BUDDAH RECORDS

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
yes... many common recs on this label for sho but good ones too, i was listning to the love from the sun album which is one of the good ones, so im thinking are there still buddahs out there in the field i havent unearthed, after several years of diggin youd think youve discovered most everything worth while on a label like buddah...so whats up, anybody with raer buddahs? also whats your fav ones?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I did a Buddah appreciation thread a year or two ago, so I understand where you're coming from...here's my top 10 fave Buddah (and subsidiaries) records off the top of my head:

"I Can't Hold On Much Longer," Smith Connection (Music Merchant)
    "Want Ads," Honey Cone (Hot Wax)
    Teenage Head (LP), Flamin' Groovies (Buddha*** - CD reissue, but what the hell)
    One Kiss Leads To Another (LP), Hackamore Brick (Kama Sutra)
    "The Rapper," Jaggerz (Kama Sutra)
    "Brother Louie," Stories (Kama Sutra)
    Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall (LP) (Sussex)
    "Indian Giver," 1910 Fruitgum Co. (Buddah)
    Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus (LP), Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus (Buddah)
    Christ Child (LP) (Buddah)

Goddam! Forgot Zal Yanovsky, Captain Beefheart, the Five Stairsteps, and "Stanky (Get Funky)" by Billy Davis on Cobblestone!!

so whats up, anybody with raer buddahs?

I got the first Buddah single ever (not counting earlier Kama Sutra releases): "Yes, We Have No Bananas" by the Mulberry Fruit Band...that and $2 will get me a ride on the CTA bus, but thought you'd like to know.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ***When Buddah was revived in the late nineties, the spelling was changed to the proper way, Buddha.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    I did a Buddah appreciation thread a year or two ago, so I understand where you're coming from...here's my top 10 fave Buddah (and subsidiaries) records off the top of my head:

"I Can't Hold On Much Longer," Smith Connection (Music Merchant)
    "Want Ads," Honey Cone (Hot Wax)
    Teenage Head (LP), Flamin' Groovies (Buddha*** - CD reissue, but what the hell)
    One Kiss Leads To Another (LP), Hackamore Brick (Kama Sutra)
    "The Rapper," Jaggerz (Kama Sutra)
    "Brother Louie," Stories (Kama Sutra)
    Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall (LP) (Sussex)
    "Indian Giver," 1910 Fruitgum Co. (Buddah)
    Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus (LP), Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus (Buddah)
    Christ Child (LP) (Buddah)

Goddam! Forgot Zal Yanovsky, Captain Beefheart, the Five Stairsteps, and "Stanky (Get Funky)" by Billy Davis on Cobblestone!!

so whats up, anybody with raer buddahs?

I got the first Buddah single ever (not counting earlier Kama Sutra releases): "Yes, We Have No Bananas" by the Mulberry Fruit Band...that and $2 will get me a ride on the CTA bus, but thought you'd like to know.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ***When Buddah was revived in the late nineties, the spelling was changed to the proper way, Buddha.

yeah thanks, i was actually thinking more along the lines of straight red labeled buddah releases, not stuff like karma sutra hot wax sussex ect... you know just to boil it down a little bit!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    just bought Walter Heath's 1974 LP two days ago based on the strength of soulstrut recommendations

Great album

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    The always classic 'Gordon's War' of course

just bought Walter Heath's 1974 LP two days ago based on the strength of soulstrut recommendations

Great album

the one with the kid and the rocking chair right?

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    ISIS

- J

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Great album

the one with the kid and the rocking chair right?

thats the one, I tried finding a picture online, but none were available.

but yes, really nice listen and I've always seen it sold for pretty cheap. well worth picking up

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    There are the Cal Tjader and Szabo reissues of Skye material.

I'm looking at all these Buddah's. The list goes on and on
    5 Stairsteps
    Stairsteps
    Black Ivory
    Airto
    Norman Connors
    Chee Chee & Peppy
    Barbra Mason
    Cecil Holmes
    Spirit Of Atlanta
    Jae Mason
    Bulldog
    James Cotton
    Sound Experience
    Modulations *****
    Vitamin E

Man the list goes on forever.

I doubt if several years of digging is enough to unearth them all. I would have listed only the ones you have not unearthed, but I don't which those are.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

Great album

That LP is material!!
    i've owned it for some time now.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Norman Connors
    When I read the title of this thread, that was the first artist that I thought of.
    The label has a ton of good titles.

yeah thanks, i was actually thinking more along the lines of straight red labeled buddah releases, not stuff like karma sutra hot wax sussex ect... you know just to boil it down a little bit!!

i figured thats where you were going. this IS Soul Strut, and the Love From The Sun reference shoulda been a dead giveaway!!! i surmised it'd be more about michael henderson than the brooklyn bridge...

but im such a Buddahphile, i figured their "straight red label" records are only tellin' half the story - let's see some love for them older psychedelic-labeled Buddahs as well (you know Buddah had OTHER designs before then, right?)!! not to mention the subsidiaries...

BUT!! i wouldnt derail another person's thread (although i didnt derail so much as reroute), so i got some red-labels for ya:

- "Two Weeks Notice," Five Stairsteps (I think they were going out just as the reddish/brownish label was coming in...one of their last, from '72)
    - Cross Roads (LP), Jae Mason (kinda but "Lady Pearl" is a standout)
    - "Lonely Town, Lonely Street," Denny Greene
    - "From His Woman To You," Barbara Mason (answer to Shirley Brown's "Woman To Woman")
    - 100% Cotton (LP), James Cotton (straight Chicago blues)
    - "Midnight Train To Georgia," Gladys Knight & the Pips (common as dirt, I know)
    - "Wham Bam," Ohio Ltd. (don't know if this is your thing, but HAD to mention it here, this 1974 reddish- label single is that good...not funky or anything, just badass power-chord rock & roll)

Spirit Of Atlanta

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    As for 45s I don't know the label that well but I really like Joe Anderson ???You And I???...I'm looking for a copy if anyone out there have one for sale.

seen this more than a few times in the finds threads, looks cool, never heard it... psych?

with the older buddah label or??

seen this more than a few times in the finds threads, looks cool, never heard it... psych?

Right, its' psych.

with the older buddah label or??

Older multicolored Buddah label - its' from 1969. (I think Buddah only used the reddish label you speak of from '72-'77.)

• What's up with Music Machine?

And who has a copy of Warlock on Music Machine for yr boy?

What's up with Music Machine?

Music Merchant? I believe that was a third label that Holland-Dozier-Holland had, in addition to Hot Wax and Invictus. Really good early Jones Girls single on that imprint.

ISIS

- J

Ooops, it??s on Kama Sutra

How about Sound Experience - Boogie Woogie?

The drummer dyed his afro white for the photo on the back.

- J

ISIS

no you were right the first time, they were on buddah

• I thought the label Music Machine was a sub of Buddah/ha? What label is Paul Parrish "FOrest of My Mind" on?

I thought the label Music Machine was a sub of Buddah/ha?

I know of a Music Merchant[/b] that was a Buddah sub...H-D-H owned, but Buddah distributed (just like with Hot Wax)

What label is Paul Parrish "FOrest of My Mind" on?
    Music Factory (an MGM label).

• Thanks for the clarification, pickwick.

• And the Warlock lp is indeed on Music Merchant. Want it.

ISIS

I just checked the record and it says Kama Sutra on the cover, but Buddah on the labels. What??s the deal here?

Oh, and I love the record by the way. Anyone else? Toussaint-produced and stuff.

- J

ISIS

I just checked the record and it says Kama Sutra on the cover, but Buddah on the labels. What??s the deal here?

Oh, and I love the record by the way. Anyone else? Toussaint-produced and stuff.

- J

isis..yeah oops thats one of those red labeled buddah lps that i havent gripped for $0.5 yet
    as i recall their first are the better one, girl band playing funky rock, silver bodypainted on the cover.. sorta thing you remember, looks cool!!
    still looking for that one actually...

• I dig the first Isis l/p. Kinda funky...a few stretched out numbers....girl power and alla that.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    No subsidiaries? That really puts a limit on it. I'm not really into that late 60s Kasenatz fruitgum ohio express stuff.

Besides some of the stuff already mentioned:

V/A - Live At Newport (nice Ray Charles track and Valdez version by D.Hathaway)
    Gladys Knight & The Pips - Claudine OST
    New Birth - Blind Baby

Cheap and good.

Couldn't get into that Walter Heath. Schnoozy.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    And the Warlock lp is indeed on Music Merchant. Want it.

How bad you want it?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Couldn't get into that Walter Heath. Schnoozy.

Co-sine. Couple okay cuts but not really worth owning IMO.