Sam Cooke "Night Beat"

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I'm having one of those "goddamnn...." moments listening to Sam Cooke's Night Beat right now. Anybody like this album?

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I'm having one of those "goddamnn...." moments listening to Sam Cooke's Night Beat right now. Anybody like this album?

so good.
    Dude is one of my favorite singers.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this album is incredible

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

A top ten for me. Lost and Lookin' breaks my heart everytime.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    This album is fuckin' raw. Bump.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I think I prefer "Mr. Soul" since it has "Smoke Rings", "Cry Me a River", etc...but WTF...dude's the GOAT and I celebrate his entire catalog.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    dude's the GOAT and I celebrate his entire catalog.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    and every time there's a Sam thread I have to post this, because it's the est thing ever:

Shit was always like this in Memphis. The last time he had been in town, they had run out of gas, and he had sent Charlie to get some. While he was waiting for Charles to come back, a white policeman pulled up and told him to move the car. Sam explained the situation, but the policeman had no interest. "Well, push it, then," he said. Sam drew himself up to his full height. He was a singer, he told the policeman. His name was Sam Cooke, and he didn't push cars. If Frank Sinatra was there, he said, "you wouldn't ask him to push no car." Charles was back by now, trying to get his brother's attention, but Sam just shook him off. If it was all that important, he suggested to the policeman, "You push the fucking car. You may not know who I am," he said, "but your wife does. Go home and ask your wife about me." [/b]

• ^^^^^^^^^^ that's the blueprint of soul right there.