Columbian salsa heads: what's up with Fruko?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I heard this song off of Fruko's "El Grande" LP which was niiiiiiice but I notice dude has quite a few albums out of Columbia. What's the real deal? Which of his albums got them Latin/salsa heat?Hep a strutter!

Comments

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Do you have the Soundway Colombia compilation?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I heard this song off of Fruko's "El Grande" LP which was niiiiiiice but I notice dude has quite a few albums out of Columbia. What's the real deal? Which of his albums got them Latin/salsa heat?

Hep a strutter!

I think I got that record.
    Does dude look like a big hairy version of Barney Rubble on the cover?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Do you have the Soundway Colombia compilation?

Yup - "Salsa Na Ma" is my joint. I hadn't looked at the tracklisting in a minute and forgot Fruko was on that. Anyone know which Fruko LP that song is off of?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    La Fruta Bomba on Fuentes 1973 is pretty hot. Lots of different styles, a good amount of salsa piano, horns and vocals, but most of all plenty of loosey goosey Colombian style percussion. Can't remember what the cover looks like, I had to sling it due to sealed-yet-rotted-latin syndrome.

Re: Soundways comp.... I can't believe they stopped at 1976. So much Fuentes heat into the mid 80s, believe it or not. But what gripper is gonna buy a 76 to 86 vol 2????

• I have yet to hear bad Fruko. He made some of the heaviest, rawest and hardest hitting salsa dura. El Grande is one of my favorites: Manyoma, Confundido (just included it on a new mix), and the classic hit El Preso. I don't know how they mic'd the piano to make it sound like that. + Wilson Saoko and Joe Arroyo = soul.

"Salsa Na Ma" is on either the one where he's dressed up like a dictator on the cover (El Violente), or the one where he's sitting in a bathtub (El... damn, can't remember right now).

And cosign on the late seventies and early 80's material too. Still sounds pretty raw. Very effective on the dancefloor.

Viva Fruko! My boy is down in Cali right now. I hope he does his homework...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I have yet to hear bad Fruko. He made some of the heaviest, rawest and hardest hitting salsa dura. El Grande is one of my favorites: Manyoma, Confundido (just included it on a new mix), and the classic hit El Preso. I don't know how they mic'd the piano to make it sound like that. + Wilson Saoko and Joe Arroyo = soul.

"Salsa Na Ma" is on either the one where he's dressed up like a dictator on the cover (El Violente), or the one where he's sitting in a bathtub (El... damn, can't remember right now).

And cosign on the late seventies and early 80's material too. Still sounds pretty raw. Very effective on the dancefloor.

Viva Fruko! My boy is down in Cali right now. I hope he does his homework...

Yo - your brother is the one who played "El Grande" for me. He says your Latin collection makes his look mad lil dude

Send me your unwanted Latin raers!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Fruko's output is relatively solid through the early 80's.
    he had some doozers too...
    he's had some gigs in ny over the past few years but i've never been able to make it out.

peace.

• Yo - your brother is the one who played "El Grande" for me. He says your Latin collection makes his look mad lil dude

Send me your unwanted Latin raers!

glad to hear he's spreading the sounds. heard that party went real nice. Don't think I have any Fruko doubles right now, but I might have some other stuff you'd be into.

funny, cause, no matter how much I start thinking I'm makin progress knowledge wise, then I go and invite Aleit to spin with me ^^^^^^^^^^ and I get repeatedly SONNNED. Track after track of straight fire raers. All the records that I had seen pics of but never heard, plus lots I'd never even heard whispered about.

O-Dub, ask Aleit and dood will have shit for you!!! Guaranteeeed. Hope I'm not blowing up your spot A. Just trying to make a good connection.