WAR vs MANDRILL

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I always confuse them what's your choice???[this is a trick jungian question.....not]

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

This is a good versus!!!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    WAR

Ive NEVER found myself humming a Mandrill tune...WAR gots songs...

Ive NEVER found myself humming a Mandrill tune

Get Familiar.

War got more radio than Mandrill.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    WAR is more varied than Mandrill and had more good albums overall...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

This is a good versus!!!

I'm stuck...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    brooklyn vs san diego

deal with it

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Ive NEVER found myself humming a Mandrill tune

Get Familiar.

War got more radio than Mandrill.

I think I am pretty familiar...of the only 8 or so hip hop records I own that is one of them and I have had plenty of Mandrill LPs over the years, I never hesitate to throw them in the sale box for record swaps...I still say War are better songwriters.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Mandrill, though I'm not crazy about either one. Great music, just not a favorite of mine.

WAR is more varied than Mandrill and had more good albums overall...

Man,.......... Composite Truth has them on some Multi-Culti shit.

And Mandrilland got them on some Jazz & Rock shit.

I'm not a fan of any of either band's records from beginning to end, but the songs that I do like, I think are amazing and unique - they each do what they do really well and can do a variety of sounds/moods well.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Both are good
    I'mma tip my cap to Mandrill because War does too much harmonica work on their tracks.

I'mma tip my cap to Mandrill because War does too much harmonica work on their tracks.

This is a mitigating factor - WAR gets cornball at times

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    im giving it to war. their good songs are better than mandrill's good ones.
    although both bands have a bundle of slop

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I can't choose.

But this has been in heavy rotation these days:

but does War have anything that comes close to the scalp-tingling heaviness of Two Sisters of Mystery?

both bands have a bundle of slop

Yes.

but does War have anything that comes close to the scalp-tingling heaviness of Two Sisters of Mystery?

I think Slippin into Darkness is heavier (not fuzz gtr-chugging heavier but heavier nonetheless)

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Both are good

Goes with the territory. Lee Oskar played the hell out of that thing and deserved the spotlight.

(Of course, I play harmonica too, so I'm biased, but Oskar was no rudimentary Bob Dylan honker; I prefer him to any number of funk bands who featured the goddamned flute[/b]...)

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

I think Slippin into Darkness is heavier (not fuzz gtr-chugging heavier but heavier nonetheless)

this is probably as heavy as they got. think i'd have to ride for mandrill overall, they had jazz, rock, latin, funk all mashed into one. i guess war did too, but one thing mandrill never did was record a song called 'why can't we be friends?'

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    the scalp-tingling heaviness of Two Sisters of Mystery?

familiarize me with this scamp tingling.
    i have to say i am more familliar with War's music as well.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    you guys are putting slippin into darkeness over magic mountain in terms of heaviness?

over

??????

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

this is probably as heavy as they got. think i'd have to ride for mandrill overall, they had jazz, rock, latin, funk all mashed into one. i guess war did too, but one thing mandrill never did was record a song called 'why can't we be friends?'

"why can't we be friends" is the shit
    both bands were great but probably have to give it to War. but yeah tough call.

you guys are putting slippin into darkeness over magic mountain in terms of heaviness?

Most definitely.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Most definitely.

define 'heaviness'

lyrically 'slippin' wins but if we're talking sonically, 'two sisters' is on top (reverse-)

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    define heaviness

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    will someone drop a two sisters mp3 for me please.
    ive been down on mandrill lately and they need some redemption.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    WAR

Ive NEVER found myself humming a Mandrill tune...WAR gots songs...

Dude, you need to listen to 'House of Wood' again, you may catch yourself hummin'...

that said, WAR by a country mile. They are in that rare company of EW&F and P-Funk as almost creating genres unto themselves.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    the scalp-tingling heaviness of Two Sisters of Mystery?

familiarize me with this scamp tingling.

She said "scalp-tingling; I don't even know what scamp-tingling is, but I doubt bassie indulges in it.

• Hmm.

I'd pick Mandrill myself - just because I dont think War made an LP as strong as Mandrill's 'Just Outside Of Town'. I really love that set.

War had better singles, could jam a groove till the next morning but couldn't fashion an album like Mandrill. Actually I think Mandrill ONLY came into their own in the context of a long player. I think it depends what kind of musical chunk you might feel more inclined to listen to.

Having said that, both bands had plenty of cheese to spare but Mandrill had a few tunes here and there which I found more awesome than anything I ever heard from War and/or 'funky' Eric Burdon.

So I think I pick Mandrill.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    War.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Slipping Into Darkness + Me And Baby Brother > Mandrill

Sorry guys, it's War