Is there a "John from Cincinnati" thread?

pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I couldn't find one...What do people think of this show? I was veeeeeeeeeery hesitant, but I can honestly say that I really like this show now.I'd love to hear theories on the show.I think John is some kinda of religious/spiritual guide or something. But I think he is also similar to Skippy the bird. Did the guy from hawaii say something about having a shapeshifting chameleon back in hawaii? And he always calls John a shapeshifter?-pj

Comments

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    As someone with an interest in surfing who wanted really badly to like this show, it only took 3 and 1/2 episodes before I thoroughly convinced myself to never waste my time watching it again.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I've been trying REALLY hard to like this show... but it's just not going anywhere.
    It's like "What happened in J.F.C. this week?"
    "Well, a bunch of guys hung out at the motel. The surfer kid didn't say anything. The grandma got all crazy for a minute. And John just stood around repeating everything everyone else said".

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

thats cool, i understand people not diggin this show. It appeals to the David Lynch fan in me. I don't mind that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense sometimes. Its more the overall "feel" of the show & the characters that interest me.

And Ed O'Neil is fucking awesome.

-pj

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Its more the overall "feel" of the show & the characters that interest me.

This is how I felt about deadwood. I will probably check this show out.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

thats cool, i understand people not diggin this show. It appeals to the David Lynch fan in me. I don't mind that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense sometimes. Its more the overall "feel" of the show & the characters that interest me.

-pj

agreed

al bundy is amazing in this show

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    I've been trying REALLY hard to like this show... but it's just not going anywhere.
    It's like "What happened in J.F.C. this week?"
    "Well, a bunch of guys hung out at the motel. The surfer kid didn't say anything. The grandma got all crazy for a minute. And John just stood around repeating everything everyone else said".

i keep watching because i NEED something interesting to happen. the characters are okay but could of gotten either better actors or better scriptwriting... or both.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

i keep watching because i NEED something interesting to happen. the characters are okay but could of gotten either better actors or better scriptwriting... or both.

I think plenty interesting has occured. The healing, the levitation, the Lotto winner subplot is interesting, as is the interaction of the family to each other and how it has changed from grandmother/father -> mother/father -> son.

In the most recent episode there were some scenes that were drastically different than everything before it (the motel dream(?) scene). And I feel like they raised even more questions.

It reminds me of something David Lynch said in an interview once. He said that he begins every piece of art (film, painting whatever), with one small idea. Usually a vision of some sort, and builds everything around that. Sometimes this method of working doesn't lead to readily recognizable storylines, as the goal is to realize that initial vision or image rather than tell a story (although story is obivously part of it). So, for JFC, I think the vision was a father levitating. Or a kid that heals after being pecked by a bird that talks to its owner.

I enjoy watching this show because I don't understand nearly anything that is happening. I don't know why things happen on screen...nothing seems to make sense, but somehow I can think of ways to make it work out. And that interests me. Maybe it will all be explained, maybe it won't. But its been a while since I watched a show that had me thinking this much.

-pj

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts

-pj

agreed

al bundy is amazing in this show

this show is dope. i think jon is an alien, similar to jeff bridges character in starman.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

this show is dope. i think jon is an alien, similar to jeff bridges character in starman.

i think john is god or a messenger from god.

what is the deal with luke perry?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    When you think about it there's more than a passing similarity to K-PAX

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

cooooooooooooooomeooooooon dude. you still on this theory? even after the last episode? So now the alien can jump into other peoples heads when he passes out? And "knows" when someone is going to commit suicide?

I am not convinced its as simple as him being god/messengerfromgod, but I think it is much more complexe than him being an alien. Probably more spiritual than religious, but definately something along those lines.

-pj

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    when you think of alien...you think of some little green dude huh ?
    no. alien meaning, not of this world...not like a "mortal". jon has powers nobody has...except for god. funny thing is...he cant fit in, has no idea how to speak or act like a human, just like the starman character. go watch that movie and tell me how its any different. bring dead things back to life, etc...

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    when you think of alien...you think of some little green dude huh ?
    no. alien meaning, not of this world...not like a "mortal". jon has powers nobody has...except for god. funny thing is...he cant fit in, has no idea how to speak or act like a human, just like the starman character. go watch that movie and tell me how its any different. bring dead things back to life, etc...

naw, i understand exactly what you mean....I don't necessarily need ET phoning home to make an alien. My point is that in the show his powers seem to have a larger purpose. Even the way he talks. He does repeat what people say, but he also seems to have a purpose. For example, you know something is happening with the filmmaker. She is important somehow. Her camera is important, because of what John says. This goes beyond just an alien wandering around, conjuring money out of his pocket or keeping people from killing themselves.

But to be fair, I guess based on your definition, yes he may be an alien....but all that really means is that he isn't human. And that is pretty obvious! I think he has a more spiritual purpose there than just a visiting alien.

-pj

• PJ, i heard John from Cincinnati has some of the rarest ohio funk 45's around.

• JoeRoJoeRo 32 Posts
    PJ, I watched 4 episodes since you guys suggested it last week. I like the concept of the show and I'm interested to see where it goes from here. It's definitely dope. However, let me say this--the acting is split between excellent and horrible.

Excellent:
    Al Bundy
    John
    Link
    Mitch
    Spanish dude from the hotel
    Nerdy jewish lawyer/ mitch yost super-fan

HORRIBLE:
    Kai......she pukes most of her lines
    Butchie.....is this dude trying to be Sawyer from Lost?
    Shawn........might have actually experienced brain trauma from a real life surfing accident.
    Rebecca Demorney.....what's up with her constant over-acting?

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

almost made me turn off the tv on sunday.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

I can't argue with that....she does way overact in this.

I know Shawn & Kai are surfers in real life. I don't follow surfing, but I know that the Kai actress was on the pro tour...and acting just fell into her lap. Perhaps same for the Shawn actor? I'd hope so, cause you are right about his acting....ugggg.

Doesn't ruin the show for me or anything.

-pj