la Vie en Rose

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I heard that they skipped the whole chapter of her life during the second world war where she was performing for the Nazis in exchange for being allowed to have her photo taken with prisoners of war. This would seem a bizzare part of her life to gloss over. Can you confirm/deny?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I heard that they skipped the whole chapter of her life during the second world war where she was performing for the Nazis in exchange for being allowed to have her photo taken with prisoners of war. This would seem a bizarre part of her life to gloss over. Can you confirm/deny?
    I kept waiting for WWII to happen. Then when it didn't I forgot all about it. Like I said it was not told in a linear fashion.

I can confirm that they skipped WWII. I know nothing about her performing for the Nazis. I know Maurice Chevalier entertained the Nazis and was friendly to the Vichy government.

That Edith would have done what ever the Nazis/Vichy told her would be consistent with her life as it was told in the movie. She was always controlled by others. Despite the fact that she threw tantrums and made people wait, her career and life was always in the hands of others.

Josephine Baker on the other hand actively worked with the French underground in France and Morocco.

I want to read an Edith Piaf bio now. Do you know which are good?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I heard that they skipped the whole chapter of her life during the second world war where she was performing for the Nazis in exchange for being allowed to have her photo taken with prisoners of war. This would seem a bizarre part of her life to gloss over. Can you confirm/deny?

I kept waiting for WWII to happen. Then when it didn't I forgot all about it. Like I said it was not told in a linear fashion.

I can confirm that they skipped WWII. I know nothing about her performing for the Nazis. I know Maurice Chevalier entertained the Nazis and was friendly to the Vichy government.

That Edith would have done what ever the Nazis/Vichy told her would be consistent with her life as it was told in the movie. She was always controlled by others. Despite the fact that she threw tantrums and made people wait, her career and life was always in the hands of others.

Josephine Baker on the other hand actively worked with the French underground in France and Morocco.

Yeah I'd also like to read a decent bio of her - i only know bits and pieces from here and there and all the highly recommended ones don't seem to have English translations. As I understand it, the thing about her collaborating during wartime was that she used the power to assist PoWs. In exchange for her performances she would be allowed to have her picture taken with PoWs. They would then use those photos to make fake passports for the men to escape with. Hopefully someone on here can expand on this a bit.

This part of her life is very famous in France so it seems odd that they would choose to censor it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Yeah I'd also like to read a decent bio of her - i only know bits and pieces from here and there and all the highly recommended ones don't seem to have English translations. As I understand it, the thing about her collaborating during wartime was that she used the power to assist PoWs. In exchange for her performances she would be allowed to have her picture taken with PoWs. They would then use those photos to make fake passports for the men to escape with. Hopefully someone on here can expand on this a bit.

This part of her life is very famous in France so it seems odd that they would choose to censor it.
    I'm not sure censor is the right word. The movie was only 140 minutes and she lived a lot of life in a relatively short time.

A better movie would be 140 minutes on this part of her life.

All I knew going in was that she was discovered by a cabaret owner singer singing on the streets, her life was tragic, she died too soon. And of course her talent.