Italo Disco??????????

bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
This needs to be discussed...What is it? Early to mid eighties disco/kinda electroy dance music that was popular in Italy after the disco craze died out in the U.S.? Please clarify...Also, is there anything worth checking out? I've seen some pretty corny lookin' records going for some serious scrilla as of late. Help me out...

Comments

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    So everyone else is with this genre as well...Come on, someone knows!!!!!

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The term is kind of a misnomer, because it really applies to a European sound more than a particularly Italian sound. It tends to have a more detached, spacey, robotic and/or hi-nrg feel to it than the disco that came before it. It was also a much more underground phenomemnon than the first disco wave. There's hundreds of tracks worth peeping, though. Just wiki "italo-disco" or something for a list.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Just wiki "italo-disco" or something for a list.

I like Tantra "Hills of Katmandu" off this record:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TANTRA-THE-DOUBLE-LP-THE-HILLS-OF-KATMANDU_W0QQitemZ190130324101QQcmdZViewItem

is that Italo Disco?

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    a good starting point for italo would be the "Unclassics" cd that Morgan Geist of Metro Area put out on his Environ label.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

THIS is Italo Disco, or Italian Boogie, or whatever. Italian sound is special, not all European Disco Music from the 80's sound like this.

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts

THIS is Italo Disco, or Italian Boogie, or whatever. Italian sound is special, not all European Disco Music from the 80's sound like this.

Ahhhh, I am familiar with some of these artists...makes sense...too many damn genres of music these days!!!!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Ahhhh, I am familiar with some of these artists...makes sense...too many damn genres of music these days!!!!

Yeah. I figure it justr had to be produced by some with a name like Giuseppe Ateballiccio

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    The term is kind of a misnomer, because it really applies to a European sound more than a particularly Italian sound. It tends to have a more detached, spacey, robotic and/or hi-nrg feel to it than the disco that came before it. It was also a much more underground phenomemnon than the first disco wave. There's hundreds of tracks worth peeping, though. Just wiki "italo-disco" or something for a list.

One statement is off. Giorgio Moroder is far from underground. There were tons of Italian/Euro disco tunes that were top 10 hits all over Europe. Dance Music has always charted in Europe. Much of that "italo-disco" sound was not very underground at all.

Don't forget U.S. disco started off underground, and continued to produce non-radio friendly music straight up for the clubs before during and after the days of commercial radio friendly disco.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts

I always thought Gino Soccio was Italo Disco only to Find out he was Canadian when I looked for this Lp image. Dope Italian Disco Lp anyway (for someone from Quebec)

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I've seen some pretty corny lookin' records going for some serious scrilla as of late.

Many of them sound corny as well. I;m sure you already know this, but just becuase records sell for money doesn't mean they are any good.

I dislike much of the Italo Disco sound with very few exceptions.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Dance Music has always charted in Europe.

That's coz it only takes about 15k sales to get number one and that's in the bigger markets.

That's why we also get novelty records at number one every fucking christmas.

I always thought Gino Soccio was Italo Disco only to Find out he was Canadian when I looked for this Lp image. Dope Italian Disco Lp anyway (for someone from Quebec)

Italo is a state of mind no? Usually a coked up state of mind

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Another good intro to the sound is the IF - Mixed up in the Hague mix, if you can find it.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    You can do your homework right here:

http://www.cybernetic-broadcasting.net

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Dope Italian Disco Lp anyway (for someone from Quebec)

• defcondefcon 30 Posts
    check out peter micioni! The one with the cat footprints! http://www.goblin.org/pmicioni.html

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    most of the best italo / euro disco is from quebec

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

I ride hard for Gino. All of his records are somewhat weird and when you sit back and think it's a wonder they had any pop appeal or were even made, perhaps this is why many of them were found in cut-out bins. In any case, his records are interesting and he's responsible for whoomp there it is.

Gino shreds.