Clifton Davis Songwriter

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I was checkin a couple of episodes of this and in the pilot,Clifton/Cliton Davis is discreetly hummin'Uppermost to himself. So i checked the Skywriter LP - Jackson 5 and found he was the writer. I knew he wrote Never Can Say Goodbye for J5. Anybody know his writing history? Was he a failed singer? found acting more lucrative?And what's the Melba Moore/Clifton Davis Show?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

And what's the Melba Moore/Clifton Davis Show?

A summer-replacement variety series that ran in '72.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I was checkin a couple of episodes of (That's My Mama) and in the pilot,Clifton/Cliton Davis is discreetly hummin'
    Uppermost to himself.

So i checked the Skywriter LP - Jackson 5 and found he was the writer.

Hey, just making sure he gets some extra residuals when the TV show went into reruns!

What I want to hear is the full-length version of "Swamp Woman!"

If you look and listen closely, that's like a running gag on the show - the character of "Earl Chambers" kept walking around singing "swamp woman...can't let your love pull me down" or something like that. And sure enough, when the actor who played him went on to star in the short-lived Sanford Arms***, there was an ep where he was trying to teach his son piano by playing "Swamp Woman." Nice continuity, even though the same actor was playing a different character...

[color:blue]***After Sanford & Son ended production in 1977, NBC came back the next season with Sanford Arms, a show about the hotel that Fred Sanford ran on the side, without Fred and his son Lamont. It probably aired for about a month before it died; I think BET even reran it at some point. [/color]

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So did anyone besides J5 cover Uppermost?