Bay Area Appreciation Redux

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Moving the fam to LA was a good look on a few different levels but man, coming back to the Bay, cresting out of the Caldecott or out of the Marin Headlands and seeing the view? I miss this place, no lie.

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Agreed. Nothing makes you miss the bay like going back for a bit.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Word. There are very few places in the world I'd leave the Bay for. And I'm sure I'd still miss it.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Yes, a truly beautiful place. I miss hopping on the BART and catching a trip to the Berkeley flea.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    my favorite place.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    indeed. i work on yerba buena island and i'm seriously in awe ury time i go home. this city is fraesh!!

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    i too moved back to la after school, and i also miss the bay. i'd love to move back, but i lack the funds and live at my rents =(.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    living in Davis 2003-2006, everytime I would go home on I-80 (about once a month) and come out of the treasure island tunnel and see downtown. man I got a special feeling . no lie. I luurrrv this town.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I gotta admit the Bay is pretty dope.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

having grown up there, philly is for me, no disrespect to the philly heads. i can't wait until i move back to the Bay. lovely place.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I miss the access to both the beach and mountains within such a short distance from each other and all of the camping opportunities such a terrain presents.

I miss the more plentiful weed.

I miss many of the restaurants.

I miss direct contact with Bay rap.

I miss all of the pro sports teams.

I miss some good friends.

Haven't been back since I moved away in '02, but it looks like this Fall that may change.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Word. There are very few places in the world I'd leave the Bay for. And I'm sure I'd still miss it.

Exactly. It isn't always easy to live out here, but man is it ever worth it.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I love it out here for sure although I gotta get my ass back up to SF. Been looking into condos in my old neighborhood Potrero Hill. As far as the city goes, they're pretty reasonable. We shall see

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Revision: no love for contra costa (in general) and how lame the Caldecott Tunnel is in terms of bottlenecking traffic. One accident and the whole thing is fucked. Yes, I'm mad sitting in traffic, doggie.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Revision: no love for contra costa (in general) and how lame the Caldecott Tunnel is in terms of bottlenecking traffic. One accident and the whole thing is fucked. Yes, I'm mad sitting in traffic, doggie.

Live in SF. Work in Berkeley. The reverse commute is golden. The only problem is coming home on Friday when the train is packed with clubbing bridge and tunnel crowds.

no love for contra costa

Yeah I am tired of these dudes in Walnut Creek and such thinking they are part of the East Bay, because this is clearly a joke. They are lucky to be part of the bay in the first place. Square-ass conservative commuter suburb shit.

Being back this summer has made me realize how damn spoiled we are in the Bay Area, and by that I mean Oakland through Albany, plus SF and Marin county. I don't really fuck with the rest of it. I mean there are a dozen amazing foodspots and restaurants within walking distance from my house. There are more garage sales with records than I can possibly make it to. Public transportation is damn good (MUNI excepted). There is a good concert to see almost every night in SF. The weather is never too harsh either hot or cold. There are parks everywhere. Seriously, what more could I ask for?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I gotta admit the Bay is pretty dope.

• plkbrynplkbryn 159 Posts
    Seriously, what more could I ask for?

maybe some record stores (other than gm) that weren't totally picked over?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

For what it's worth - and as a Bay Area native, one day hoping to return, it's worth a lot - I couldn't imagine opening a rival shop to GM in the Bay. I could maaayyybe see doing something in Oakland, but there's not enough of a customer base. Most things would end up on ebay, and if that's the case, then what's the point of opening a shop?

For what it's worth - and as a Bay Area native, one day hoping to return, it's worth a lot - I couldn't imagine opening a rival shop to GM in the Bay. I could maaayyybe see doing something in Oakland, but there's not enough of a customer base. Most things would end up on ebay, and if that's the case, then what's the point of opening a shop?

i don't know, i've always thought that the market could bear a specialized shop in the east bay -- saturn and mod lang, although not on the same level as gm or your shop, seem to do well enough.

• Seriously, what more could I ask for?

i don't know, i've always thought that the market could bear a specialized shop in the east bay -- saturn and mod lang, although not on the same level as gm or your shop, seem to do well enough.

saturn does weel enough by selling all their good ish on ebay.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

i think your shop is different enough from GM that you could make it work. and i think even Berkeley is a possibility ??? FUnky Riddms had the right idea, but there were a number of problems with his shop which is why it didn't work.

Honestly though, if you are not finding records in the Bay Area you are not trying though.

Honestly though, if you are not finding records in the Bay Area you are not trying though.

in the couple of weeks, i've gone to handful of garage sales, both amoebas, saturn, mod lang, down home, 101 records, the thrifts on san pablo ave, and groove merchant. that resulted in less than 10 records, most from gm.

edit: i should add that i went to dallas recently and found some good stuff, only hitting a couple of record stores. all i'm saying is that there's a lot more competition out here.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

in the couple of weeks, i've gone to handful of garage sales, both amoebas, saturn, mod lang, down home, 101 records, the thrifts on san pablo ave, and groove merchant. that resulted in less than 10 records, most from gm.

you win some you lose some. you can walk away from either amoebas with a stack full of heat for relatively cheap.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    the only place i ever felt "normal"

i miss u family!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I gotta stick up a bit for Contra Costa...lived in Lafayette for a couple of years and it was cool. Previously we stayed in Berkeley and needed a bigger space. When it was time to move, either we rent an overpriced shithole in Berkeley/Oakland...or we rent a really nice spot in Lafayette with a great view of Mount Diablo. The Reservoir was cool. There was a BART stop near us. There was an amazing Texas barbeque spot right down the street. So much less quiet in general...damn, that was needed after 3 years navigating the gauntlet of Berkeley. Sometimes a step back is step forward.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Lafayette

IS THIS WHERE I SHOULD GO TO GET THE REAL RAP EXPERIENCE?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

DUH:

There was an amazing Texas barbeque spot right down the street

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Lafayette

haha! moded!

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    born and raised in the bay...love this place