where's my fusebox? home-r

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I think some squirrel just went ZAP on the powerline in back since sparks are getting thrown and I've lost half the power in my home. Yeah, half - weird right?I tried flipping the circuit breakers but no dice. I'm thinking it may be a burnt fuse or, of course, maybe the line supplying power to the front of my house is just plain dead (I don't get how I'm still getting power to the other half but I'm also no Bob Villa).Here's the thing: I can't seem to find a fusebox anywhere. Circuit breakers, yes. Fusebox, no. There should be one, right? Any suggestions on where to look (besides in all the closets and the external permiter of the house)?

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Dude, call the power company. Tell them you have a live wire. Let them figure that shit out. Don't play with

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I thought that having circuit breakers replaced having a fusebox, but maybe I'm wrong here.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I already called DWP. Sparking powers = nagl, esp in the dry, hot weather we've been having. But a burnt fuse is easy to swap out...assuming that's the problem. I'd rather just try to do this myself, if possible but sure, I'll wait for DWP to roll through too if necessary.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Dude, spelunk is right--breakers replace fuses in most cases, unless you've got some sort of jenky set up where you've got two boxes, one with fuses and one with breakers. I've never seen a combo box. Two boxes isn't an uncommon set up--one's the master and one is the slave, but there seldom is a situation in which you've got a box with each type of current control. If you've only got breakers, and you've definitely checked all the breaker boxes and the power still isn't coming on, you should call someone with more expertise.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Breakers usually replace fuses. Do you live in an apartment building or is your home a single unit building? Electricity makes me nervous. If you saw sparks outside, then its beyond anything you can do yourself. It could be that there's more than one line running to your house and that's why you have power in part of it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dude, spelunk is right--breakers replace fuses in most cases, unless you've got some sort of jenky set up where you've got two boxes, one with fuses and one with breakers. I've never seen a combo box. Two boxes isn't an uncommon set up--one's the master and one is the slave, but there seldom is a situation in which you've got a box with each type of current control. If you've only got breakers, and you've definitely checked all the breaker boxes and the power still isn't coming on, you should call someone with more expertise.

My last apartment had both, which I found out after considerable trial and error, trying to figure out why I couldn't get the power to go back on despite flipping the breakers. Though, in that case, the fusebox was located next to the breakers so it was easy enough to locate the burnt out one. I didn't realize this was an unusual set-up (as noted, I'm definitely not home improvement skilled).

In any case, I was pleasantly surprised to see DWP get out here in less than an hour and fix the fallen line (that's scary to know there was a live wire sitting in someone's backyard) in relatively short order.

Thanks for the help fellas.