Stereo receiver help and advice...

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
My stereo receiver is about crap out. What's happening is that the audio suddenly cuts out completely, as if it's overheating. I say this because I can turn it off for a while, and it will work when I turn it back on... then it cuts out again. It's rendered my 1200 useless in the meantime, which sucks since I bought a bunch of records today. Too bad they don't have a headphone jack.I went shopping at Best Buy tonight, and they only offered one single receiver with a phono input. It was a Yamaha for $499. I'm not too thrilled about throwing down five bills, so I'm wondering if there is a more economical solution. The thing is, I also have a subwoofer that I would like to use, so I would like a receiver that has a sub output. For that reason, the $500 price tag may be unavoidable, because the less expensive receivers don't have the sub output. Any make model recommendations would be appreciated.I'm also considering having the stereo repaired (it's a Sony). Has anyone had this problem before? Any idea what it is? Any idea how much it might cost?

Comments

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    One option would be to grab a phono pre-amp (usually around $30) which will convert a phono signal to line level. Then you could use any line input.

Or you could grab a cheap mixer to do the same thing.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    One option would be to grab a phono pre-amp (usually around $30) which will convert a phono signal to line level. Then you could use any line input.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Cool. Didn't know the pre-amps were so inexpensive. Probably what I'll do.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

Cool. Didn't know the pre-amps were so inexpensive. Probably what I'll do.

For some reason, I'm not seeing it on the Radio Shack site (though they've always sold them ... could be phased out) but here is one on eBay for $13.