Douglas records ?'s

KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Was this a thing where everytime they released an album they put another number after "Douglas". Isn't El Topo and Hooterool on this label w/ different numbers after it? Also anyone know if this here LP on Douglas 8 is worth $8 and what the music is like?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    anyone know if this here LP on Douglas 8 is worth $8 and what the music is like?

i think that album is supposed to be fusion (several members were in the later, jazz-rock edition of the paul butterfield blues band

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    anyone know if this here LP on Douglas 8 is worth $8 and what the music is like?

i think that album is supposed to be fusion (several members were in the later, jazz-rock edition of the paul butterfield blues band

Good jazz rock lp. They had a second lp on WB. Neil Larson was part of the group, and I think he has Santana connections. A quick allmusic search would clearify.

I always think of the Last Poets LP as being titled Douglas 3, but thats the label #.

Douglas, if I am not mistaken, was the engineer at Electric Ladyland Studios. When Hendrix died all his money disappeared and the rights to his recordings went to mysterious off shore companys. Douglas was likely a part of all that crookedness.

Dan

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Also anyone know if this here LP on Douglas 8 is worth $8 and what the music is like?

I only really dug the one track, side 1 track 1, which was on some early-ohio-players vibe, nice & funky, but the rest of the LP did nothing for me. Personally, I would hold out to find it for $5 or less if you can, it's pretty common for a Douglas LP. I paid $8 and felt I had wasted some $$$ for one good song.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    There were two different DOUGLAS labels... or at least thats what I'd been told

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

i assumed it was the same one, just with different distributors over the years (laurie, CBS, pickwick, casablanca)

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

i assumed it was the same one, just with different distributors over the years (laurie, CBS, pickwick, casablanca)

I just did some research and it appears they are all the same! I thought that there two different Douglas subsidiaries of different majors releasing material at the same time...

Man alive, he must've worked with every major at some point or another... wild