What do you do if... (wtf related)

ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
What do you do if.. ...a couple you know decides to cryogenically freeze themselves? I'll let you soak that in for a minute.No bullshit, this is completely serious. They have paid a company to freeze them for political and social reasons. What the fuck do you say to something like this?

Comments

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    something along the lines of

at least it would make a good story.
    how much does it cost to get frozen these days?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What do you do if..

...a couple you know decides to cryogenically freeze themselves?

I'll let you soak that in for a minute.

No bullshit, this is completely serious. They have paid a company to freeze them for political and social reasons. What the fuck do you say to something like this?

Political reasons?

"I want to be frozen until Bush is out of office."

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    What do you do if..

No bullshit, this is completely serious. They have paid a company to freeze them for political and social reasons. What the fuck do you say to something like this?

Political reasons?

"I want to be frozen until Bush is out of office."

I think this is a little longer-term..

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

how much does it cost to get frozen these days?

Around $28,000.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    they have to die first right?

otherwise, tell them you'll do it for $14,000.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    What the fuck do you say to something like this?

"You guys do know that if I run out of ice in my cocktail, I'm coming to you first, right?"

• Options
    What do you do if..

I imagine a simple "Best of luck, I'll hold your records until you thaw" will do.

• Options

Then freeze them in an incredibly uncomfortable position.

• they have to die first right?

Your serious with that question, that is scary.

If you froze someone alive.. that's illegal. cryogenics = freezing the body after death.

Then freeze them in an incredibly uncomfortable position.

totally, they could probably both fit in here.

think of all the records you could buy with the profit.

If you froze someone alive.. that's illegal. cryogenics = freezing the body after death.

but why would you want to freeze yourself for political reasons after your dead? What would really be funny, is if they froze themselves for political reasons, and when they got thawed out like 100 years from now, the U.S. was a religious caliphate and they got their heads cut off.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    cryogenics = freezing the body after death.

Wikipedia:
    Cryonics[/b] is the low temperature preservation of humans and other animals that can no longer be sustained by contemporary medicine until resuscitation may be possible in the future.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

but why would you want to freeze yourself for political reasons after your dead? What would really be funny, is if they froze themselves for political reasons, and when they got thawed out like 100 years from now, the U.S. was a religious caliphate and they got their heads cut off.

That was actually pretty funny.

• cryogenics = freezing the body after death.

Wikipedia:
    Cryonics[/b] is the low temperature preservation of humans and other animals that can no longer be sustained by contemporary medicine until resuscitation may be possible in the future.

To date, as many as 40 people have had their bods frozen after death in hopes that new technology would someday be able to restore them to health. The first was James Bedford, a 73-year-old psychologist from Glendale, California, who got the Big Chill in 1967--not long after Disney's demise, interestingly. Many of the 40 were thawed after their estates ran out of money; allegedly only 11 are still in "cryonic suspension," as it's called. The chances that they will ever be revived successfully are slim. Currently there is no known way to freeze an entire body and revive it. The problem is twofold: when the body is frozen, ice crystals form in the cells and destroy them; and when it's thawed, whatever cells are left die for lack of oxygen and nutrients.

Still, science has made mighty strides in this field of late, and eventually--well, who knows? For the last ten years or so animal husbandry experts have been freezing cow embryos for later implantation. In 1983 Australian doctors froze a human embryo, then thawed it and implanted it in a woman's womb, resulting in an otherwise normal pregnancy; the procedure has since become fairly common. There's also a brisk business today in frozen body parts for use in transplants. An antifreeze like dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) is used to prevent ice crystals from forming. Right now body-part freezing is mostly confined to durable items like bones and arteries, but some predict they'll be transplanting frozen hearts in ten years.

Given the relatively primitive state of the art, is it worth spending on average $80,000 to get yourself frozen? I doubt it, but cryonics advocates disagree. "We're preserving information, the genetic code carried in the DNA and the memories and personality imprinted in the weave of macromolecules in the brain," says Arthur Quaife, president of Trans Time, a cryonics outfit based in Oakland, California. He admits reviving people isn't going to be easy. "It's going to require more sophisticated techniques than simply warming people up. There's going to have to be a significant amount of reconstruction." Just in case you had the idea this was going to be a case of heat 'n' serve.

That was actually pretty funny.

in an itchy and scratchy kind of way.