Roni Sarig - "Third Coast" (bookstrut-related)

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Have any of our resident writers/Dirty South connossieurs/Real Schitters/carpetbaggeurs read/are reading this? Any thoughts? A journalist friend passed his review copy on to me, because it's just had its UK publication. I'm about 100 or so pages in, and I have to say I'm enjoying it. As someone whose knowledge of and familiarity with the history and scale of Southern rap has only really begun to extend beyond the key players and developments comparatively recently, I'm getting a lot out of it. It does a good job of joining the dots between the established music industry in the South and how it developed, and the way the rap scene has developed as a natural extension of those pre-existing musical styles and practices, rather than simply trying to emulate what was happening on the East & West coasts. There's plenty of fascinating little details as well - for instance, I was surprised (although I really shouldn't have been) to discover just how many key figures in the Southern rap game come from conventional musical backgrounds or have formal musical training. Interesting, when you consider that one of the common criticisms levelled at a lot of Southern rap is its lack of so-called creativity. I was warned in advance that it sags a bit in the middle, and that the stuff on DJ Screw is "fantastic", but initial impressions are that, as a Southern rap primer, it more than does the job. I'm sure much of the contents won't be new to some of you, but for others, it's definitely worth a look.