working class dj rant

francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
what is going on in the mind of every psychopathic office lady who decides to have a party? even people who know how to throw down have problems getting the right spot, vibe, & funds to make it all worth while. what makes this helpless creature think she can do it right?when does she have the idea of hiring a DJ to accent her flair for quality hip hop? what makes her think smashing pumpkins and biggie smalls will get the place rocking? what the fuck does she know about ANYthing, besides hiring and firing people round the office?that said, i had the pleasure of dealing with a psycho over the phone to negotiate the pay for my performance at her fandango party. She suggests $300 as a good number for me bending over to play her magical combo of musical genres. i agree. we set the date, all is good. one hour later she calls again to try to reneg and hopes i will take less money. i then reassure her that $300 is the "magic number" and i really can't do it for less.i show up, rock the party, she loves me, her phabulous friends are in love with me. "i'm going to book you again and again, thanks for doing this!! you rock!!" as she hands me the knot of cash, presumably $300. end of the night, packing up, party is long gone, i decide to count the dosh. $180 light. word up.call the psycho up today and ask about the balance she has yet to pay me. she is flabberghasted and asks me why i am trying to ruin her beautiful day, especially after we had such a fine time last night. i then remind her of our deal. turns out she had a whole different deal worked out in her head, one in which the venue was supposed to inform me of my shorted pay night of the gig. ???? i insist she pays, remind her that a deal was made between the two of us and not with any 3rd parties. she then launches into a whole schpiel about how many connections i'm breaking by demanding my money, including A WHOPPING INTRODUCTION TO A MEMBER OF LINCOLN PARK???? she went there.i'm left with the promise of the balance being mailed to me by check in "a few weeks". ----this is the first gig i've taken after a 2 year DJ retirement stint.....feels good to be back.at one point in the conversation today i told her that her business practices were Not A Good Look. she hated that

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Sounds like its time to get gully.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

call the psycho up today and ask about the balance she has yet to pay me. she is flabberghasted and asks me why i am trying to ruin her beautiful day, especially after we had such a fine time last night.

I FUCKING ABHOR WOMEN LIKE THIS!!

That really sucks...make posters of her around town about how she's a sceezeball bitch who can't pay up.

I am so freaking tired of people hiring dj's/band's, etc and all of a sudden not able to come up with the money...PAY THE FUCKING ARTIST!!

UGH!&%^&@*@$(@*&$*@*!!!!!!!!!!&^^^^^!!!!!!!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    PAY THE FUCKING ARTIST!!
    not sure i'd equate djing with "art". just sayin tho...

why the fuck you doin gigs for $300??? you shoulda cracked her over the head for at least $1200 if you had to take equipment.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I have some deadbeat clients like this. Not for DJ gigs but for my office job. I'm going to be paying some visits sometime next week.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    at least $1200 if you had to take equipment.

And possibly , at least from my POV...

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts
    PAY THE FUCKING ARTIST!!
    not sure i'd equate djing with "art". just sayin tho...

compared to the party in that place last night, i may as well have been Pablo Picasso.

--
    "why the fuck you doin gigs for $300??? you shoulda cracked her over the head for at least $1200 if you had to take equipment."

HAHAHA next time. next time. IF THERE IS A NEX TIME.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Contracts dude. Gotta get a contract. Nothing fancy, just the agreed amount signed by both parties. I got jerked at a graduation party last month where i got $100 shorted. But any gig like that im doing again im signing shit. I have a contract with a wedding im doing next week which makes me hell of a lot more confident from the fear of getting fucked.

contracts are only as good as the rat who signs it.

but the idea is cool.

this was on some last minute, call a name on a fushia sticky, type of thing. no time for contracts, not even loaded ones.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Cash up front. why settle for less?

• Cash up front. why settle for less?

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

i'm left with the promise of the balance being mailed to me by check in "a few weeks".

Just turn up on her doorstep with a few sympathetic friends and say...

"FUCK YOU, PAY ME !!!!"

You get no points for being "nice" in this life !!!!!

"if you can just do this one night gratis we can guarantee you a residency"

"we barely made enough to pay the band, promise to make this up next time"

"we can't have a cover charge, but we'll give you a percentage of the bar"

"the money isn't so good, but we will feed you"

"the owner should be back in 10 minutes, he's going to pay you"

"the owner had to leave, please talk to the manager"

"an 11 year old on a moped will drive by and deliver a sock filled with loose change for you sometime in the next few weeks"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

"an 11 year old on a moped will drive by and deliver a sock filled with loose change for you sometime in the next few weeks"

CASH. UP. FRONT.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

FUCK YOU,PAY ME !!![/b]

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I had a huy I know ask me to play for 4 hours in the city next month OUTSIDE during the day at a festival... on a Sunday. I told him $500 minimum. He said he was thinking about $300. I told him I will not even think about it for less than $500. He calls me back an hour later and offers $400. I tell him that $500 is the minimum and that realistically, I would typically want more than that but because I know him I'll go DOWN to $500. It's just not worth it for me to pack my gear, drive an hour, find parking, lug my shit to the location, set up, play raers and then do all that in reverse again for less than $500.

Motherfuckers don't understand the work that's invovled in this shit mang.

Dude hasn't called me back, and frankly, I really ain't mad.

• "if you can just do this one night gratis we can guarantee you a residency"

CASH. UP. FRONT.

i almost always use a contract and ask for a non-refundable deposit of at least a bill up front...pz

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    take it to the

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

FUCK YOU,PAY ME !!![/b]