What are you paying for school?

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
And was it fuckin worth it?Cause today I just figured out that over the next 20 years I'll be paying $63,588 for an Associates Degree in Recording that I don't even use. I make more at my job now than any shitty job reference they(the school) could give me, which has actually been about one since I graduated in december '05. Granted I had a school loan left over from when I was 18/19 and I quit cause I couldn't handle it yet. Well I went back for about four more semesters to finish, and I really wish I hadn't. I couldve got a house!WTF!?!Kids don't go to communications school. Unless you wanna lug around sound equipment for a living, and live with your parent till your 40.

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    28K per year. and it better be.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I've been grappling with this sort of thing recently.

A Bachelor's degree ain't shit anymore for the most part. Grad schools with high job placement rates are so damn expensive though.

Anyone here go to or is a Haas alumni? Anyone go to a top tier business school?

I'd like to pick your brain if I could... PM, thanks.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Damn man, I can't believe you spent that much on a recording degree....that is absurd.

I think I'll end up paying around $16,000 for tuition for 4 years of school at UC Santa Cruz, obviously not including any of the living expenses or other business during that period. (or airfare to study in Brazil, yikes!) Still feels like a lot, I'll end up with around $7,000 in loans when I'm through. I know this is peanuts compared to what some people end up with, but it feels like a lot, especially when school is so much cheaper in other countries.

I have zero interest in going to graduate school anytime soon, if at all.

A family friend of mine went to Haas about two decades ago and was making bank doing consultant work, then left to work at Haas and settle down a bit. I've heard very good things, even if the rest of the campus hates how they run things.

Damn man, I can't believe you spent that much on a recording degree....that is absurd.

I think I'll end up paying around $16,000 for tuition for 4 years of school at UC Santa Cruz, obviously not including any of the living expenses or other business during that period. (or airfare to study in Brazil, yikes!) Still feels like a lot, I'll end up with around $7,000 in loans when I'm through. I know this is peanuts compared to what some people end up with, but it feels like a lot, especially when school is so much cheaper in other countries.

I have zero interest in going to graduate school anytime soon, if at all.

A family friend of mine went to Haas about two decades ago and was making bank doing consultant work, then left to work at Haas and settle down a bit. I've heard very good things, even if the rest of the campus hates how they run things.

I literally had zero interest in grad school too... until i sat for ten hours looking for a job I qualified for in another city in which I could earn enough to increase my standard of living. Yikes.
    What do you mean by that last sentence "the rest of the campus hates how they run things"?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    What do you mean by that last sentence "the rest of the campus hates how they run things"?

The Haas school has opened up some controversial programs that are open to non-students and essentially only profit the business school, not Cal as a whole. They're aimed at people in the workforce looking to up their skills. While it's essentially a good idea, its been handled poorly by the ex-Dean and angered a lot of other faculty and administrators. It wouldn't be Cal though without that kind of drama.

In no way should this impact your choice of school though. Just interesting to know.

ok, gotcha. I don't think anything of campus politics like that- seems to me they would be running it like any other UC Extension program, they just wanted to attach the Haas name to it, increasing the value of whatever training, etc... Not a bad idea, but you're right-
    No decision at Cal would ever be seen as effective or progressive without some group claiming to be asshurt by it.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    tuition was 20-25 grand a year out of state at UVA. i got tons of financial aid in the form of grants and so my loans are basically the same as an in-state student.

grad school for chemistry is free and they pay you.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    The system is currently changing in Germany, but in most of the cases it is still free or almost free to study. In my IR Masters programme I only have to pay the administrative fee of around 250 ??? for half a year. That??s why a couple of Americans also study in my programme.

• The system is currently changing in Germany, but in most of the cases it is still free or almost free to study. In my IR Masters programme I only have to pay the administrative fee of around 250 ??? for half a year. That??s why a couple of Americans also study in my programme.

yep. i only paid for food and a place to live at so far. i will have to pay 750 euros for my next/last semester. it's still a good situation, but the education in germany is horrible. universities over here have NO money. i'm working on ten twelve year-old machines and they are broke all the time. it's currently impossible to learn sth practical. i need to finish my studies!!!

i'm glad though. no fees so far!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    And was it fuckin worth it?

This is a rather interesting piece from the Boston Globe that any of you may find interesting if you are currently employed in a career or are considering grad school:

6 myths about work[/b]
    By Penelope Trunk | June 10, 2007

Each generation revolutionizes something. Today's younger generation is revolutionizing work. The goals people have, their values and opportunities have all changed drastically in the last 10 years. The new workplace demands new rules for success, yet people continue to get outdated advice based on persistent workplace myths.

These myths about today's workplace are adapted from my new book, Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success.

#1. Job hopping ruins your resume.[/b]
    Job hopping is one of the best ways to sustain passion and personal growth in your career. It also helps you build a network quickly and allows you to build your skill set faster than if you worked in the same job year after year. The learning curve is always highest at the beginning.
    And here's some good news for hoppers: Most people will have eight jobs between ages 18 and 32. This means most young workers are job hopping. So hiring managers have no choice but to hire job hoppers. Ride this wave and try a lot of jobs out yourself.

#2. Getting a promotion is good for you.[/b]
    Promotions aren't created with you in mind -- they're created with the company in mind. The company creates a ladder and tells you to climb it. But you need to pick the steps that are right for you. You deserve a customized career, so be wary of all promotions.
    Most people who are good at their nonmanagement jobs won't excel as leaders. It takes a very specific personality type to be better as a leader than as the worker who's actually doing the work. The irony is that people who are conscientious about getting their work done are promoted into leadership positions that don't value conscientiousness so much as being open to new ideas.
    Also, the average salary increase is 4 percent. Is that going to change your life in any meaningful way? Definitely not. This is why the idea of getting a promotion is so last century. Instead, negotiate for training, mentoring, or flex time. These are all things that will really improve your life and your career.

#3. You'll be happier if you have a job you like.[/b]
    The correlation between your happiness and your job is overrated. The most important factors, by far, are your optimism levels and your personal relationships. If you are a pessimist, a great job can't overcome that. (Think of the jerks at the top.) And if you have great friends and family, you can probably be happy even if you hate your job (imagine a garbage collector who's in love).
    So a job could make you unhappy, if it's a terrible job. But when it comes to really being happy, you need solid personal relationships and a job that doesn't interfere with you enjoying them.

#4. The glass ceiling still exists.[/b]
    The glass ceiling is gone, not because women crashed through, but because people are not looking up anymore. Life above the glass ceiling is 100-hour weeks, working for someone else, and no time for friends and family. Life above the glass ceiling is essentially about bribery. The company pays a lot of money in exchange for the employee giving up most of their time. Young people today think their time is worth too much to agree to something like that.
    And it's not only women who are saying no to the ladder: Men are as well. People want to customize success for themselves, not climb someone else's rungs. So if no one is climbing to the top, the glass ceiling isn't keeping anyone down.

#5. Going to grad school open doors.
    Grad school generally makes you less employable, not more. For example, people who get a graduate degree in the humanities would have had a better chance of surviving the Titanic than getting a tenured teaching job.
    And unless you are going to a top business school at the beginning of your career, you should not stop working to get the degree. Go to night school because you will not make up for the loss of income with the extra credential.
    Law school is one of the only graduate degrees that makes you more employable. Unfortunately it makes you more employable in a profession where people are more unhappy. Law school rewards perfectionism, and perfectionism is a risk factor for depression. Lawyers have little control over their work and hours, because they are at the beck and call of clients, and many are constantly working with clients who have problems lawyers cannot solve. These two traits in a job -- lack of control over workload and compromised ability to reach stated goals -- are the two biggest causes for burnout in jobs.[/b]

#6. Work hard and good things will come[/b]
    You'll actually be rewarded only if you're likable. People get hired for their qualifications, but they get promoted because people like working with them. So spend your days trying to figure out what people need and what people want, and how you can help them. Empathy makes you likable.
    The people who don't want to have to deal with kindness will complain. But for most of us, it's a big relief to know that the workplace of the new millennium demands more kindness and respect than ever before. This is a workplace that rewards being nice rather than being a genius. The people who will complain about this situation will feel that the niceness isn't genuine. The people who are genuinely nice will not complain.
    Put yourself in the latter category and be grateful we're living in the new millennium with a new workplace. It's an opportunity for you to shine in your best light and get what you want most for your life.

• Options
    Verizon paid for my tuition, I only had to pay for books. Lots of companies have tuition reimbursement plans, some are better structured than others. Mine doesn't require you to stay with the company after you get a degree, and you can study anything as long as the school is an accredited institution. You don't have to pay them back anything as long as you maintain a minimum C in every class, which wasn't a problem for me I went summa cum laude in finance. I know one guy who got a law degree on the company's dime, then passed the bar and went to work for the UNION's law firm which I felt was pretty raw.

I've been there 11 years now, I can recall some people who came and went and were only here for the tuition benefits.

And unless you are going to a top business school at the beginning of your career
    that's the plan I'm lookin into.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    #3. You'll be happier if you have a job you like.[/b]
    The correlation between your happiness and your job is overrated. The most important factors, by far, are your optimism levels and your personal relationships. If you are a pessimist, a great job can't overcome that. (Think of the jerks at the top.) And if you have great friends and family, you can probably be happy even if you hate your job (imagine a garbage collector who's in love).
    So a job could make you unhappy, if it's a terrible job. But when it comes to really being happy, you need solid personal relationships and a job that doesn't interfere with you enjoying them.

WRONG!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    And unless you are going to a top business school at the beginning of your career

DAMN STRAIGHT

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    $540 a year. University of Iceland. Yes, it was completely worth it.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    My 3 year degree cost me about $3000 down here in OZ but that's cos the government paid for 2 of 3 years for it at the time. The deal is Uni is 'free' but you gotta pay back a % of the fees if your taxable income ever gets above $50k or sumthin - paid off now but it took me a looooooong time to even trigger off a payment. I kinda took it for granted at the time but retrospectively I got a good deal. Lived in abject poverty for those 3 years but now I'm able to make some coin. My single mother raised me and my sister pretty povo but all 3 of us managed uni degrees with very little cash. That's thanks to Bob Hawke - he sent the country broke, but not before I got my little piece of paper.

Somebody (i'm not gonna say Michael Moore) should do a shocking expose on the tertiary education systems of different spots around the world. Seems like in the US you pay for everything upfront but all the consumable shit (food, gas, records etc) is mad cheap whereas we get free healthcare, education etc but pay through the arse for consumables. F'rinstance, I paid $20 for Nation of Millions on cassette BITD. New vinyl here costs ~$35-40, pack of cigarettes is $12, carton of beer $35-40, Petrol is roughly $4/gallon (3 litres you imperial fucks ) But I can get a uni degree and not pay a cent for 10 years on virtually no interest. I used to work in Bone Marrow Transplant - shits cost a quarter million without complications - all gratis. A cat from Seattle got leukemia and somehow hustled into Aus and got treated for free. There was talk of trying to ship him back to the states but it never eventuated.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    It was over $50K maybe 10 years ago. Now you start paying back a proportion of your HECS (High Education Contribution Scheme) from about $30K a year and you pay a higher percentage the more you earn above that.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    under grad was stupid cheap, i went to a state school and had all four years paid for and then some. Just worked on the side, and what my scolarships didnt pay for, my employer covered. Anyways, came out debt free since i worked enough to cover my cost of living.

immediatley after under grad i ended up going to pharmacy school, again to a state school. My first two years where completely paid for, third year i had a little bit of scolarship money left but not enough to roll into the second semester. Anyways, i was paying grad tuition but still fairly cheap (like 3000 a semester). I had to take loans for cost of living (was taking 20+ credit hours a semester compared to 12 in undergrad so way less time to work), fortunatley tallahassee is stupid cheap to live in. Also needed loans for my third and fourth year of pharmacy school of tuition. My fourth year was the most expensive semester cause it was three semesters instead of two, so probably paid close to 10gs in tuition that year.

anyways, definetly worth it financially for me, made a good salary straight out of college. I look at it as an investment.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    It was over $50K maybe 10 years ago.

Class of 95 so yeah, that's about right. What they don't tell you though is if you do another undergraduate degree you gotta pay double uni fees. coughscamcough

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Went to a state school and studied communication design so that already made it cheap and I also managed to pull a scholarship for 1/2 of my tuition for all 4 years. All in all, it cost $4000 per year for four and a half year...coming to $18000.

It was worth it only because it was so cheap and it was also one of the best design schools on the East Coast.

That's a pretty interesting article you posted Damn. Having been in the working world for a few years now, I can't help but agree with most of it, esp. the job hopping part.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I've been grappling with this sort of thing recently.

A Bachelor's degree ain't shit anymore for the most part. Grad schools with high job placement rates are so damn expensive though.

Anyone here go to or is a Haas alumni? Anyone go to a top tier business school?

I'd like to pick your brain if I could... PM, thanks.
    So true about the Bachelor Degree, so the next step for me is my own business!!!

yeah meng. I'm the first college grad in my family, and I had real limited exposure to what was actually available to me while in school for various reasons. Plus, I went to a school w/ a student body of about 25,000, and average class sizes of 200+ in my department-- so there wasn't a lot of direct contact with anyone when it came time for references and job hunt networking. After a couple years in the workforce, I'm coming to the realization that a BA/BS is comparable to a high school education 30 years ago, and a Masters or PhD is the only way to really distinguish yourself without putting in 10+ years with little advancement (at least in my field.)

Damn boomers! Damn doctors keepin boomers alive too long! My competition has been in the workforce for 25+ years! ugh. I try to convince older coworkers to retire early all day to increase my opportunities for upward mobility

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    I got a teaching assistant position that included a tuition waiver and a stipend of a little under $1,100. I also got in on a grant for my thesis work that has given me $1,100/month for the past year.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I paid around $4000 per year: four years undergrad and two years for a masters. This was all in Canada.

I qualified for a decent bursary during grad school that almost covered my graduate school tuition. I entered a low entry-level paying field after graduating two years ago - journalism - and still have student debt. I don't regret going though.

If I was giving advice: I'd push people to really take advantage of paid internships, spend lots of time applying to scholarships, and take work/study jobs (or whatever the local equivalent is - where I went to school this means partially government-funded jobs working on campus. These positions are specifically put aside for people on student loans.) I wish I spent much more time pursuing scholarships though. My counterparts - most from far wealthier backgrounds - knew this more than me.

I'd say our generation has more opportunity than older generations for upward mobility - as example - my brother and I are reputable professionals and my parents are barely high school grads. But our generation has been shortchanged on starting wages. So many late 20 and early 30s professionals that I know in these often-highly respectable jobs are struggling to get by. I mean, I know graduates who took on unpaid internships to work at "respectable" magazines.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    ok, gotcha. I don't think anything of campus politics like that- seems to me they would be running it like any other UC Extension program, they just wanted to attach the Haas name to it, increasing the value of whatever training, etc... Not a bad idea, but you're right-
    No decision at Cal would ever be seen as effective or progressive without some group claiming to be asshurt by it.

Ha - true but that doesn't mean all beefs are illegitimate either. No matter what though, you can't expect the business school at BERKELEY to attract much love from the rest of campus. Will never happen.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    For example, people who get a graduate degree in the humanities would have had a better chance of surviving the Titanic than getting a tenured teaching job.

I'm inclined to call bullshit on this. I think the chances of getting a tenured teaching job is SLIGHTLY better than surviving the Titanic (just not by much).

Also, the idea that the "glass ceiling is gone" b/c less people want to make it up there is kind of utter nonsense. It suggests that barriers to promotion are somehow gone; an idea that flies in the face of what info is out there about discrimination in the workplace.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I recently graduated with a B.S. and about 17K of debt total for about 4.5 years at a university
    I landed a job right before I graduated, my last semester was part time.
    I think with my current salary, If I budgeted right, I could pay off all of the 17K in a year or so, but I am not going to do that.
    I wish to have some fun with my money right now.
    my current employer will be paying for graduate school and I should be starting part time next January.
    Promotions are OK but where I work, they really do seem like an excuse for the company to work you 80 Hours a week.
    Fuck that, i got a family

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I paid around $4000 per year: four years undergrad and two years for a masters. This was all in Canada.

I qualified for a decent bursary during grad school that almost covered my graduate school tuition. I entered a low entry-level paying field after graduating two years ago - journalism - and still have student debt. I don't regret going though.

If I was giving advice: I'd push people to really take advantage of paid internships, spend lots of time applying to scholarships, and take work/study jobs (or whatever the local equivalent is - where I went to school this means partially government-funded jobs working on campus. These positions are specifically put aside for people on student loans.) I wish I spent much more time pursuing scholarships though. My counterparts - most from far wealthier backgrounds - knew this more than me.

I'd say our generation has more opportunity than older generations for upward mobility - as example - my brother and I are reputable professionals and my parents are barely high school grads. But our generation has been shortchanged on starting wages. So many late 20 and early 30s professionals that I know in these often-highly respectable jobs are struggling to get by. I mean, I know graduates who took on unpaid internships to work at "respectable" magazines.

Hey,

To respond to your point about starting wages, I know of many finishing students who are CLUELESS about the relative aspect of job search. That is, they are so egocentric that they don't realize that getting a BA (or BS) degree alone does not guarantee success in the job market. The key is to understand the competitive nature of job search, and students who STAND OUT are going to get the great salaries and perqs. Marginal ones will have to settle for what they can get.

Another issue in job search is that applicants must DO THEIR HOMEWORK. You need to do some research to find out what the "going wage" is in your field (see the Occupational Network ONET Website, salary.com, etc.), place a value on yourself commensurate with your talents/skills, etc., and determine an acceptable wage. Failure to acquire this information could result in a substandard salary, but remember, it's not the payroll department's job to make you rich. Also, at the job offer stage, you need to negotiate. Now, the success of this process will depend on your competitiveness in the job market. If you're highly sought-after, you are more likely to negotiate successfully. It all goes back to how well you performed academically, what practical experiences you culminated while in school (e.g., internships, prior jobs, etc.), and how socially adept your are during the interview process. Great grades and experience won't make up for the fact that come across like a dickhead and people don't want to work with you. So many of my students present themselves like incompetent nimrods, chocked with poor communication and social skills. Then, they wonder why they can't find a job. At the end of the day, success in the job market depends on the extent of human capital (i.e., talent, skills, knowledge, etc.) you have built up over those 4+ years of college, and whether you can present yourself competently.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Couple thoughts -

Though many graduates - which includes most people around me - are clueless at how to enter the workforce, I imagine that last generation's entry-level workers were just as poorly prepared.

Buying a home before 35 is very difficult and out of the question for most working professionals that I know. My parents - both low wage earners - bought a home quite comfortably as recent immigrants while they were in their late 20s. Comparatively speaking today's generation makes less real wages (money after adjusting for inflation) than their parent's generation. Though knowing that won't help young graduates, those are the more realistic expectations.

There was a flurry of fair talk about this during the last few years. For others - I expect Stacks knows this - this is a WSJ story on the studies that the Brookings Institution and Pew Charitable Trusts released.

Ha - true but that doesn't mean all beefs are illegitimate either. No matter what though, you can't expect the business school at BERKELEY to attract much love from the rest of campus. Will never happen.
    I would never expect Cal to be in love with its own business school- although from what I understand, some of the economists over there relish in the attention, albeit negative.