Bob Chase & Woody Herman - "Gettin' It On"? (RR!)

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
pretty sure thats the title. heard it on the oldies station last week. was pretty uptempo and slightly funky if i recallanyone got any info plaese? an mp3 would be groovy too thanks

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    pretty sure thats the title. heard it on the oldies station last week. was pretty uptempo and slightly funky if i recall
    anyone got any info plaese? an mp3 would be groovy too

thanks

Sounds like you're talking about "Get It On" by Chase, a jazz-rock band founded by trumpeter Bill Chase, who played with Woody Herman before going solo. This was a hit in 1971, and came from their self-titled debut album. They had three Epic LP's in all before Chase (and a few other members) died in a plane crash in 1974.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    pretty sure thats the title. heard it on the oldies station last week. was pretty uptempo and slightly funky if i recall

thanks

Sounds like you're talking about "Get It On" by Chase, a jazz-rock band founded by trumpeter Bill Chase, who played with Woody Herman before going solo. This was a hit in 1971, and came from their self-titled debut album. They had three Epic LP's in all before Chase (and a few other members) died in a plane crash in 1974.
    That is actually a real good cheap 45 that should get a mention in the next "tell me some cheap/funky 45s" thread.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

thanks

thanks fellas. I have 1 Chase album and used to have another, but this was not on either.
    cheers

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

thanks

That is actually a real good cheap 45 that should get a mention in the next "tell me some cheap/funky 45s" thread.

I don't know, man, I like it too but to call it funk is giving it too much credit. "Get It On" always sounded to me like exactly what it was - a bunch of jazz/rock guys TRYING to get "fonky." This ain't Tower of Power we're talking about here...but I ain't hatin', this is still a great song in spite of itself.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

thanks

I don't know, man, I like it too but to call it funk is giving it too much credit. "Get It On" always sounded to me like exactly what it was - a bunch of jazz/rock guys TRYING to get "fonky." This ain't Tower of Power we're talking about here...but I ain't hatin', this is still a great song in spite of itself.
    I should probably have been clearer in that "Funky" when used to describe that song refers to a Blood Sweat & Tears style of "Funky" "Horn Rock".

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I was shocked when some local high school marching band did a Bill Chase tribute medley at a competition I was at earlier this year. I guess the jazz-rock thing wasn't just a fad for band directors.