Songs that the writer should have sung themselves

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
i know with hip hop there are plenty of ghost writers, and with other music there are those that write songs for others, even though they themselves are vocalists/artists...interesting concept. so i was wondering if anyone knew of tunes written by one artist but sung by another?i'l nominate "nothing compares to you" by prince, but sang by sinead o'connor...SHOULD HAVE BEEN SUNG BY PRINCE. you can mention stuff unrelated yet related, like how dj muggs did "Jump Around" originally for cypress hill, but gave it to house of pain, and now and forever at wedding receptions when they want to get people on the dancefloor, its and irish man you hear as opposed to a latino. or you can mention songs that are more famously known for their covers, ie Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" which just blasts Dylans version

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I wish LL was on Self-Destruction instead of MC Lyte.

• I wish Stevie sang tears of a clown his self.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think Gladys Knight did Grapevine before Marvin, both versions are great. CCR's version puts me to sleep. I keep wondering 'when will this song end?'.

Why do I never see Shel Silversten records? (Ballad Of Lucy Jordan, Boy Named Sue...) Was he terrible?