primal scream

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Help me remember the early 90s in Manchester, UK. I wasn't there, but I was doing my own thing in Los Angeles. Remind me about little fluffy clouds and all that, please.

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Help me remember the early 90s in Manchester, UK. I wasn't there, but I was doing my own thing in Los Angeles. Remind me about little fluffy clouds and all that, please.

I wasn't there either, but I remember being really into the Happy Mondays; some of their better work holds up well today. Check out the Pills N Thrills LP if you haven't already done so.

Primal Scream were cool as well, but I thought the seminal Screamadelica album was overrated. I guess ya had to be there in order to "get" it. Despite the bad reviews, the Rolling Stones pastiche album they did later (Give Out But Don't Give Up) is a better listen, IMO.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Ah, yes. I had that Happy Mondays CD back in high school, and probably haven't listened to it, aside maybe from "Step On," since then. I'll dig it up and see what it's like 15 years later.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Inspiral Carpets put on one hell of a light show.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    'Star' (from Vanishing Point LP)
    'Loaded'
    'Get Your Rocks Off'
    'Movin On Up'

Can't go wrong with those

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    a little while ago a copy of "screamidelica" came through the shop and I listened to it to see what the hype was about...I didnt get it. Why is it such a revered album?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    It was ahead of it's time when it came out, and pretty eclectic for a chart-topping album.
    I still enjoy it.

a little while ago a copy of "screamidelica" came through the shop and I listened to it to see what the hype was about...I didnt get it. Why is it such a revered album?

Were you on 3 hits of x when you listened to it?

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

one could argue that it didn??t age well

• 'Loaded'
    loaded basically kicked off the indie dance revolution.

i love all things manchester.

happy mondays
    joy division
    the fall (!!!!!!!!)

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    "Damaged" on Screamadelica is a great track. Like a lost Exile outtake or something.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    'Star' (from Vanishing Point LP)
    'Loaded'
    'Get Your Rocks Off'
    'Movin On Up'

Can't go wrong with those

Great fuckin band.

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    i love sonic flower groove... lil' jangle...

stretching it out a bit...
    bobby g in J&MC (psycho candy)
    stone roses 1st LP + "fools gold" + "one love" 12"s
    the la's-s/t CD (liverpool)
    shack's-waterpistol CD (liverpool)
    sabres of paradise-haunted dancehall CD (don't front on andy weatherall)

heard real good things about primal scream's screamadelica gig at the commodore in vancouver. very hazy from all account... lots of drugs being consumed...

the song "screamadelica" is rad too...

Don't forget this one, mate...

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Great B-sides on that Sally Cinnamon EP.

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts

Don't forget this one, mate...

YES!!! UK!!!

more!!! RIDE!!!

• There's a remix of the title track to "Give Out But Don't Give Up" that either Tricky or G. Barrow did. It's filthy.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts

A couple of reasons. It represents a workaday British indie rock band revitalising themselves and their career via the discovery and creative application of ecstasy and late 80's dance beats. Also, much like the Stone Roses' debut, it's a record very closely linked with the first drug experiences of an entire generation of British music critics, and as such garners perhaps a little more praise than it truly deserves. Personally, I like it - there's some great songs on there - but whenever an indie band turns their guitars down or throws them away, someone over here is certain to describe the resultant record as a "groundbreaking classic", regardless of whether or not it actually is.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    There's a remix of the title track to "Give Out But Don't Give Up" that either Tricky or G. Barrow did. It's filthy.

Geoff Barrow did it. It's on the 10" - it's really fucking tripped-out.