Fines for MP3 sharing.

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Hundreds of people are facing fines of up to $150,000 (??100,000) for sharing music files without permission.
The US music industry has started legal action, with many observers accusing the recording industry of being heavy-handed.

Exactly 261 people received lawsuits on Monday on behalf of Universal Music Group, BMG, EMI, Sony Music and Warner Music, with more to follow.
This stuff seems to be kicking off all over the place now.

I was thinking about it and this could bring an end to the whole P2P culture cause eventually everyone could resort to shifting all their shared files to other folders until nobody is sharing (or able to download) anything.

Thoughts??

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    This has come up before... they're only suing US residents, correct?

Its been said that even if no one in the US was sharing, most things would still be available...

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    It'll just go to FTP again. This file sharing shit is wack. You should have to come off something to get something like back when the BBS days were running. It'll also bring the $$ back to this shit.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Newsgroups for me.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    this will not be the end of p2p, other p2p programs like waste and such will take over. p2p with encrypted indentities and transfers. only downside is that its slower for us with fast connections, cus the encryption is pretty slow and eats alot of cpu. if ur on dsl or whatever you wount notice a difference.

piracy will never die!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Newsgroups for me.

and forums.

file "sharing" in the literal sense will never die, even if p2p clients do...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    this could bring an end to the whole P2P
    Thoughts??

p2p means peer to peer? Which means friends sharing with friends? I don't know much about culture, but I will never stop sharing music friends.

Name withheld

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

p2p means peer to peer? Which means friends sharing with friends? I don't know much about culture, but I will never stop sharing music friends.

Name withheld

JEAH!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i'm concerned for the brilliant mp3 blogs out there and even message board forums. soulstrut became infinitely better for myself since the advent of "yousendit"