when's the last time...

TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
..you heard someone bumping music other than hiphop, rock, or bad euro house outta their cars?what was it that they bumped?my experience: the other day a cat rolls by blasting sun ra. not nearly as hard hitting as back in black or sustained 808's but still...

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Last Saturday morning waiting for a bus a middle-aged lady rolled by blasting Main Ingredient's "Magic Shoes." Took me a second to place the song like "I know I have this, but what the hell is it??"

Damn that lady made my day.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    around here the main sounds comin out of the cars are Dancehall, Reggae, middle eastern dance music and a smattering of hip hop.

the other day i was chillin on the patio and this lady pulled up to park her car.. just absolutely BLASTING on the gospel music.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I hear contemporary Indian and Middle Eastern music blaring from the cars of young men a lot in my neighbourhood. Chutney was huge last summer, we???ll see what???s up this summer.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    ..you heard someone bumping music other than hiphop, rock, or bad euro house outta their cars?

what was it that they bumped?

my experience: the other day a cat rolls by blasting sun ra. not nearly as hard hitting as back in black or sustained 808's but still...

Around DC, I would have to think hard as to the last time I heard someone bumping something OTHER than Go-Go. I remember last summer all I heard was "Crazy In Love", and even that was Go-Go based.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I stay blasting oldies.

Problem is, I push this:

not exactly low low....

but at least it matches my Ipod :/

• Options
    Definitely dancehall here in Scarborough.

K.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    My favorite was like a year ago when I saw this 50-ish guy in a metallic blue mid 70s Corvette blasting- and I mean blaring- Emerson, Lake and Palmer as he pulled up to the 7-11 near my house. What happened to all these audiophile prog-rock dudes with advanced speaker systems anyway??? They practically invented the shit. It's like some serious "white flight" went down as soon as blacks and latinos got in the game.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I stay blasting oldies.

Problem is, I push this:

not exactly low low....

but at least it matches my Ipod :/

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    main sounds comin out of the cars are Dancehall, Reggae, middle eastern dance music

thanks for mentioning these.. i nearly forgot about reggaeton, approx. once every 5-10 minutes. more during last weekend's parade.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    Middle aged guy in a Plymouth blasting "It's a Man's World" parked on the curb at JC Penny while he waits for his wife w/ 5 shopping bags. true story.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Middle aged guy in a Plymouth blasting "It's a Man's World" parked on the curb at JC Penny while he waits for his wife w/ 5 shopping bags. true story.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Metal.....goddamn, do I hate metal. [/small rant]

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Ranchera. Funny because all you hear is the polka bass line.

I was driving with my inlaws. Stop light. Next to car blaring heavy metal. My Father inlaw cranks the Virgil Fox At The Heavy Organ. Funeral type Bach piece. I mean CRANK. I thought windows were going to start to shattering. Happened in Seattle, West Lake.

Dan

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    you forgot Tejano. damn N-don't you live in chicago?

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Come to lovely downtown LA. You'll hear plenty of that Mexican accordions and trumpets stuff blasting outta cars. Is that Ranchera? not sure...

• Ranchera. Funny because all you hear is the polka bass line.

I was driving with my inlaws. Stop light. Next to car blaring heavy metal. My Father inlaw cranks the Virgil Fox At The Heavy Organ. Funeral type Bach piece. I mean CRANK. I thought windows were going to start to shattering. Happened in Seattle, West Lake.

Dan

Ranchera is what we get out here in the Outer Mission of SF. The horns are what stand out for me.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    you forgot Tejano. damn N-don't you live in chicago?

i live two floors above chicago to be exact but yeah, tejano, norteno, ranchero.. those are big on my block as well.

but what's the most odd 'music on blast' you've heard? i was lucky enough to hear debbie gibson in elgin today.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    my experience: the other day a cat rolls by blasting sun ra

that is some funny shit.

i remember one time in Beverly Hills, this lady in a rolls royce was blasting some kind of opera or musical shit. it was rather gangsta.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    All I hear is reggaeton, salsa, and mainstream hip hop.

Personally, I love being the guy blasting left field shit out the truck I drive for work - people see me jamming to some Joe Quarterman or Chuckie Mingus full blast all the time, up in this crazy freezer cap box truck.

I got the free "Ca$h Play" CD from the fundraiser, and I gotta say that shit has been in the personal ride on lock! Perfect joint for driving around town on these hot summer nights, windows down...I swear chicks at red lights get into that awesome patented female "I'm amused by you/I would make out with you" thing going when the Ca$h Play is on blast...at least that is, until y'all folls come over the mix all loud like "YO, THIS IS JIMMY HEATDIGGAH FROM ANCHORAGE - WORDS TO THE FUNK SLAPS WITH MY MAN RAJ ON CASH PLAY CASH PLAY cash play cash play!!!" and suddenly I'm exposed once again as an internet record poindexter...

• in chi-town @ around 2a.m. some dude rolled by my friends and I blasting what sounded like polish techno. dude holds up a bottla vodka and yells "YOU WANT DRINK!?!?!?"

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    elgin

yo????

people give me the crazy look when I'm blasting some spiritual jazz shit and the horns are just blaring out the speakers for miles. then they see who I is and they all like, "damn that's that next level shit like random. FAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" then the light turns green and I straight crush on by.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    tejano, norteno, ranchero

Whatever it is, it's the soundtrack to Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill por favor creer.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I know when the landlady pulls up because there is either oldies or classical blasting from her BMW Z3.

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    some 60 year old dude in a slammed Avalanche, all windows down driving by The Corner (popular area across from the University of Virginia) blasting loud that Mariah Carey "its like that" joint....everyone he drove by just stopped and stared...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    tejano, norteno, ranchero

Whatever it is, it's the soundtrack to Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill por favor creer.

really?

we've only even had that station for a year or two

I guess I'm blasting my heatrocks too loud to notice...