SS FASHIONISTAS: STYLE ADVICE FOR A FUNERAL

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
gotta attend a funeral on Thursday... i'm tryna figure out the proper attire. of course the suit will be a dark color, in this case charcoal grey... usually i just go with the basic plain ass white shirt for such events, but i was thinking about a wine shirt / wine tie w/ print or possibly a steel blue shirt / tie situation. let me add that this is the funeral of an older white, pillar-of-the-community type person (a good dude, too... sorry to see him go). some o' yall might know betta than me what would be most appropriate in such a situation, cuz if this was a black folks funeral i'd be cool even in the orange suit (well, maybe not orange for a funeral.... purple definitely )

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    What up Phill. I would keep it real conservative at a funeral. Dark suit, dark tie, black shoes, black belt, white shirt.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo Phill,

Go as conservative as possible with your shirt-and-tie combination. Personally, I suggest a White shirt and a tie that complements your charcoal gray. I'd say give it a little color, tie-wise, with say a red, burgundy, or maybe even a light yellow with a nice print. Or, you could get all Sidney Poitier up in there with a solid colored dark tie, or a tie with a print if you want to get a lil' jazzy. Here's a nice example, and you could also set it off with a matching, silk pocket square for your chest pocket:

Best of luck and my condolences for your loss.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    cool... that's how i usually do it, just the basic white shirt etc. i've seen folks at funerals rock some schitt in recent years, i just wanted to make sure i wasn't what up Chan! ain't you supposed to be partyin' with ya man Preme by now? (oh, i forgot... it's only 9 somethin' on the west coast.) What up Stacks! I will hollar, man... all caught up with death, vertigo and plans to BBQ or boogaloo at the moment

and yep, i'll be rockin' a tie VERY similar to that. now just gotta get my stunna shades and i'll be good to go

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Phill,

See, we're definitely brothers from other mothers! I like to brighten up dark suits with a little color in my tie choice. Now, you gotta hook up the matching silk, burgundy pocket square for that chest pocket. If you really wanna get jazzy, rock the crisp, medium starched, white dress shirt with cufflinks Check ya PM to see how I get down.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Check ya PM to see how I get down.

Oh hell naw!!! Post that pic here!!!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I get compliments from old ladies all day with the charcoal suit/light yellow tie/white shirt combo at work. Steer clear of the 2 or 4 button job for a funeral though- i would stick with the conservative cut 3 button, single breasted type.

• Options
    You'll be fine going the conservative route. You don't have to stick to a white shirt either, but I think you said you wouldn't be doing that anyway.

i've seen folks at funerals rock some schitt in recent years

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts

...presents: Real Men Of Genius. We salute you, Mr. Goofy Looking Cyclist Spandex Wearing Guy Who will Probably Get His Ass Kicked By PETA For Stomping On A Fox With Dominatrix Boots...

sigh.... pics like this just make it so hard for me to ride for old school hip hop the way I do

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Is that a crotch tassel?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Are those scrunchy boots?

aw, nawww... i can't have yall clonnin' flash and the five mc's that'll rock ya on down to ya knees like that! hard to find pics that show them PRE crotch tassels, but here's the best i could do to prove that they DID once dress like regular folk

the guys who INVENTED this rap schitt (although they fortunately failed in their attept to popularize scrunchy boots amongst the hip hop population )

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Make sure you post a pic of what you decided to wear.

Make sure you post a pic of what you decided to wear.

whoops... already took off the ensemble before poasting, so i won't be able to show off my stylish funeral wear game. but i can tell you that i damn near woulda been a-ight even with the purple suit! MAD heads was up in there wearing whuteva whuteva... light colored suits, various colored shirts, some didn't wear jackets, seen a couple dudes in polo shirts, all types of styles were on display. one dude who looked like he was in a band had all kinds o streaks in his hair and an unbuttoned black shirt w/ hip stylized t-shirt underneath... soon as the proceedings were done and he got outside he produced a black-on-black fitted with some sort of skull on it and threw it on backwards. One co-worker arrived to the funeral in his everyday work attire- $5.00 polo shirt tucked into some tight, ill-fitting no name sweatpants hiked up above his waistline.

I did my thing, though... went with the black suit instead of the charcoal grey (last minute suggestion by the wife), burgendy print tie (four-in-hand... had to give the windsors a rest this time), white shirt (widespread collar, 2 1/2 points), black shoes (i forget who makes them to be honest... somebody italian is all i know), burberry shades

one other noate- this was my first catholic funeral, and I swear, when the organ started and the singing got good I really wanted to throw some drums over that schitt! that was some david axelrodian holy-are-you schitt right there, son! next catholic funeral i attend i'm bringing my handheld digital recorder fo real