LIVE FREE (OR DIE HARD)

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    ok just so you're not disappointed, here is a picture of Beach Bruce in a sarong

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I just got done watching this review when you posted this thread

http://www.spill.com/reviews/live-free-or-die-hard/

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    this movie is on some Republican schiit right (like the one Bruce Willis)?

I am down to peep it. The first two were certified CLASSIC.

I like Bruce (no Adventures of Hudson Homo).

plus I like the idea that he's like the only Republican in all of Hollywood.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I saw the preview for this at the movies a couple weeks ago. I was like "you've gotta be fucking kidding me". And the spastic kid from that horrible TV show "Ed" to boot.

• I wish it was rated "R".

Still, car taking out helicopter is kinda

• JimBeam saw this last night, plaese to write your movie review!

the little fluffy white one in the middle looks mad uncomfortable.

what is that one doing amidst all those pits and rotts?

someone help her/him.

kevin smith plays a hacker in it and he rewrote all the scenes with him in it

i think the costume designer did a great job with the hacker outfit

this guy just sucks.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Bruce is wicked. Straight up good guy.

From the stuff I read of when he showed up on the Ain't it cool board

I got even more respect for him.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I don't know shit about his politics but when I met him back in 1997 he was straight up and down a cool ass dude. He was chilling at this lounge I was spinning at and came up to tell me that he was digging what I was playing. 30 minutes later he came up and requested Schoolly D. I shit you not.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm sure he's a cool guy and all, but this movie looks like a huge pile of shit and a last ditch attempt at a paycheck.

Same with Rambo 9 "Let's Behead Some Foreigners"

and "Raiders of the Lost Depends"

Maybe I'm wrong though. I would just rather they leave the memory of the OG movies intact instead of cashing it in for a quick buck.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    only b/c p**l asked:
    on the water temperature scale, this film gets a TEPID.
    However, I was going into the experience a pint of my namesake into it, with a flask on hand for the buzz maintenance, a bag of sunflower seeds and an ogre of a companion (he's a computer programmer, more on that later.)
    Upon my arrival, I noticed lots of lonely looking Marines scattered about a mostly empty theater, and a rowdy group of vietnamese kids, and some stoned teenagers (that at one point yelled "PUT IT IN HER MOUTH!" during one of the combat scenes,) and a group of college age girls that must have been there observing 'male behavior during inane action films'.
    The film did not waste any time, thankfully, because it started ten minutes late due to projector malfunction. By "it didn't waste any time" I mean: the film gave no premise for anything that was happening at all until about 1.5 hours into the film. Why did Bruce Willis' daughter hate him? Is she a little pig like Baldwin's? When did the character start working NYPD? Why are there no ethnic minorities in NYC, unless they work for the FBI?

The pitch must have been: Suddenly, people start shooting at each other, and clear divisions between good and evil are drawn based upon clothing worn, and availability of things like body armor, computer devices that don't exist, and size of guns.

The best thing about the onslaught of non-stop action had to be the sound, which is really well done in the film. The worst thing, which turned into the second best thing was the fact that nobody involved in writing the script had ever used a computer in their entire life. Seriously. The terminology employed to make the audience go: "ooooooh! technical!" was either absolutely archaic, or completely non-sensical. (For example: chief bad-guy telling underling bad-guy "UPLOAD THE DOWNLOADS, NOW!" or "THIS THING IS CRASHING- MAKE SURE TO UPLOAD THE FINANCIAL INFORMATION (by this, he meant THE FINANCIAL INFORMATION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-- EVERYONE.) ON THE PORTABLE HARD DRIVE!" (yes, singular hard drive.) This made the computer programming ogre, who was at this point, soaked in whiskey absolutely giddy with laughter, which was good, knowing that no villagers would be stomped for the evening.
    Entertaining, easily forgettable (I think I've forgotten most of it already), Kevin Smith sucked ass, (edit: Maggie Q.: ) and recommended that if you see it, do so drunk.
    It was exactly what I expected.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    The first two were certified CLASSIC.

I was feeling the third one, maybe just a new york thing, plus sam doing his shtick before it got played out? No?

I've heard nearly unanimously positive things about the new one, pretty rare these days....

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    is this film a response to the new rocky film?

Kevin Smith sucked ass

please tell me more. i think it's funny and so typical that he insisted that he rewrite his own scenes. bruce willis lobbied for it so hard that when the studio guys were discussing the rewritten kevin smith scenes, willis said "let me ask, who is your 2nd choice to play John McClane?"

insert walk away son taxidermy monkey graemlin here

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Kevin Smith sucked ass

please tell me more. i think it's funny and so typical that he insisted that he rewrite his own scenes. bruce willis lobbied for it so hard that when the studio guys were discussing the rewritten kevin smith scenes, willis said "let me ask, who is your 2nd choice to play John McClane?"

insert walk away son taxidermy monkey graemlin here
    That is pretty funny.
    As far as Smith being sucky-
    He played a hacker named "Warlock" and explained his possession of a CB radio as a way to communicate after the internet induced apocalypse. His character was a stab at being "ironic, but in a manner that middle america can grasp" and was just cartoonish.

Plus, the scenes involving him had some obvious editing back and forth over the script-- not as "smart" as Smith usually is/tries to be.

It's fun though, bring some (by this, i mean "lots of") booze and some folks and go see it.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    he's pretty good as silent bob.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    he's pretty good as silent bob.

zing!

• Same with Rambo 9 "Let's Behead Some Foreigners"

I'm no Rambo mark, but that new one looks sick. Like violent and gory and on some 70s exploitation shit. He made it himself and got foreign financing. I'm *hyped*.

And besides, they ain't even up to "5" yet.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Same with Rambo 9 "Let's Behead Some Foreigners"

I'm no Rambo mark, but that new one looks sick. Like violent and gory and on some 70s exploitation shit.

man, start watching at the 1:20 minute mark

• I can't see that shit but is it the same trailer going around where it shows him behead a dude and then unload into this other dude w/ a gatling gun? If so, yeah, that's what's got me hyped. Plus the evisceration. Plus the exploding arrow trick.

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    My dad and I are going to see this tonight. I have low expectations, but I'm always down for mindless shoot-em-ups. The thing I don't understand about him is that he is always is so hyped to see updates/remakes/sequels of classics, thinking they are going to be just as good as the original; only to be let down time and time again after the fact. I mean, this is a man who is a movie fanatic and raised me from a young age on everything from the classics to TV movies to the old drive in stuff to the semi-obscure (watching and talking about films was always the way how we bonded) and to this day, he still hasn't learned the #1 movie rule-of-thumb. He dragged me to see so many updated crapfests like Sgt. Bilko, Car 54, Where Are You?, Terminator 3...the list goes on. I love my pops, but he never learns.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    only b/c p**l asked:

The best thing about the onslaught of non-stop action had to be the sound, which is really well done in the film. The worst thing, which turned into the second best thing was the fact that nobody involved in writing the script had ever used a computer in their entire life. Seriously. The terminology employed to make the audience go: "ooooooh! technical!" was either absolutely archaic, or completely non-sensical. (For example: chief bad-guy telling underling bad-guy "UPLOAD THE DOWNLOADS, NOW!" or "THIS THING IS CRASHING- MAKE SURE TO UPLOAD THE FINANCIAL INFORMATION (by this, he meant THE FINANCIAL INFORMATION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-- EVERYONE.) ON THE PORTABLE HARD DRIVE!" (yes, singular hard drive.) This made the computer programming ogre, who was at this point, soaked in whiskey absolutely giddy with laughter, which was good, knowing that no villagers would be stomped for the evening.
    Entertaining, easily forgettable (I think I've forgotten most of it already), Kevin Smith sucked ass, (edit: Maggie Q.: ) and recommended that if you see it, do so drunk.
    It was exactly what I expected.

(possible spoilers)

Ha, you are so on point with this. I must say I did feel like a big nerd though as my friend and I (who used to work at Dell together) but got a huge guffaw at that bit about downloading the nations financial data on to the portable hard drive.

I like how they took the hacking/typing to the next level.. seriously no one is even attempting to type real words as though the director said, "Randomly hit as many keys as fast as you can... you'll look more like a super hacker that way". It seemed like Kevin Smith was actually trying to be funny with it and make it WAY over the top faux fast typing.

I had my expectations set pretty low going in.. so low that I had figured on taking my own life before it was over. When that didn't happen I was forced to give the movie a thumbs up.

Really funny if you do know much about computers at all. Like the world's greatest hacker 'Warlock' would make no attempts to cloak his IP address before hacking in to Greenlawn's computer.. DUH.

And there was a line about retrieving hard drives from the hacker's house they blew up.. with a bomb.. that was inside his computer. Not sure how or what they point would be of hard drive retrieval after they blew it up.