getting serious...

danmccauleydanmccauley 25 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
whats good all? just got my first pair of tables. have been collecting records for a bit though. wondering if i can get pointed in the right direction to care for my vinyl now that i'll be using them more frequently? also, are there any good books/magazines for 60/70s funk/soul/jazz? thanks!dan

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    whats good all?
    just got my first pair of tables. have been collecting records for a bit though. wondering if i can get pointed in the right direction to care for my vinyl now that i'll be using them more frequently? also, are there any good books/magazines for 60/70s funk/soul/jazz? thanks!

dan

Welcome Dan!

• wondering if i can get pointed in the right direction to care for my vinyl now that i'll be using them more frequently?

dan
    Welcome!

scratching with raers =

• are there any good books/magazines for 60/70s funk/soul/jazz?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    whats good all?
    just got my first pair of tables. have been collecting records for a bit though. wondering if i can get pointed in the right direction to care for my vinyl now that i'll be using them more frequently? also, are there any good books/magazines for 60/70s funk/soul/jazz? thanks!

Depends on if by "using them" you mean DJing or if you want a solid play turntable....

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    are there any good books/magazines for 60/70s funk/soul/jazz?

• wondering if i can get pointed in the right direction to care for my vinyl now that i'll be using them more frequently?

dan
    Welcome!

scratching with raers = the best look ever

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts
    Hey Dan,

Check these books....

Funky & Groovy Music Records Lexicon

Here's a good site for ....SoulBooks

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    scratching raers-

with Microwave, just archive them, then you can rock the doubles anyways and keeps the vinyl pristine for removing panties.

• go to your main library and read the bound copies of downbeat

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    You should pick up a good bag or case for your records. Turntable Lab carries some good ones. I use a crate sized bag (I think a UDG) where the front section of the bag can open up to allow for flipping. Their newer designs on the Labcabin page look even better (and simpler). Just try to find a good balance between comfort (you'll be lugging it around a lot), protection, and utility.

It will take a bit of DJing before you nail down how many/which records to bring out with you. You want enough variety to service requests and to be able to try different things with a crowd. But you probably don't want to lug around 8 crates (though I do spin with an old school hip hop DJ who regularly rocks 6-8 crates and kills it).

Big on Wax Poetics. Top quality articles/photography. And they focus on what they love, not necessarily what is "hot". Always a great read.

And welcome. If you hang around this site enough, you'll likely find it much more useful and informative (and goddamned hilarious) than any magazine.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    And a thousand drive-by lurkers eye their screens jealously as the board's welcoming response to the newcomer increasing chaps their collective ass.

• Thanks so much all! Solid recommendations! Just got in George Benson - White Rabbit ...... shazaam! Also came across some nice 45's at the thrift store including Curtis Mayfield - Superfly ..... lovin' it!

thanks again, peace.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Why did I not know about this? Price is steep, I want one though.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I finally broke down and bought the last edition of the funk lexicon after wanting one for a few years. Kinda sorta disappointing. It's a neat book and all, and the pictures are cool, but it has no reviews and is lacking in useful info (IMO). I personally do not really need a cryptic chart to decode "the funk cuts" on the "funky" Rusty Bryant albums. I admit this is more of a me problem than anything though. It's a cool book, but I was hoping for better (or any) reading material.

• the lexicon seems cool , but really, I'd rather drop that kinda dough on more records!

has anyone here copped the R&B indy encyclopedia or whatever its called? four volumes , each thicker than the lexicon with (almost) every label/discog for 'merican soul/r&b 45s

I peeped at rookys' a while back and was impressed, a few titles I thought of off hand weren't in there, but suprised by what was, label art variations, etc.

choice.

• My bad, this :