What should I do? (ebay / KKK related)

BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Did I get your attention? Ok. So I posted this record on ebay: With this title: Johnny Rebel - Kajun Ku Klux Klan - RACIST 7" -- and a description making it abundantly clear that I consider Johnny Rebel and his record to be trash, albeit trash that should be preserved so people know what's up, just not by me.I got a bid almost instantly, then another, and then less than 24 hours after this went up, a VERO notice from ebay. I'm not going to post the whole thing but here is the gist of it:We would like to let you know that we removed your listing: 4741030368 Johnny Rebel / Kajun Ku Klux Klan / rare RACIST 50s 7" because a copyright rights owner notified us, under penalty of perjury, that your listing offers an unauthorized copy of copyrighted material.If you relist this or any other similar items on eBay, your account likely will be suspended. If you believe your listing was ended in error, or have questions regarding the removal of this listing, please contact the copyright rights owner directly at:Johnny Rebel Records [email]johnnyrebelrecords@hotmail.com[/email]eBay is available to answer questions, but since it is the copyright rights owner that requested the removal of your listings, we encourage you to contact them first. For more information on the VeRO Program, and a list of rights owner About Me pages, please visit:http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/vero-removed-listing.htmlhttp://pages.ebay.com/help/community/vero-aboutme.htmlMOTHERFUCKER! This is the second time in the last six months I've had an auction ended by an "artist" for no other reason than the fact that they don't like seeing their own record being sold. (The first was Wendy Carlos, who is offended by the fact that "The Story of Tron" is based on third generation tapes of her music.)Arguing with ebay about this does absolutely no good. As you already know if you sell and you've ever had a problem, their computer doesn't give a shit about your problem. But out of general principle I want to deal with this fucker. Any suggestions?Here is an in depth article about Johnny Rebel. 3/4s of the way down it certainly suggests that someone else may have been behind the auction being ended... I guess I'm just gonna have to just drop it, but I would like everyone to commiserate or something. Anyone else have a similar experience? Or if you'd like to criticize me for trying to sell the record in the first place, go ahead and do that.

Comments

• that article is too ong for me to read right now... who do you think is behind ending your auction (if you had to guess?)... [email]Johnnyrebelrecords@hotmail.com[/email] just seems a bit fake, doesn't it?

Why don't you donate the record to some anti-racist organization... you can perhaps use it as a tax write-off (if you really need to make money off of it)?

• post some audio...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yeah, this sucks. It's happened to me 3 times in the last year. All stuff that IMO shouldn't be all that touchy, ya know? Like 30 year old records as opposed to, "yo, I stole XXXXXX's master tapes from the studio & am eBaying CD's before the record comes out!"

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    post some audio...

Why?

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    It's more than a little shocking even if you've heard it before, sort of like watching snuff footage: What it is is almost less shocking than the fact that it exists in the first place.

I think I won't post audio on this.

• destroy the record

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I had no idea an artist could stop you from selling the record? Are you sure they can do that? If you purcahsed the 45 (in theory) you now own it. It would be like Mattel saying you can't sell a used toy. I don't even think Ebay can stop you. It seems to me the reason you got de-listed is because they are under the assumption you're selling a bootleg which you're not. The word "unauthorized" is what they used which is wrong. I think you can demand your listing fee back, and if not complain.

Ebay can get my balls. I contacted them numerous times because someone was selling something I owned the copywrite to. You think they even responded to my e-mail? Fuck those bastards. Really... I can't wait for someone to sue the shit out of them and knock them around a bit

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Ebay can get my balls.
    Ebay can get my balls.
    Ebay can get my balls.
    Ebay can get my balls.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    they do give you your listing fee back, which is nice of them, I guess. But, even if they can't rightfully yank stuff, they do. I don't think anything can be done about it. They will yank anything that someone complains about, or so it would seem...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Anyone want my copy of "George Wallace, A True American Hero" 7"?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    frankly i don't care whether the Johnny Rebel 45 goes for a bit of cash or not. why buy it in the first place? why make profit on racist klan memorabilia. i know guys that comb auctions along river rd. buying old documents re: slave trade and transactions- sell them for money. i'm sorry but i think it's fucked up- profit incentive on historical documents of human suffering. perhaps not quite as bad with a racist kkk 45 but regardless...

funny thing is the studio that sold, recorded, and distributed that Rebel 45's also put out quite a bit of soul, funk, and r&b by black artists. also recorded lots of zydeco which is also traditional black music from SW Louisiana. i've been to the studio and dealt with those guys... i've seen the rebel 45's in their own section and couldn't help but cringe.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

cosmo-

is that a dancing dreidel?

this is a good post for a dancing dreidel.

I had no idea an artist could stop you from selling the record? Are you sure they can do that? If you purcahsed the 45 (in theory) you now own it. It would be like Mattel saying you can't sell a used toy.

Or Microsoft saying you can't sell, loan or use a second time, a program you bought from them.

I don't even think Ebay can stop you.

They did.

It seems to me the reason you got de-listed is because they are under the assumption you're selling a bootleg which you're not. The word "unauthorized" is what they used which is wrong.

His problem is that it is next to impossible to get ebay to hear you say that.

Try relisting it as an authorized copy? Use Authorized as many times as you can in your listing. "This is an original AUTHORIZED copy of... Released in 1967 this AUTHORIZED copy...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Not that I would give 2 shits about these type of recordings.. But I think someone is fucking with you.

Hotmail account??? Right... And just a little look on google shows that the JOHNNY REBEL rights were bought in 2004 by Resistance Records. Fuck them... I would push for proof of it being "an unauthorized copy of copyrighted material". I bet it was probably someone who thought u were a racist and thought of the way to stop u from posting it.

But yeah... burn that shit. You'll feel better afterwards...

One second thought.. Don't burn it.. Donate it somewhere it can be used as a teaching tool about fucked up history.. People need to know what time it is...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

cosmo-

Yeah Ari, it's a photo of my homegirl Dorothy Moskowitz as a dancing dreidel. Truly great.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Aleit -- I've been waiting for your word on this since it's from your neck of the woods...

R--h from Texas said those records are "everywhere" in the south. That astonishes me. Of course I had to buy it on my road trip since I'd never seen anything like it before. I got it in OK city by the way.

As for selling it, I'm not going to sit here and defend it. (Well maybe just a little.) If I made a habit out of trading in Johnny Rebel records that would be a definite problem. Basically I had two choices, sell it or chuck it. I'm poor as fuck right now. I wrote an ad specifically designed to insult anyone who would buy it out of some sort of fondness for the record's sentiment, so I guess my attitude what's wrong with taking those fuckers' money if they are stupid enough to give it to me?

Maybe we could do a ritual burning at the record nerd thing in San Diego this weekend?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

cosmo-

Yeah Ari, it's a photo of my homegirl Dorothy Moskowitz as a dancing dreidel. Truly great.

authorized copy?

haven't forgotten about you, reciprocity takes time but i believe in it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    frankly i don't care whether the Johnny Rebel 45 goes for a bit of cash or not. why buy it in the first place? why make profit on racist klan memorabilia.

I have to agree here. It's one thing to collect this shit if you're serious about archiving memorabilia for the intent on education, but to buy and sell for profit is kind of the pits, no offense BeardedD. It reminds me of the old coot just outside of Philly who sells Nazi memorabilia at Quaker City. He has a sign up that says something to the degree of "What I sell doesn't reflect my personal philosophy." But I always have to question why dude feels it's okay to sell that shit for personal profit? You're profiting off of a legacy of misery.

As for my George Wallace 45 (I forget the name of the "artist) - it was found in a stack of 45s that I got in North Philly about 2 years ago, which was really odd to me considering it was in a pile of "modern soul" and "private press regional hip-hop" records. I have it around here somewhere, or maybe at my mom's crib, but I should break it out and try to do something with it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

authorized copy?

haven't forgotten about you, reciprocity takes time but i believe in it.

I'm good friends with Country Joe's son, and this is on his web-page. When you click on it, it plays "Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel"

And yo doggie, no stress! I'm chilling in the cut. Whatever and whenever, you know how I get down.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Aleit -- I've been waiting for your word on this since it's from your neck of the woods...

R--h from Texas said those records are "everywhere" in the south. That astonishes me. Of course I had to buy it on my road trip since I'd never seen anything like it before. I got it in OK city by the way.

As for selling it, I'm not going to sit here and defend it. (Well maybe just a little.) If I made a habit out of trading in Johnny Rebel records that would be a definite problem. Basically I had two choices, sell it or chuck it. I'm poor as fuck right now. I wrote an ad specifically designed to insult anyone who would buy it out of some sort of fondness for the record's sentiment, so I guess my attitude what's wrong with taking those fuckers' money if they are stupid enough to give it to me?

Maybe we could do a ritual burning at the record nerd thing in San Diego this weekend?

not trying to come at you from an ethical higher-ground on this. i think the majority of people that buy Johnny Rebel 45s are not necessarily buying it b/c the record's sentiment appeals to them. it is the disconnect that happens in the fetishization of the object- the original meaning may be lost in this fetishization itself, it becomes a KKK related 45 that is valuable as a KKK collectible 45, thus stripping and diminishing its original intent. It's problematic. Things are still symbols, can't forget their meanings, relationships, messages- even if it's 40 years after the fact and a bunch of liberal-minded record weird-ohs are sitting around chuckling over johnny rebel. the fact is dudes were being lynched a block away.

but i'll come off as lunch digests and i return to work.

BeardedD, respond to the PM i sent this morning... wondering if ID was correct.

I would bid on dancing dreidel 45's though.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I should break it out and try to do something with it.

White pride mash up in effect?

I'm against burning records. Kinda thing the KKK use to do.

I try to pass over openly racist records and anything with nazi overtones. I do pick up right wing religous conspiracy records. I had this one called the Communazi or something like that about how the civil rights and anti-war movements are communist/nazi plots. I got it home and thought what am I doing with this? I put it out for sale and the damn thing sat around for a couple of years.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

Now THERE's the next ironic hipster move!

"for my next project I'm going to mash up some skrewdriver with like, southern rap or something"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

"for my next project I'm going to mash up some skrewdriver with like, southern rap or something"

Unfortunately (IMO) this is a little too fucking close to the truth as it is.

Please do not get me started.

• I should break it out and try to do something with it.

Put some chuck d or dead prez vocals over it.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Yes, I do...So that I can wipe my ass with it.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

dude you're so 2K2-2K4 right now

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I wouldn't feel too comfortable selling it, it's like the time I had to sell a Skrewdriver LP on eBay for my job, and the guy who won it had an e-mail like "lynching-tree-1963@yahoo.com" or some shit, he had some aryan nation bullshit sig to all his e-mails, and I was like, "wow, I'm profiting from someone's spreading of hate - I feel like shit!"

Just as it's possible someone would buy the Johnny Rebel 45 as an anti-racist teaching tool, it's far more likely some white power cheesedick who thinks it's the funniest thing he's ever heard will be the one to outbid everybody, so he can play it and get all primed up while he beats off to photos of David Duke.

Not saying your an as*hole if you choose to sell it, just warning you that you may end up feeling kind of lousy, and corresponding with Nazi fucks that you would just as soon not have contact with.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Here's another scenario for you guys:

My friends and I have shopped at old-school 45 shoppes that managed to stick around all these years, looking for mostly old soul records of course... the proprietors of these stores are often openly racist and definitely appreciate the Johnny Rebel records more than what we bought off them (and in fact they consider their records far more 'valuable' than the stuff we were buying)... are we now somehow tainted by giving money to these bastards?

Just wanted to throw this out there...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I wouldn't feel too comfortable selling it, it's like the time I had to sell a Skrewdriver LP on eBay for my job, and the guy who won it had an e-mail like "lynching-tree-1963@yahoo.com" or some shit, he had some aryan nation bullshit sig to all his e-mails, and I was like, "wow, I'm profiting from someone's spreading of hate - I feel like shit!"

Just as it's possible someone would buy the Johnny Rebel 45 as an anti-racist teaching tool, it's far more likely some white power cheesedick who thinks it's the funniest thing he's ever heard will be the one to outbid everybody, so he can play it and get all primed up while he beats off to photos of David Duke.

Not saying your an as*hole if you choose to sell it, just warning you that you may end up feeling kind of lousy, and corresponding with Nazi fucks that you would just as soon not have contact with.

Yo,

Sell the record to one of these crazy racist dudes for $$$. Just make sure you break it good before putting it in a mailer.