ipod that you dj w/ (I kid) and enjoy a stroll.

It's just a temporary bump but if you eat correctly you should level off and go back to normal.
    Probably the best answer. I had quit smoking 3 months ago and the main thing that has kept me from lighting up is exercise (basketball, softball, running, etc,.) Eating a lot of fruit and drinking water has really helped also. BTW, I'm a skinny dude with a very high metabolism so no matter how much junk I eat, I will always be slim. Peace.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

FUCKERS!

Guzzo, fer real I was like you and so many other dudes, for my whole life I was mad skinny and could eat lard pies and still not crack 140...for a while it was cool, as I got older and dudes started getting thicker and I was still The Thin Man...then I hit 30 and shit got weird, and I ain't alone...enjoy being a rail while you can, cause although you see some dudes stay beanpole into old age, most dudes hit some switch at 30 and the body e x p a n d s...

...and I quit smoking (cold turkey) around 8 months ago, put on about 15lbs, maybe even 20, and can't seem to shake it yet (although my eating habits are very poor - I do exercise like a mutha) - in fact, even though I bulked up a bit after 30, this post-smoking blow-up is the first time in my life I've felt aware of a gut, ashamed of the tight shirt stylee, etc...some kind of summer BOOT CAMP is in order, it's like 2 weeks to beach weather around here!!

Don't miss cigs a bit, though. As long as I can puff some herb once or twice a day, I'll never smoke a butt again - and I smoked non-stop for over 15 years. By the time I quit, they were making me sick just to think about them, even though I kept smoking...

you just hit the nail on the head for me. i was skinny as fuck most of my life. i always wanted to put on about 15-20 lbs. however after 30 and after not smoking everything is going to my gut. i lift weights a lot try to redistribute, but everthing ends up on the love handles. i'm starting to look as if with child. the other day i found this mysterious small object in my belly button. some kind of lint/crumb

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

JESU!!!

I need to get an exercise regimine together before I look like this dude

The slowing down of metabolism sounds like no biggie when you're a young scrappy but let me tell yawl... at 28 I've started bigging up like crazy with no change in lifestyle... it was fun at first but now I'm getting worried... and having to replace your wardrobe is a bitch as well...

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Keep a close eye on your cholesterol and blood pressure if your gut is expanding and the rest of you isn't. Waist circumference in men is a better predictor of heart attack risk than BMI, and people who otherwise appear healthy but have a lot of abdominal fat (commonly referred to as a "beer belly") are surprised when they end up with CVD.

As for smoking cessation, trying some Zyban or Wellbutrin in tandem with a patch for a few weeks will make you less likely to relapse. It might help suppress your appetite, too.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

"Last week, the city's anti-smoking laws went into effect, and already, New York City has gained 20,000 pounds."

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I gained a stone from giving up.

Giving up is hard.... until two weeks later you figure out it's actually not.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Hey hommie, you should try to quit smoking weed on a daily basis as well. When you smoke weed and hold the smoke in your lungs, the THC and other chemicals in the weed do major damage to your lungs. Taking one hit of weed is equal to smoking multiple cigs at the same time. Just a thought.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    the thing to keep in mind is this: after 30, mens metabolism (and SEX DRIVE!) takes a nice little nose dive. Hence the party balls (as versus the 6 packs). Lifting weights won't do shit - all you do is beef up the muscles under the fat, which will make you look bigger. The key kind of exercise is AEROBIC exercise - stuff that gets your heart pumping and makes you sweat - running, biking, swimming, stairmaster, etc. are all good aerobic exercises.

Change is diet is also necessary - if your metabolism is slowing down, you can't break down those double cheeseburgers with fries as easily, right? Start eating more veggies and fruits. Also, a lot times when we feel hungry, we're actually thirsty, so drink a glass of water and see how that holds you over.

The other sneaky bitch is that cigarettes deadens your tastebuds, so when you stop smoking, they start to heal, and food tastes a lot better, making you want to eat more, which combined with slower metabolism equals BEER BELLY. Alcohol is also crazy high in 'empty' calories: calories get converted to sugar, extra sugar gets converted into fat!

On a personal note: I`ve heard all the talk about maryjane being 20 times worse than a ciggie, but my personal experience - I`VE NEVER HAD A SMOKERS COUGH FROM MARIJUANA - only when I`ve binged smoked (ciggies) the night before. There hasn`t been any serious study of marijuana ever, and usually they smoke out some chimps with like a whole ounce - which 99.99% of stoners don`t do anyways. So I think that`s BS, but that`s just me.

....wait, what were we just talking about?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    alive... with pleasure.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    those images are horrible. but so is inhaling smoke in your body. it makes no sense but i did it for 4 years of my life. and i ain't going back cuz i don't want no coughing/breathing problems when i get older.

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts

Hey hommie, you should try to quit smoking weed on a daily basis as well. When you smoke weed and hold the smoke in your lungs, the THC and other chemicals in the weed do major damage to your lungs. Taking one hit of weed is equal to smoking multiple cigs at the same time. Just a thought.

someone who knows better can correct me if im wrong, but i believe its not the smoke that causes damage but the heat. which is why doctors who recommend smoking herb for medicinal reasons also recommend a vaporizer.