Bush Had No Choice

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
So, I'm reading is soulstrut how Bush Commuted Libby sentence. Frankly it did not make a lot of sense to me. Why do it mid day on a Monday when he could wait a day and a half and do just before the 4th of July holiday when no one is looking. Bush is famous for those moves.So I read a few reports and listened to ATC and this is what I realize, but I have not yet heard it articulated.1) Libby just this morning lost his appeal.2) Libby's sentence is reflective of on going obstruction of justice.3) Libby could have gone to jail as early as tonight.4) Libby does not want to go to jail.This is what I think happened. Libby lost appeal. Libby called Cheney and said I am at my lawyers and we are calling Fitzgerald and cutting a deal unless I get a pardon. Cheney called Bush. Cheney was told Bush was talking with Putin and could not be disturbed. Cheney said "Fuck that asshole put the little cowboy on the phone now!". Cheney talks to Bush. Bush quickly commutes Libby's sentence.This does not hurt Bush. the 1/3 of the nation that supports Bush has been lobbying for this from day one.Remember the start of Plamegate? Bush said nobody in my administration did this. I am going to appoint a special prosecutor who will get to the bottom of this. Who ever did this must be punished to the full extent of the law. If it was someone in my administration they will be fired. I guess we can pile that on the Bush pile of lies.

Comments

• chasechase 767 Posts
    did anyone really think Libby was going to jail?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Remember the start of Plamegate? Bush said nobody in my administration did this. I am going to appoint a special prosecutor who will get to the bottom of this. Who ever did this must be punished to the full extent of the law. If it was someone in my administration they will be fired. I guess we can pile that on the Bush pile of lies.

Armitage leaked the name. Libby got busted trying to cover it up.

What's the big deal anyways? You don't have to tell the truth in court. Nobody does.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Remember the start of Plamegate? Bush said nobody in my administration did this. I am going to appoint a special prosecutor who will get to the bottom of this. Who ever did this must be punished to the full extent of the law. If it was someone in my administration they will be fired. I guess we can pile that on the Bush pile of lies.

Armitage leaked the name. Libby got busted trying to cover it up.

What's the big deal anyways? You don't have to tell the truth in court. Nobody does.

Truth hurts.

• Question for Legal Strut. Is it possible to cut a deal after the trial and sentencing has been completed? I would have assumed once someone has been told how long they're going away for it's too late to try to cop a deal?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    did anyone really think Libby was going to jail?

really.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Armitage and then Rove[/b] leaked the name. Libby got busted trying to cover it up.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    If there was a conspiracy to discredit Wilson and punish Plame then that was a much bigger crime than the actual leak. Most people think that Rove and Cheney set in motion a rumor campaign that lead to Armatige's outing of Plame. While Armitige was the original source for the original story many others in the conspiracy also gave Plame's name to reporters who either did not use the information or who used it confirm what was already at that point known.

It is the conspiracy that Libby is claming up on.

Yes you can have your sentence reduced after sentencing. Remember Judith Miller?

If there was a conspiracy to discredit Wilson and punish Plame then that was a much bigger crime than the actual leak. Most people think that Rove and Cheney set in motion a rumor campaign that lead to Armatige's outing of Plame. While Armitige was the original source for the original story many others in the conspiracy also gave Plame's name to reporters who either did not use the information or who used it confirm what was already at that point known.

Yes you can have your sentence reduced after sentencing. Remember Judith Miller?

But wasn't that contempt of court? I don't think she was formally tried and convicted of anything, just held on contempt charges, which is a different situation. I may be wrong, but I don't think you can make any plea deals once you have been convicted and sentenced, but obviously you can get that sentence commuted.

But wasn't that contempt of court? I don't think she was formally tried and convicted of anything, just held on contempt charges, which is a different situation. I may be wrong, but I don't think you can make any plea deals once you have been convicted and sentenced, but obviously you can get that sentence commuted.

People have their sentences shortened by the court every day. It is a major tool that prosecutors use to get testimony. If Libby would cooperate with the investigation they would drop his obstruction charges and lessen his sentence.

People have their sentences shortened by the court every day. It is a major tool that prosecutors use to get testimony. If Libby would cooperate with the investigation they would drop his obstruction charges and lessen his sentence.

But that's all BEFORE sentencing. The risk the President and his cronies would have run by letting Libby do time and get pissed off is what he would say to the PRESS, and thereby open doors to other investigations. This one is pretty much officially over.

Wether by conspiracy or by unspoken understanding, Libby and Cheney KNEW he was not going to do ONE DAY in jail.

But that's all BEFORE sentencing. The risk the President and his cronies would have run by letting Libby do time and get pissed off is what he would say to the PRESS, and thereby open doors to other investigations. This one is pretty much officially over.

Wether by conspiracy or by unspoken understanding, Libby and Cheney KNEW he was not going to do ONE DAY in jail.

After sentencing. Come on lawyers set us straight here.